Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

The latest from Oz (I'm not trawling through 77 pages to see if this has already been posted!) :

Well, it’s the latest from Sky news at night, the echo chamber which does its best to be a third rate Australian version of Fox News. Watched mainly by people who scream at the telly and easily triggered by a 16 year old girl wagging her finger at them.  

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, samran said:

Well, it’s the latest from Sky news at night, the echo chamber which does its best to be a third rate Australian version of Fox News. Watched mainly by people who scream at the telly and easily triggered by a 16 year old girl wagging her finger at them.  

...and the content?

5 hours ago, RideJocky said:

Exactly. The human world is about power. Old (White in particular) men feel they should have the power and control, over both women and the young. Greta is a teenage girl, and she is triggering a lot of the most pathetic old men who feel that their neat little world order is being threatened. What (They feel) is even more annoying is that she is not sexualized, and an exploitable object, like the poor girls from Isaan. How sad can they get.

As the Mothers of Invention song went "If she were my daughter I'd................".
1972097754_ScreenShot2019-09-27at19_39_59.png.eafe52a1f4b1d958e8daedfa8f1e4990.png

Same old playbook. No real response so just attack.

Sounds you have your own anger issues to work through.

Oh dear, Greta hurt you.

5 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:
  On 9/29/2019 at 4:16 AM,  Sujo said: 
Some angry old men here just because a teenage girl told world leaders to do their job.

Exactly. The human world is about power. Old (White in particular) men feel they should have the power and control, over both women and the young. Greta is a teenage girl, and she is triggering a lot of the most pathetic old men who feel that their neat little world order is being threatened. What (They feel) is even more annoying is that she is not sexualized, and an exploitable object, like the poor girls from Isaan. How sad can they get.

As the Mothers of Invention song went "If she were my daughter I'd................".

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 19.39.59.png

Anti white racist comments and ageism. Typical of the double standards of the extreme left and eco extremists. And someone who does not know the Lyrics of Frank Zappa. 'I'd cover that girl in chocolate and ride her till the cows come home' or the message behind them. The elderly wise men who reject Thunberg started eco consciousness in the 60s and 70s and are part of western societies who have produced legislation to deal with climate change. Thunberg should preach in Russia   China, Arabia or Africa.  She is a silly little girl and though  we should sympathise with her  she should not be allowed to spread her hateful lies about doomsday and catastrophe. Its just promoting neurosis and fear.

30 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Anti white racist comments and ageism. Typical of the double standards of the extreme left and eco extremists. And some who does not know the Lyrics of Frank Zappa. 'I'd cover that girl in chocolate and ride her till the cows come home' The elderly wise men who reject Thunberg started eco consciousnessbin the 60s and 70s and are part of western societies who have produced legislation to deal with climate change. Thunberg should preach in Russia   China, Arabia or Africa.  She is a silly little girl and we should sympathise with her but she should be allowed to spread her hateful lies. 

Yes I know the rest of that lyric,  I left it out on purpose, you don't seem to understand what it implies in this context.

She isn't lying IMHO, and why say hateful. She is saying what she can where she can. These other countries almost certainly wouldn't let her in. 

All the same I can't imagine that this amount of exposure is good for her, whatever the cause. Time to go home and have a normal life I would have thought. 

BTW I am neither extreme left (I would be seen as a moderate in the LP) nor an eco extremist. Climate change needs to be tackled, but we have to be practical about how we do it. 

Anti white racist comments and ageism...............this gave me a big laugh, I am a white man in his 70s, I am perfectly entitled to be critical of my peer group if I want without being subject to these slurs. There are many old white men like me who surprisingly are not unhinged with extreme right wing political views.

Yes Thunberg worries me just like the deluded young people in this video. Convinced that they have a right to own the future irrespective of all the work, effort and suffering of the previous generations. Youth worship and dismissal of the elderly is a fundamental aspect of 'Nazi think'.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

He supports her. He is against elderly white males. 

Who isn't? White middle aged straight meat eating men are to cause of every evil in this world and must be exterminated. That's the idea I see behind basically all western leftist movements these days.

53 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Yes Thunberg worries me just like the deluded young people in this video. Convinced that they have a right to own the future irrespective of all the work, effort and suffering of the previous generations. Youth worship and dismissal of the elderly is a fundamental aspect of 'Nazi think'.

worries  me too,have had enough high school shootings in the USA from mentally ill children

On 9/28/2019 at 4:35 PM, Bluespunk said:

Your first paragraph was so funny I forgot to laugh...

Then I started to sigh when I saw your solution.

And your so much better solution is...……............……......…..

At least I have a solution. Seems to me that all those kids protesting can do is shout and expect other people to come up with solutions. IMO, if one wants to complain, have a better way to promote.

I doubt any of them would be willing to sacrifice their own way of life if it "saved" the planet.

BTW, the planet will be fine whatever happens to humans. If we all died off tomorrow, Gaia would just start over, again. 

7 hours ago, samran said:

Condescending smug BS dressed up as concern for the young lass.

Do all you blokes get your lines from the same place? Sounds like it. 

Surely he was addressing the content of the item, not concern for her?

How does a 16 year old get that angry? It took me 65 years of <deleted> to get that angry.

On 9/28/2019 at 4:43 PM, mauGR1 said:

Sorry, but that's very simplistic, are you advocating a sort of dictatorship who will sterilise all the women ?

Or just the chosen ones ?

If the pension system collapses, what you do ? Grow beans ?

You don't have children, fair enough, but children lighten up the world, and women and men love having children, it gives meaning to the life of many.

So, your "solution" is not feasible imho, probably it would be more disastrous than any climate change.

Yes, a one world government that will sterilise everyone after having ONE child.

Have you not noticed that the pension system has already collapsed? Everyone I know is saying it can't continue, and everyone has to fund their own retirement in future.

Children lighten up the world? 5555555555555

Have to differ on that. Children were horrible beasts when I was one, and from what I see haven't changed much. How much bullying on "social media"?

Some parents love their children, but many don't. 

I agree, it's not feasible, as most people would never give up their right to breed, at least till the government stopped paying them to do so.

5 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Climate change needs to be tackled, but we have to be practical about how we do it. 

Sorry, but think about that. Climate has changed since the planet solidified from a gas cloud, and always will.

There has NEVER been a period when the climate was perfect. So what do you want to do with the climate? go back to an ice age, back to when the Thames froze? Back to hotter when they grew grapes in north England; even hotter when trees grew in Antarctica? Problem with messing with things like climate is one never knows what the result will be.

I know people are complaining, but they never say what they want to change climate to. Keep it the same as now? Loads of storms and droughts and floods?

Substitute POLLUTION for climate change and I'm with you 100%

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, a one world government that will sterilise everyone after having ONE child.

Have you not noticed that the pension system has already collapsed? Everyone I know is saying it can't continue, and everyone has to fund their own retirement in future.

Children lighten up the world? 5555555555555

Have to differ on that. Children were horrible beasts when I was one, and from what I see haven't changed much. How much bullying on "social media"?

Some parents love their children, but many don't. 

I agree, it's not feasible, as most people would never give up their right to breed, at least till the government stopped paying them to do so.

I think "one world government" is a thing of the future, by that time we'll probably all have a microchip under the skin, not sure i would like to live in such a world.

I guess all retirees are still getting their pension, so the system is not collapsed yet.

The children are "horrible beasts ? Obviously we don't come from the same place.

And the last paragraph, yes many people are poor, and they have too many children, i can agree that they should know better, but i don't agree that anyone on this planet should starve.

Well, we don't agree on almost anything today, such is life. :smile:

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I think "one world government" is a thing of the future, by that time we'll probably all have a microchip under the skin, not sure i would like to live in such a world.

I guess all retirees are still getting their pension, so the system is not collapsed yet.

The children are "horrible beasts ? Obviously we don't come from the same place.

And the last paragraph, yes many people are poor, and they have too many children, i can agree that they should know better, but i don't agree that anyone on this planet should starve.

Well, we don't agree on almost anything today, such is life. :smile:

I should have said "collapsing" re pensions. I'm happily collecting mine at the moment. Other people's children may not be so lucky.

Microchips under the skin- for sure. It's already feasible- apparently some think it would be trendy to do so. They think being able to wave their arm over a sensor to pay for stuff is worth being tracked everywhere they go. 

People don't grow food much anymore- it's all becoming mechanised now. The old way of planting and harvesting by hand is almost over, which is apparently why farmland in Japan is being deserted. My farmer friend lives on a farm that had 3 farm hands as well as his father working. Now it's just him and his son. Contractors with machines do everything now. In NZ they are even developing machines to pick fruit, as NZ people don't want to do that anymore. They have to import poor people to pick fruit now.

My point is that people don't have to have lots of children to farm anymore.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My point is that people don't have to have lots of children to farm anymore.

Well. Obviously overpopulation is at the root of the problem, but i would totally disagree with a forced sterilisation... It would be just ugly.

Hopefully people will grow a higher consciousness to deal with the various issues while respecting individual freedom and rights.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:59 AM, donnacha said:

Seriously, is this what social media has done to human brains?

Instead of calm, rational discussion of the available facts, you win control of society by simply shouting more hysterically and hiding your agenda behind a confused, deeply confused schoolgirl whose multiple mental issues have been written about extensively by her mother?

Yeah, I fully agree with you, mindless denial the only form of "rational discussion". Can you provide facts to prove that we are not destroying the planet we are supposed to hand over to our children.

4 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Yeah, I fully agree with you, mindless denial the only form of "rational discussion". Can you provide facts to prove that we are not destroying the planet we are supposed to hand over to our children.

in essence, from 16 to 28 minutes,

and from 58 minutes to 1.02 hours,

so a grand total of 16 minutes

4 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

We are indeed destroying the world that supports us, by pollution, overexploitation of resources, overpopulation and greed.

However, building bird killing windmills, and imposing taxes is not going to change that.

Gaia is not going to kind to us for destroying the wonderful world we were given to look after.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Surely he was addressing the content of the item, not concern for her?

How does a 16 year old get that angry? It took me 65 years of <deleted> to get that angry.

Don't think I've ever managed to get that angry.

I can manage to shout at my computer for about 60 seconds when it's been really naughty.

But in reality nothing really matters that much.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The obvious solution, if the climate change speculations was real.

Ban all forms of motorised private transport, and stop all recreational travel.

Probably wouldn't be popular, but what the heck, it's for the planet!

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We are indeed destroying the world that supports us, by pollution, overexploitation of resources, overpopulation and greed.

However, building bird killing windmills, and imposing taxes is not going to change that.

Gaia is not going to kind to us for destroying the wonderful world we were given to look after.

Yep, nothing to worry.

Major catastrophes have happened in the past, it will happen again.

Meanwhile, keep calm and be happy :smile:

40 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well. Obviously overpopulation is at the root of the problem, but i would totally disagree with a forced sterilisation... It would be just ugly.

Hopefully people will grow a higher consciousness to deal with the various issues while respecting individual freedom and rights.

Sorry, but if humans want the species to survive they have to stop exceeding the carrying capacity of the environment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink

That experiment showed what happens to rats when they are too many.

At the moment the most overpopulated areas export their excess people to less crowded and wealthier areas,  but once that option ends, as it will, what happens then?

That's not even taking into account the lack of enough fresh water in some countries.

If humans will not limit their numbers, Gaia will do so and that will really be ugly.

Everyone should remember the Black Death of the middle ages. With diseases becoming antibiotic resistant ( through abuse of those drugs ) another Black Death is a  very real possibility, and in the crowded cities we have now it will spread like wildfire.

Measles is a very easy disease to prevent, but seems humans can't even do that, so what happens if Ebola or similar starts in New York, or London, or Bangkok?

Archived