Thai Airways to take funding review for fleet-expansion plans

snoop1130

THAI board balks at hefty acquisition plan

By THE NATION

800_375c1194d57fca6.jpg?v=1569408166

Thaworn

Thai Airways International (THAI) directors on Tuesday (September 24) asked executives of the national carrier to review plans to procure 38 more aircraft worth a combined Bt156 billion.

The board cited a “fast-changing situation” in asking for a fresh plan within the next six months, THAI president Sumeth Damrongchaitham said.

Board members noted the airline’s poor financial performance and tough competition, coupled with the baht’s appreciation, Sumeth said.

He insisted that THAI must acquire new aircraft, but it would revise the methodology used.

Deputy Transport Minister Thaworn Senniam said the board’s request was not politically motivated or a matter of political interference.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30376729

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-26

I wonder if Thai Air is a bit like Air Canada. Air Canada used to say that they were

losing millions each year, and what they did lose was diddly, as it was projected

earnings that they lost, not actual money. Forecast to earn 5 billion in a year but

only made 2 billion would equal a 3 billion loss, right?  I never believe much in

Air line losses, well I guess Thomas Cook is a different case...

Geezer

dont seem to have any business plan to slow down the billions they are losing every month, (well they did ask execs to take a pay cut) that will work. costing this country billions , money just going down the drain, need to pull the plug on this one, forget about prestige.as said before i flew with them often years ago, too expensive now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

“The board said that management should revise assumptions....in line with rapidly changing aviation industry”

what does that mean?

we don’t have the funds to do this?

It means that after all the prolonged talking is over the playing field has changed yet again.... one thing the aviation industry doesn't do is stand still... waiting for others to jump on board!

Look, if I open a Thai restaurant in Europe - chances are, that I hire a Thai cook as there is most likely nobody more qualified for that task.

Same with an airline, hire an expert, irrespective of nationality and gender - quite obviously the airline went South since 1992, after Chatichai Boonya-ananda was „retired“. I‘ve seen Thai aircraft (B747-800 and A340) all over the place, as restaurants and show objects and playgrounds from Nong Khai via Bangkok to Banglamung. Overseas rotting places of Thai planes (B747-800) can be seen in the boneyard of Mojawe. Zillions of Baht went up in fleet „planning“ and yet, the airline is carp! 

A normal ticket for a passenger on the Bangkok-Udon run costs B 2‘090 (TG); the competition flies for B 590 (SL) - difference is the 20kgs luggage.