Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

58 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

And in another 100 years it will be like this, but even worse, :cheesy:

Not to nit pick, but no way of knowing whether pics were taken at same high or low tide. New York has about a 2 meter tidal range.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not to nit pick, but no way of knowing whether pics were taken at same high or low tide. New York has about a 2 meter tidal range.

Ok so here's two of LaJolla taken at low tide (no beach at high tide), 1894 and 2015.

The rocks at the waterline are essentially the same (little bit of erosion).

LaJolla18942015.jpg

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Ok so here's two of LaJolla taken at low tide (no beach at high tide), 1894 and 2015.

LaJolla18942015.jpg

I don't have a dog in this fight, just stating a fact. I'll let the global warming folks have at it.

40 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I wish the environmentalists could focus on controlling pollution, which we can control, instead of climate change, which we can't control.

That way, they could gain some credibility.

Nobody can deny that we are full of plastic waste up to our ears.

Environmentalists do focus on pollution, including man made CO2 and other man made greenhouse gasses. 

The damage plastic is doing to the environment is also an issue Environmentalist focus on.

Some focus on one issue, some have a broader focus.

They have science backing their credibility.

40 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I wish the environmentalists could focus on controlling pollution, which we can control, instead of climate change, which we can't control.

That way, they could gain some credibility.

Nobody can deny that we are full of plastic waste up to our ears.

I do frown when I buy something and it is wrapped in a huge amount of plastic. If it is posh and expensive it will take ages to get to it.

Even food, more plastic than food, all just to make the buyer feel good......

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

LaJolla18942015.jpg

You post photos and claim they were respectively taken years apart at low/high tide.

You provide no evidence when they were taken, year of photographs or tide.

26 minutes ago, transam said:

I do frown when I buy something and it is wrapped in a huge amount of plastic. If it is posh and expensive it will take ages to get to it.

Yep, sometimes the package seems to cost more than the item itself.

56 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Environmentalists do focus on pollution, including man made CO2 and other man made greenhouse gasses. 

The damage plastic is doing to the environment is also an issue Environmentalist focus on.

Some focus on one issue, some have a broader focus.

They have science backing their credibility.

Aren't you the poster who claimed, few days ago, that "science" controls the environment ?

..Still waiting for you to clarify on that assertion..

The way some people use the name of "science" reminds me of medieval priests using the name of God, with the very purpose to explain everything, and eventually fill their pockets.

I'm not claiming to be an expert in climatology, but i don't have a ring in my nose either.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You post photos and claim they were respectively taken years apart at low/high tide.

You provide no evidence when they were taken, year of photographs or tide.

The high tide mark is not hard to see in the New York example. A little harder to see in the LaJolla example.

Last word:

There are climate change deniers who claim climate change is nothing to do with human activity, and those who claim (apparently) that climate change it not happening at all. What is it with both groups?

It is rational to act according to given scientific evidence yet they choose to cavil endlessly (and bitterly) to disprove it. What exactly are they up to? It seems that what it is really all about for them is absolving humans (and thereby themselves) of any guilt, and giving humans (and thereby themselves) carte blanche to carry on as before. Even assuming that it is in their own perceived personal interests, and that of their heirs and assigns, to do so, why do they not consider that they might be wrong, and that there is long-term benefit to be gained from some kinds of adaptive behaviour? What is it that they are so unwilling to change in themselves?

I conclude it's the simple fear of a downturn, the simple fear that they will have to have less, the simple fear that it is the end of the party. That is so unacceptable to them that they find themselves arguing that black is white. The cognitive dissonance inside their heads must make their ears ring. (It is the same intellectual paralysis, by the way, that has the Brexit remainers in a very similar vice-like grip of fear.)

The most remarkable thing of all about the deniers is that they don't even accept any doubt. Such is the corner they must paint themselves into, because they presumably know that refusing to take prudent measures in the face of doubt is irrational.

The inability to accept bad news is a neurosis - a selfish fear, pure and simple, and selfish fear leads to the continuation of non-adaptive behaviour that threatens everyone and everything. I suggest the deniers ask themselves what on earth, really, they think they are doing.

22 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Last word:

There are climate change deniers who claim climate change is nothing to do with human activity, and those who claim (apparently) that climate change it not happening at all. What is it with both groups?

Dunno about climate change, but I'm denying there has been any measurable sea level change in the past 120 years, and suspect there won't be any measurable sea level change in the next 120 years.

Banks still giving loans on beachside properties seems to support my theory as they aren't known for risk taking on personal property loans.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Dunno about climate change, but I'm denying there has been any measurable sea level change in the past 120 years, and suspect there won't be any measurable sea level change in the next 120 years.

Banks still giving loans on beachside properties seems to support my theory as they aren't known for risk taking on personal property loans.

And that is enough for you to refuse to advocate any adaptive behaviour at all? Or are you just arguing the toss?

3 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

And that is enough for you to refuse to advocate any adaptive behaviour at all? Or are you just arguing the toss?

I've got a solar panel/grid tie inverter feeding into my household electricity and I follow the kids around turning off all the stuff they leave on, my monthy leccy bill is now down to around 1,000bht.

I'm guessing that's more than you've bothered to do.

On 9/24/2019 at 12:40 PM, hyku1147 said:

Another possibility is that her Aspergers is being exploited. Namely, her requisite focus for proper expression could be interpreted as deep, genuine emotional pronouncement.

Yes indeed. A recent article in 'Spiked' suggests that she needs help or 'saving'.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/09/24/save-greta/

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've got a solar panel/grid tie inverter feeding into my household electricity and I follow the kids around turning off all the stuff they leave on, my monthy leccy bill is now down to around 1,000bht.

I'm guessing that's more than you've bothered to do.

yeah, but you just do that cause you're a cheap bast…..

26 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Good to see Greta be herself when she doesn't have a script in front of her, or a handler.

Good to see posters keeping up with the topic and not rehashing clips and nonsense aired more than once already. Oh....wait.

Again, then - what script? What "handlers"?

And are you seriously holding a teen with Asperger to the same standards not applied to Trump by his supporters? Plus, actually kinda hard to follow what they guy is on about.

On 9/29/2019 at 4:16 AM,  Sujo said: 
Some angry old men here just because a teenage girl told world leaders to do their job.

Exactly. The human world is about power. Old (White in particular) men feel they should have the power and control, over both women and the young. Greta is a teenage girl, and she is triggering a lot of the most pathetic old men who feel that their neat little world order is being threatened. What (They feel) is even more annoying is that she is not sexualized, and an exploitable object, like the poor girls from Isaan. How sad can they get.

As the Mothers of Invention song went "If she were my daughter I'd................".

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 19.39.59.png

8 hours ago, transam said:

Then don't buy it, especially so when it comes to food.

On 9/29/2019 at 4:16 AM,  Sujo said:  Some angry old men here just because a teenage girl told world leaders to do their job.

Exactly. The human world is about power. Old (White in particular) men feel they should have the power and control, over both women and the young. Greta is a teenage girl, and she is triggering a lot of the most pathetic old men who feel that their neat little world order is being threatened. What (They feel) is even more annoying is that she is not sexualized, and an exploitable object, like the poor girls from Isaan. How sad can they get.

As the Mothers of Invention song went "If she were my daughter I'd................".
1972097754_ScreenShot2019-09-27at19_39_59.png.eafe52a1f4b1d958e8daedfa8f1e4990.png

Same old playbook. No real response so just attack.

Sounds you have your own anger issues to work through.

Archived