Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, JAG said:

You may recall that at the start of this exchange I remarked that I was not surprised by the Supreme Court's decision. Mind you it would be fair to say that I am perhaps not as persuaded by the, how shall we put it, legal purity of the judgement as you may be.

3 hours ago, JAG said:

I am no legal expert. Are you?

Then how can you opine upon the 'legal purity' of the judgement?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, HansumFarang said:

Parliament makes laws, judges uphold them. But I don't see any law made by Parliament being broken here. Yes, I have read the judgement. Have you?

A lot of people are not going to accept that the Supreme Court's decision is neutral and unbiased, since it is based on a highly subjective interpretation of the "unwritten constitution". That puts the Supreme Court in a very precarious position.

I haven't read the judgement, but the part read out by Lady hale on the radio said they ruled it unlawful because the Prime Minister had given no reason for proroguing parliament for 5 weeks.

Had Johnson answered the court's request for a witness statement outlining his reasons, they may very well have found in his favour! But how can they judge if his reasons are valid if he won't say what those reasons are?

Addendum:

You said "Parliament makes laws, judges uphold them." Have a read of 7.2 Statute law and common law to see where you've gone wrong.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HansumFarang said:

Well, you joined this site 3 weeks ago, and you've already made 131 posts. Just arrived in Thailand, have you?

The mods should check your IP address, and see which other Thaivisa members it matches up with.

Wow again - it appears when under pressure you resort to hostility and the grassing route and you know what they say about grasses.

It transpires I’m not the only alleged doppelgänger outed by frustrated leavers looking back in this thread. 

So approximately 7 posts a day means .....? 

I’m happy to face any scrutiny - infact I’ve had a beer with a couple of the mods (purely to do a bit of brown nosing you understand) - if one of them would like to PM me or invite me in for a bit of water boarding that would be fine. 

However if it’s too hot in the kitchen chap ....

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, HansumFarang said:

I couldn't give a monkeys. I look forward to you getting banned when the moderators discover you've been multi-handling.

Odd then you gave quite a lot of monkeys pre tantrum. 

I will leave this to allow you to gather your emotions and to prepare for my forthcoming trial - Gina Miller not available is she ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well chaps goodnight all - after todays news I have a cheeky bottle of Lafitte that isn’t going to drink itself 

I expect to awake to the news Michael Gove has slung a few more knives towards Boris’s back and is leading in the hastily arranged leadership contest and Dominic Cummings has been found dangling from Tower Bridge! 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

It was 11-0. There is no ambiguity in that.

What you going to do now?

Appeal to the EU courts?

I'm sure that Johnson would if he could.

Unfortunately for him, this is a UK legal matter and the ECJ only hears cases and rules on EU treaty disputes and other EU matters.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HansumFarang said:
3 hours ago, bannork said:

It is not normal to close Parliament for 5 weeks before a momentous decision such as Brexit.

Or for the three weeks before a General Election. Ask John Major if you don't believe me.

Another notorious and, in my opinion, wrongful prorogation.

Perhaps you should have challenged it in the High Court at the time?

You keep quoting me, but leaving the text blank? I'm sure it's unintentional, but it's a bit annoying.

My personal opinion is that the PM was acting in bad faith, but that is irrelevant in legal terms.

The point that I've been trying to make is that the Supreme Court has made itself vulnerable with this ruling. The legal grounding of their ruling will appear shaky to many observers. When the PM, Parliament and the Supreme Court are all stretching the limits of their powers like this, it damages people's faith in the system.
Half-hearted point making.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

As already shown, Johnson published his programme in August. What more did he need 5 weeks to prepare for?

He could easily have prorogued Parliament immediately upon it's return from the summer recess and had the Queen's speech a matter of days later.

You have previously claimed to be an SME working on the plans for Brexit; maybe you can tell us why he didn't do so.

As for the conference season; that could easily have been postponed; indeed many politicians from all parties suggested that it should have been.

He didn't need five weeks. The HOC was supposed to be in recess for party conferences. That left five or six days to prepare. Obviously one could speculate as to whether HOC would postpone the conference recess in case they felt necessary, but that is exactly that - speculations.

34 minutes ago, Forethat said:

He didn't need five weeks. The HOC was supposed to be in recess for party conferences. That left five or six days to prepare. Obviously one could speculate as to whether HOC would postpone the conference recess in case they felt necessary, but that is exactly that - speculations.

Parliament recalled tomorrow at 11:30, and now no recess for the remaining party conference... ????

Parliament will be recalled tomorrow thanks to the government’s defeat in the Supreme Court, and it is considered likely that MPs will vote to extend its sittings to last throughout the remainder of conference season.

Wounder if any Tory will find anyone to pair with so they can attend the party conference next week??? ????

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:
5 hours ago, sirineou said:
what happens in the UK when a legal court finds someone guilty of having committed
an illegal act? 

Thrown into the Tower of London.

I would like to know if civil servants advised Boris, and did they advise him against? if he ignored their advice then then hope he will be held in "Contempt of Parliament" or "Misconduct in Public Office"

Hope the outcome is he being band from holding public office, not only will he be barred from being PM, he would be barred from being a MP and even barred from receiving a peerage. ???? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If the AG told him it’s OK, that’s pretty good advice.
Who knows best - the govt top lawman, or a bunch of judges dabbling in politics?
The advice from the Attorney General was wrong by 11-0. The fool was clearly a bad appointment and should resign. On the other hand maybe a medal for the continued clown antics of the Boris govt.

• Like 2

I would like to know if civil servants advised Boris, and did they advise him against? if he ignored their advice then then hope he will be held in "Contempt of Parliament" or "Misconduct in Public Office"

Hope the outcome is he being band from holding public office, not only will he be barred from being PM, he would be barred from being a MP and even barred from receiving a peerage. [emoji23] 
The outcome is to comply with the ruling. So then, back to Parliamentary Democracy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SheungWan said:

AFAIK, the referendum did not give a green light to Boris Johnson to break the law.

The referendum was a demand to leave the EU. 

The judges and the Establishment are the ones breaking a moral law and code of honour by having done all they can for three years to defy that demand made by the British people who employ the MPs and judges.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1