Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

Just now, BritManToo said:

Those who currently study 'climate science', would be the same people that used to study 'sociology'

It's a easy degree, no quality high school grades required, no real science involved, and you can pass by agreeing with your lecturers.

Real degrees are in medicine, pharmacy, physics, electronics, engineering.

You can add journalism in there. They were all attached to each other at the department of humanistic studies of the university where I did research in computer science, along with yet another one, women studies aka feminists. Birds of feather.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a radio interview with the lead scientist in seal level

evaluation in the infamous ipcc report think its an insult

to science to use kids to push the agenda.

(as you might have come to expect, he was ignored

by the ipcc when it turned out he wouldnt sell his pride)

59 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Ok, nothing wrong with your post, but i have a little objection.

If i wanted to sell, say, solar panels, i can hire a scientist or 2, and let them explain to the populace, on a newspaper page which i can buy, that solar panels are good for you and for the environment.

After making some money with solar panels, i can finance another scientific study, that highlights how solar panels are somehow damaging the environment, while, say, wind turbines are the real solution.. and the cycle goes on..

Now, i'm not saying that wind turbines or solar panels or nuclear energy are the right (or the wrong) choice, i'm just saying that it's the economic interest who is on the driver's seat, and we have to be vigilant on where it's taking us.

The fossil fuel industry is awash with money and always has been.

Despite their efforts to fund scientist to prove anthropomorphic climate change a myth, they have been able to do so. - Bang goes your ‘pay a scientist’ argument.

Failing to challenge the scientific consensus the fossil fuel industry switched tactics and set about funding advertising, lobbyists and denialist outfits to spread distrust in the scientific consensus.

Which is where you get your arguments and find your part to play in spreading nonsense.

43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Those who currently study 'climate science', would be the people that historically studied 'sociology'

It's a easy degree, no quality high school grades required, no real science involved, and you can pass by agreeing with your lecturers.

Apparently, from the OP, a socially inept 16 year old girl is as worthy of debating climate science as anyone else.

Utter hogwash.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The fossil fuel industry is awash with money and always has been.

Despite their efforts to fund scientist to prove anthropomorphic climate change a myth, they have been able to do so. - Bang goes your ‘pay a scientist’ argument.

Failing to challenge the scientific consensus the fossil fuel industry switched tactics and set about funding advertising, lobbyists and denialist outfits to spread distrust in the scientific consensus.

Which is where you get your arguments and find your part to play in spreading nonsense.

Sorry, but 'staying vigilant' is not nonsense, at least not more nonsense of your mantra of "scientific consensus", which is undoubtedly existing in your dreams.

If the fossil fuels industry chiefs are not complete morons, they are most likely, by now, investing on renewable energies, which is a positive.

I am simply not expecting the big corporations to act just for the benefit of the planet, that would be unreal.

5 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Sorry, but 'staying vigilant' is not nonsense, at least not more nonsense of your mantra of "scientific consensus", which is undoubtedly existing in your dreams.

If the fossil fuels industry chiefs are not complete morons, they are most likely, by now, investing on renewable energies, which is a positive.

I am simply not expecting the big corporations to act just for the benefit of the planet, that would be unreal.

Who is claiming big corporations act or might act just for the benefit of the planet?

I ask because it’s not something I’ve ever heard.

12 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Who is claiming big corporations act or might act just for the benefit of the planet?

No one has claimed that , a poster stated that he wasnt expecting them to do that .

That is why youve never heard of it , because no one has stated it 

I made some point on this long thread, i'll let you connect the dots.

Now we both could be right or we both could be wrong, and there is something called "reality" which can be quite subjective, depending on one's point of view.

To answer your question, science it's an expensive business, find out who's paying the bills, and there you'll get your answer.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

I made some point on this long thread, i'll let you connect the dots.

Now we both could be right or we both could be wrong, and there is something called "reality" which can be quite subjective, depending on one's point of view.

To answer your question, science it's an expensive business, find out who's paying the bills, and there you'll get your answer.

Yes science is expensive, but not so expensive the fossil fuel industry can’t afford to pay scientists to undertake research.

When they do, the results don’t support the fossil fuel industry’s claims.

Hence the efforts to undermine science with propaganda helped along by shills eager to do their bit.

The vitriol and bile poured out on a child in this thread by the denialist shills being text book examples.

Yes science is expensive, but not so expensive the fossil fuel industry can’t afford to pay scientists to undertake research.

Hence the efforts to undermine science with propaganda helped along by shills eager to do their bit.

The vitriol and bile poured out on a child in this thread by the denialist shills being text book examples.

Indeed.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well, i stated repeatedly that i admire and respect Greta, and all the idealist teens who shout for a better world.

Science is not and will never be settled, otherwise is not science. No one in this thread is undermining science, we are just discussing it.

Apparently, fossil fuels, besides being environment and health damaging, are a finite resource, so it's quite rational to invest on research on cleaner and renewable energies.

That said, the " climate alarmism" is not only unnecessary, but it may cloud the judgement of many.

Personally, i'm more alarmed by wars, social injustice, slavery, and so on.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Those who currently study 'climate science', would be the people that historically studied 'sociology'

Apparently, from the OP, a socially inept 16 year old girl is as worthy of debating climate science as anyone else.

No, climate science is just as much a proper degree as physics or engineering, both of which it is closely related to. The clue is in the word Science, science is a method, not a faith system. We are not talking about gender studies or some such here. 

I haven't really listened to Greta much, but my understanding is that she is not debating the science, or claiming to be an expert. She accepts the overwhelming evidence (As any sensible person should IMO) and is advocating a response to the situation.

On 9/24/2019 at 3:45 PM, Jingthing said:

I think you're out of luck. She's a superstar by now.

With no offence to you, I think rather in that case that she is out of luck.....the powerful oil tycoons do not like trouble makers....and the icy roads can get very slippy in some regions...

11 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i stated repeatedly that i admire and respect Greta, and all the idealist teens who shout for a better world.

Science is not and will never be settled, otherwise is not science. No one in this thread is undermining science, we are just discussing it.

Apparently, fossil fuels, besides being environment and health damaging, are a finite resource, so it's quite rational to invest on research on cleaner and renewable energies.

That said, the " climate alarmism" is not only unnecessary, but it may cloud the judgement of many.

Personally, i'm more alarmed by wars, social injustice, slavery, and so on.

i think she is symptomatic of the entire climate change

gang, inadequate education but a lot of hysterical yelling,

it follows then that she becomes a natural spokesman for the bunch

4 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I haven't really listened to Greta much, but my understanding is that she is not debating the science, or claiming to be an expert. She accepts the overwhelming evidence (As any sensible person should IMO) and is advocating a response to the situation.

Not sure what she wants, except to know who stole her bike, uh, dreams that was. No description of the said dreams was provided so a tad difficult to put an APB on the thief.

2 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

So the people who don't believe in Climate change have an adequate education then. ????????????

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Not sure what she wants, except to know who stole her bike, uh, dreams that was. No description of the said dreams was provided so a tad difficult to put an APB on the thief.

from what little experience i have of young girls,

she wants an iphone

9 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

So the people who don't believe in Climate change have an adequate education then. ????????????

yes, i think its safe to say we who dont buy the drivel

typically have an engineering degree,

so we know numbers, statistics, and can filter out noise from signal better then school dropouts & humanists like yourself

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

Well, first i would avoid to confuse "man made climate change" which is an unproven theory, with extreme levels of pollution which are very real.

2nd, i would avoid to belittle and despise a 16 yrs old and the youth in general.

The positive thing about this whole drama, is that people of every age are discussing the various issues of our planet, and this is imho, a step forward in the right direction.

8 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I have a science degree and a postgrad.

Don't know about climate change, but I do know the sea level hasn't changed a measurable amount in the past 120 years, and that does cast a little doubt on the whole 'science' IMHO.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

She's in need of some decent parenting, looks more like a victim than an advocate to me.

Ok, in some way she's a victim, but if you look at thousands of children around the world, exploited, maimed or killed, or even sold as slaves, it's not that big deal.

Surely, if i had a 16 yrs old daughter, i'd rather have her having the life of an ordinary 16 yrs old.

But that's just me, i wouldn't dare to criticise Greta's parents choices.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Surely, if i had a 16 yrs old daughter, i'd rather have her having the life of an ordinary 16 yrs old.

But that's just me, i wouldn't dare to criticise Greta's parents choices.

I want my kids to be happy, not to hate.

But maybe Greta's hate is a part of her mental illness and nothing to do with her parents.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I want my kids to be happy, not to hate.

But maybe Greta's hate is a part of her mental illness and nothing to do with her parents.

Mental illness ? I don't think so, and it's normal for idealist teens to get angry when they see some injustice, real or perceived.

I think she's very bright instead; perhaps she's a bit introverted, that makes her more mature and adult then her age.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Your mom and I appear to have similar methods for dealing with visits from our unwanted children. 

My mum is/was pleased to see me and welcomed me back  and her Caribbean cruise was booked a few months before I decided to return to the UK .

No comparison 

30 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

yes, i think its safe to say we who dont buy the drivel

typically have an engineering degree,

so we know numbers, statistics, and can filter out noise from signal better then school dropouts & humanists like yourself

You wouldn't know anything about "typically". It's not like anyone commenting on this topic gives his full credentials (and how would they be verified, anyway?). Going solely on evidence of posts made, I kinda doubt your wide brush assertions. If anything, quite a contingent of conspiracy theory and pseudo science fans among climate change deniers.

Archived