RANT : Pattaya to BKK by train

mercman24

been to Bangkok quite a few times by bus, fancied a change, OK the train takes 4 hours to go 100ks,  ?? <deleted>. but why the hell does it leave at 14-15, the dam day is gone time one gets there , at 18-15,  and only one train a day. there was me thinking leave early get there about 10 am ,, WRONG !! grr only in Thailand springs to mind

On 9/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, NCC1701A said:

did you check the schedule on line? or ask when buying the ticket? you got all the way to the train station without knowing when the train would leave and how long it would take? 

Seat61 google it

• Like 1

SRT are the people who think they can run high speed trains. They are the most useless Govt Dept in the world.

The dual track should have been built 50 years ago but instead they just waste all their millions of rental income on stupid things (it is certainly not maintenance) The Government needs to grab them by the ear & demand they start dual tracking all their tracks for a start & forget about the Prime Ministers schoolboy fascination for high speed trains which will put us indebt to the Chinese forever (shades of Cambodia)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, reargunnerph3 said:

If there was more than one a day they would probably collide so only one a day for safety. 555

The trains run about every 20 minutes, the line is only a couple of hundred yards from my house. Been dual track now for about 5 years.

The problem is there is only the one passenger train a day the rest are freight. It leaves BKK around 06.30 and i think terminates near Sattahip, then returns to BKK. It is free to the Thais and very cheap for the foreigner, think I was 23 baht Chonburi to BKK.

It is relatively quick from Pattaya to Chonburi, about an hour, same as driving. It is further down the line it becomes slow, stopping at every small station on the way.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2019 at 4:28 PM, mercman24 said:

grr only in Thailand springs to mind

I just don't get this... you have a problem that a train departs at 2 pm?? only in Thailand? I am sure planes,trains and busses leave at 2 pm all over the world...

if you complain abt this, life must be pretty good... 

• Like 1

The trains run about every 20 minutes, the line is only a couple of hundred yards from my house. Been dual track now for about 5 years.
The problem is there is only the one passenger train a day the rest are freight. It leaves BKK around 06.30 and i think terminates near Sattahip, then returns to BKK. It is free to the Thais and very cheap for the foreigner, think I was 23 baht Chonburi to BKK.
It is relatively quick from Pattaya to Chonburi, about an hour, same as driving. It is further down the line it becomes slow, stopping at every small station on the way.
I'm even closer less than 100 meters but a bit further south towards Sattahip..the dual track stops in Pattaya ,further south it's still single track...everyday there is 2x passenger service ,4 man inspection train,very long oil tanker train and at least 1 long shipping container train.

On 9/25/2019 at 5:37 PM, tubby johnson said:

No, that's when the day - and the fun - truly starts. 

Kudos to you for leaving Pattaya, though. Horrendous cess pool of a town.

Thank you for managing to get your nasty comment regarding Pattaya into your response.  I'll add you to the growing list of posters that just can't quit Pattaya and must always make a bad comment at any opportunity on a place they don't live in--but clearly maintains quite a hold on them or why bother to comment.

• Like 1

problem is the train swings by Chacheongsao   and thats why its 4hours instead of 3 ,, also the 60kmh speed and that its stops at every rural nowhere place ,, if they ran it at 120kmh and express  only major cities it could be less than 2 hours ,with the appropriate rolling stock and upgrades

16 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I used to love the train from Plutaluang to Bangkok. A couple of beers or a flask of gin and tonic. Sit back and relax. Now I do the mad dash by car. Why? Don't ask me.????

I hear you my friend! The train in Thailand used to be a great way to have a few beers, roll into Bangkok primed for meeting pals and having a night out. When I lived in Lopburi, it used to be a great little run into BKK every Friday evening. I used to get the 2.30 (ish) train down, find a bit of space, slam on the tunes, pop the top off a few, and roll into Bangkok a few hours later, refreshed and relaxed, having made the bucket ladies richer by some way. God forbid if I ever missed that train and had to rely on the minivan which pelted down at nasty speeds and wasn't conducive to a nice peaceful start to the weekend, though I think the OP would disagree as he seems to want to be everywhere 'yesterday', as I understand the saying goes.

I would imagine the problem is not enough sidings and an useless signalling system combined with poor software.

It does seem incredible that any rail system would not capitalise on what it has, it could surely place a few higher speed trains

that do not stop at every station.  After all the Thai system is newer than the british system. Maybe they shoudl  get a THai DR beeching.

I really loved those train routes as well.Buying from the bucket ladies and seeing a different scenery along the tracks and People watching.I think I will try again soon.13 Baht fare in the 90”s Stayed in Chachoengsao and Lopuri on these runs.great memories going to lower Sukh.as well.

10 hours ago, IvorLott said:

I hear you my friend! The train in Thailand used to be a great way to have a few beers, roll into Bangkok primed for meeting pals and having a night out. When I lived in Lopburi, it used to be a great little run into BKK every Friday evening. I used to get the 2.30 (ish) train down, find a bit of space, slam on the tunes, pop the top off a few, and roll into Bangkok a few hours later, refreshed and relaxed, having made the bucket ladies richer by some way. God forbid if I ever missed that train and had to rely on the minivan which pelted down at nasty speeds and wasn't conducive to a nice peaceful start to the weekend, though I think the OP would disagree as he seems to want to be everywhere 'yesterday', as I understand the saying goes.

I like the trains and up to about 4 hours, even the 3rd class is fine.

I like the fact that I can go 250 kilometers for like 90 cents. SRT works for me.

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

Travelling by VIP bus takes 4 hours from Pattaya via Sri racha, Au "something", Chonburi, chat chun sao to get anywhere near equal to BKK...a nonsense trip!

yes i did do a check, just fancied a change, lived here for years, some stupid replies on here by the way, (usual keyboard idiots to be expected)i would have thought it was common sense to have an early train going to the Capital City, whats up with you lot it was tongue in cheek <deleted>, the bus is 119 now (up from 109) and takes just over 2 hours

Edited by mercman24

Just now, mercman24 said:

yes i did do a check, just fancied a change, lived here for years, some stupid replies on here by the way, (usual keyboard idiots to be expected)i would have thought it was common sense to have an early train going to the Capital City, whats up with you lot it was tongue in cheek <deleted>,

look the timetable has been the same as long as I remember....2006 when i came and, i think, the ticket costs 39 baht now......