Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Story says she has Asperger's ........ google tells me that's a mental illness.

I will check later, but i am convinced that every human being, even the brightest and most successful have some form of so called "mental illness".

I like a proverb:

"When the finger is pointing at the moon, the fool examines the finger."

That's not to say that you are a fool, of course, but surely Greta is the finger in the metaphore.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Mental illness ? I don't think so, and it's normal for idealist teens to get angry when they see some injustice, real or perceived.

I think she's very bright instead; perhaps she's a bit introverted, that makes her more mature and adult then her age.

She may be bright, ADHD and aspergers sufferers often are, but aspergers in particular is known for difficulty with the management and expression of emotions. Their brains are wired so different they look weird in MRIs, etc.

google "aspergers emotional problems"

I can't imagine feeding fear and globally unsolvable problems to an aspergers sufferer. They need emotional support, love, and kindness to deal with their own rather intimidating experiences.

The fossil fuel industry is awash with money and always has been.

Despite their efforts to fund scientist to prove anthropomorphic climate change a myth, they have been able to do so. - Bang goes your ‘pay a scientist’ argument.

Failing to challenge the scientific consensus the fossil fuel industry switched tactics and set about funding advertising, lobbyists and denialist outfits to spread distrust in the scientific consensus.

Which is where you get your arguments and find your part to play in spreading nonsense.

Why would the fossil fuel industry waste money funding climate studies?

What do they stand to gain?

What do they stand to lose?

Do you have any proof of all this funding?

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

She may be bright, ADHD and aspergers sufferers often are, but aspergers in particular is known for difficulty with the management and expression of emotions. Their brains are wired so different they look weird it in MRIs, etc.

google "aspergers emotional problems"

I can't imagine feeding fear and globally unsolvable problems to an aspergers sufferer. They need emotional support, love, and kindness to deal with their own rather intimidating experiences.

Just back from wiki, well, i have plenty of those symptoms, perhaps, we all have a bit.

I won't call it mental illness.

Mentally ill is one who kills for profit, or just for fun imho.

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Story says she has Asperger's ........ google tells me that's a mental illness.

Don't know how updated your Google is, but Asperger's Syndrome is, to the best of my knowledge, not defined as a mental disorder for a few years now. I think nowadays it is usually referenced as a developmental disorder.

No, climate science is just as much a proper degree as physics or engineering, both of which it is closely related to. The clue is in the word Science, science is a method, not a faith system.

Well let’s go ahead and add political science while we’re at it.

Do you have a link to the course work required to get a bachelor’s degree in “Climate Science”?

How about a link to the accreditation process a university has go through to to award degrees in “Climate Science”?

Thanks

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Ok, as you probably have noticed, i don't feel the need to be always aligned with "official" science.

So, you're wasting time on me ????

Fair enough, let's just say there's something wrong with the CPU.

11 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Just back from wiki, well, i have plenty of those symptoms, perhaps, we all have a bit.

I won't call it mental illness.

Mentally ill is one who kills for profit, or just for fun imho.

I agree. It's not a mental illness, they are built that way, Aspingers and ADHD are often genetic. Maybe nothing wrong with the CPU, it's just a different design, better at other things.

5 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

It is interesting that the Aspergers was made public.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's certainly a marketing point and a fine shield. But it's not like it could be ignored anyway. On this score, and unrelated to the larger climate issues, I agree that's not how I would define responsible parenting.

49 minutes ago, Morch said:

You wouldn't know anything about "typically". It's not like anyone commenting on this topic gives his full credentials (and how would they be verified, anyway?). Going solely on evidence of posts made, I kinda doubt your wide brush assertions. If anything, quite a contingent of conspiracy theory and pseudo science fans among climate change deniers.

yeah, i seem to cant keep myself from exaggerating myself,

but i still have no doubt that people with education in math/physics/chemistry will generally default to the denier camp, we arent getting lost by a few numbers and selective statistics. i can imagine exactly that happens to anyone who isnt use to it tho, like reading a foreign language

with surreal symbols like thai alphabet

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

but i still have no doubt that people with education in math/physics/chemistry will generally default to the denier camp, we arent getting lost by a few numbers and selective statistics. i can imagine exactly that happens to anyone who isnt use to it tho, like reading a foreign language

What you "have no doubt" of is not supported by anything much other than your bias. Ignoring the fact that there are plenty of scientists (with better credentials than most posters) which are not on the deniers camp certainly puts a dent in your claim. You do not speak for any "we", and you don't even rightly now who the "we" are.

10 minutes ago, Morch said:

What you "have no doubt" of is not supported by anything much other than your bias. Ignoring the fact that there are plenty of scientists (with better credentials than most posters) which are not on the deniers camp certainly puts a dent in your claim. You do not speak for any "we", and you don't even rightly now who the "we" are.

i think it was voltaire who concluded that,

in a world that is utterly corrupt, the best policy is to swim along in the same direction.

bullying also play a part, and finally some will sell their dignity to make a buck on a trendy fashion,

as corrupt as ipcc itself

17 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

And I guess the polls that show most scientists believe that ACC is a fact are, to your way of thinking, untrue

5 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

in a world that is utterly corrupt, the best policy is to swim along in the same direction.

bullying also play a part, and finally some will sell their dignity to make a buck on a trendy fashion,

Doesn't have anything to do with my post, of course.

5 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

If the facts don't support you then go to motive. Because the great thing about attacking people on the grounds of motive, is that there's no way to disprove it.

1 hour ago, RideJocky said:

Why would the fossil fuel industry waste money funding climate studies?

What do they stand to gain?

What do they stand to lose?

Do you have any proof of all this funding?

gawd, you've never seen a study about 'clean coal' and then politicians lapping it up? You obviously aren't looking very hard...

Expensive, experimental and largely a fudge. There is no such thing as 'clean coal'. And I spent a decade working in coal...

4 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

yes, and there are supporting clues to that end,

from 58 minutes to 1.02 hours (4 minutes if you mind)

ipcc censored 1.jpg

ipcc cencored.jpg

ipcc censored 2.jpg

ipcc censored 3.jpg

Please, if you can't provide the full document in writng. I listened to a bit and saw that it's impossible to ascertain on the basis of what's quoted here what precisely is being referred to. Why are denialist so reluctant to put their arguments into print?

8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Please, if you can't provide the full document in writng. I listened to a bit and saw that it's impossible to ascertain on the basis of what's quoted her what precisely is being referred to. Why are denialist so reluctant to put their arguments into print?

the first two minutes is from the horses mouth,

one of the contracted scientists speaking freely

on how his work was dismissed, and he had the dignity

to request to be removed from the (top scientists approve)TM.

-turns out he had to threaten legal action

to finally be removed from the list,

this is ipcc modus operandi to give the impression

they got backing from scientists

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i stated repeatedly that i admire and respect Greta, and all the idealist teens who shout for a better world.

Science is not and will never be settled, otherwise is not science. No one in this thread is undermining science, we are just discussing it.

Apparently, fossil fuels, besides being environment and health damaging, are a finite resource, so it's quite rational to invest on research on cleaner and renewable energies.

That said, the " climate alarmism" is not only unnecessary, but it may cloud the judgement of many.

Personally, i'm more alarmed by wars, social injustice, slavery, and so on.

‘No one in this thread is undermining science’.

Well yes I agree, but not because they aren’t trying their best to do so.

They simply aren’t up to the task.

Concern for the climate and concern over issues such as war, social justice and slavery are far from mutually exclusive.

That said while you profess a concern over these issues you have put an awful Lot of effort in this thread naysaying environmentalism and the child who is the subject of the thread.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘No one in this thread is undermining science’.

Well yes I agree, but not because they aren’t trying their best to do so.

They simply aren’t up to the task.

Thanks for your stellar contribution, i like you too :coffee1:

20 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

If the facts don't support you then go to motive. Because the great thing about attacking people on the grounds of motive, is that there's no way to disprove it.

I always go to motive first. It's the basis of trust and since the CO2 thing is based on faith on a computer model, faith needs a hell of a lot of trust. Since the motives can be corrupt, as is likely when such a large majority agrees on anything in this world, then there's no trust, no faith until otherwise proven in repeatable experiments. As in create another earth with same planetary system and life on it, pump CO2 in the atmosphere, observe and do it many times. Before they do that I'll remain sceptic. 

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

yes, i think its safe to say we who dont buy the drivel

typically have an engineering degree,

so we know numbers, statistics, and can filter out noise from signal better then school dropouts & humanists like yourself

I have three degrees in engineering.

I know numbers, statistics and can filter out noise from signal.

You sir are talking hogwash.

You are certainly not speaking for all who have degrees in Engineering and certainly not for those of us who also received an education.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I always go to motive first. It's the basis of trust and since the CO2 thing is based on faith on a computer model, faith needs a hell of a lot of trust. Since the motives can be corrupt, as is likely when such a large majority agrees on anything in this world, then there's no trust, no faith until otherwise proven in repeatable experiments. As in create another earth with same planetary system and life on it, pump CO2 in the atmosphere, observe and do it many times. Before they do that I'll remain sceptic. 

So what’s your motive?

13 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Thanks for your stellar contribution, i like you too :coffee1:

It’s nothing to do with emotional issues of liking/disliking (though I do note the high levels of venom and bile spewing amongst the denialist in this thread), rather it’s the science.

You can’t deal with the science and I’ve seen no evidence of you challenging the vile attacks on the child who in this discussion.

39 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

Bingo !

Or in other words, scientists who don't follow the "official narrative" become pariahs.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s nothing to do with emotional issues of liking/disliking (though I do note the high levels of venom and bile spewing amongst the denialist in this thread), rather it’s the science.

You can’t deal with the science and I’ve seen no evidence of you challenging the vile attacks on the child who in this discussion.

No emotional issues from me, i do note your venom too.

Archived