Need Retirement place for 70

On 9/29/2019 at 5:46 AM, Nemises said:

42,000 per month? EASY!!!

Just 15,000 baht per month to live in a decent hotel in the heart of Udon Thani. Includes 24/7 air con, all utilities and WiFi. Fresh towels & linen daily, room cleaned daily. Hospital, shopping, markets, farang bars/restaurants, gyms, swimming pools, spacious manicured parklands and huge shopping mall all outside your front door. No lease required. No car required. No motor bike required. Pack up and leave to explore other Provinces whenever you want (or even move in with new GFs for a while!). Come back to hotel whenever you want. Unlike many others on here you are single with no property nor lease. You have freedom. Live the life others dream of...

Nice positive post. Let the man come here and discover the delights and other aspects of Thailand. Who says he has to stay if he doesn't like it?

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 5:46 AM, Nemises said:

42,000 per month? EASY!!!

Just 15,000 baht per month to live in a decent hotel in the heart of Udon Thani. Includes 24/7 air con, all utilities and WiFi. Fresh towels & linen daily, room cleaned daily. Hospital, shopping, markets, farang bars/restaurants, gyms, swimming pools, spacious manicured parklands and huge shopping mall all outside your front door. No lease required. No car required. No motor bike required. Pack up and leave to explore other Provinces whenever you want (or even move in with new GFs for a while!). Come back to hotel whenever you want. Unlike many others on here you are single with no property nor lease. You have freedom. Live the life others dream of...

The only downside is you actually have to live there and 15 k for udon 20 sqm hotel room? that's not far off Bangkok money, your paying way to much

The only downside is you actually have to live there and 15 k for udon 20 sqm hotel room? that's not far off Bangkok money, your paying way to much

Sounds good. Please advise where in Bangkok you can get a decent daily-serviced, air conditioned hotel room, (including car parking) no more than 5 minutes walking distance to farang-owned bars/restaurants and large shopping mall/cinemas for around 15k a month?

Name/s of hotel/s would be excellent. Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Do you need to adjust your arithmetic skills? B500,000 p.a. is more than B40,000 per month.

Perhaps you need to look further, poor guy has been cut to ribbons already and acknowledges his error. 

9 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Do you need to adjust your arithmetic skills? B500,000 p.a. is more than B40,000 per month.

Please read all the posts in the thread, with all my apologies, before answering mine. Ta!

9 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Are you able to provide a link to any incident whereby a “dodgy” agent-issued retirement extension was later rejected by a Thai Imm Office/r when the passport holder attempted to cross a Thai border?

A retirement extension in itself is no use to cross a Thai border, a Re-Entry Permit is required. Leaving Thailand the extension is important, but I do not know if airport officials are tasked with checking the extension. I presume it is in their records there. You are correct, they appear to be official or accepted Extensions.... but many may worry they will be the first. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nemises said:

Thanks. That is my understanding as well.

I have some reservation though. I see various prices are available, perhaps ranging from 12,000 to 25,000 baht, one has to worry where the cheaper ones cut the corners. I see some where money is moved in and out of a foreigner's bank account, others where that does not appear to happen. The latter seems to cut an extra corner. Also many Extensions may not get tested at a border, many older Expats never leave Thailand. It is an extra level of worry I don't want in my life, I do too much of it as it is. ????

• Like 1

I have some reservation though. I see various prices are available, perhaps ranging from 12,000 to 25,000 baht, one has to worry where the cheaper ones cut the corners. I see some where money is moved in and out of a foreigner's bank account, others where that does not appear to happen. The latter seems to cut an extra corner. Also many Extensions may not get tested at a border, many older Expats never leave Thailand. It is an extra level of worry I don't want in my life, I do too much of it as it is. [emoji3]

If there’s NEVER BEEN a recorded incident of one of these officially stamped Extensions being later rejected somewhere/anywhere, then worry less!! [emoji95]
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:23 AM, tjinks said:

Don't. As has been mentioned Panama or Ecuador or better yet Portugal.

I'm 74 years old and don't expect things to get better here. My limited funds will let me have a better quality of life in a nation that has a less repressive government.

Why are you still here?

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, NanLaew said:

So, it all comes back to the dazzlingly cosmopolitan but mostly laid back provincial life style that only Meuang Udon Thani, the unchallenged star of Isaan can offer.

International private health care choices at lower prices than the regular Thailand farang traps.

Serviced by 28 daily flights by 4 carriers to/from 6 domestic destinations.

Four daily trains to/from Bangkok.

Less than 1 hour from Laos and a whole other country.

Malls, markets and old-fashioned 'high street' shopping.

Villa Market, Tops and Big C Extra for the imported food fan.

Parks with lakes and walking, jogging, running and cycling trails.

Hotels from 2-star to 5-star.

Guest houses.

Condominiums.

Gated, secure villages.

New build homes from 2.9 m baht and up.

Rental homes from around 6000 baht/m and up.

Recently inaugurated 2-route, cross-town city bus service that includes the airport for just 20 baht flat fare.

And also high pollution for free 154  2.5 https://www.airvisual.com/thailand/changwat-udon-thani/udon-thani

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

If there’s NEVER BEEN a recorded incident of one of these officially stamped Extensions being later rejected somewhere/anywhere, then worry less!! emoji95.png

Maybe not but the stated reason for the crackdown to increase money seasoning times was to smoke out foreigners not following the actual proper rules. Many cynics saw it as a way to drive more business to the agents. But regardless for people that participate in corruption, low risk or not, they are more vulnerable than people that don't. Also many feel that once they start with the agent system they must continue with it going forward (as they are now looking back at the PREVIOUS year's bank books for the entire year) unless they start over with a new O visa.

Also I do believe there have been reports of agents using offices for the stamps not associated with the expat's actual residence that has come back to bite the expat later with address reporting issues, etc. 

But do what you want. 

3 hours ago, Nemises said:

Are you able to provide a link to any incident whereby a “dodgy” agent-issued retirement extension was later rejected by a Thai Imm Office/r when the passport holder attempted to cross a Thai border?

There have been cases of agents issuing fake stamps but you're correct if you get an actual stamp. But in these cases, they are obtained outside the bounds of the normal published rules and in my opinion that is opening up vulnerability to the participants. Depends on your comfort level with participating with corruption. Expats saying it's not corruption amuse me very much. How is paying an agent a significant amount of money MOST of which goes under the table to an immigration officer NOT corruption by any definition of corruption? Did they check their brains at the airport? OK, if you say, yes I know it's corruption but I am cool with that as that's the way things go in Thailand. That at least is HONEST.

Edited by Jingthing

On 9/27/2019 at 10:57 PM, DrJack54 said:

May we ask how much money you contribute to the "family life". Only ask to compare to the op situation. He has sweet ##.

BTW...Yes Vietnam good alternative. I'm au and go Vietnam every month. 4 3month visa every yr for 6 years now. Works out to $280 per yr

More than the B65,000 per Month needed.

• Confused 1

On 9/27/2019 at 7:38 AM, jacko45k said:

I think 500,000  baht means you expect to live 'rural'.... Pretty much all rural areas are far cheaper than the tourist areas. The OP previously posted about an Elite Visa and having family.... this strikes me as at odds with that idea.

Westerners who end up living in places like Nakhon Nowhere, have usually followed a Thai wife/ partner back to her home village/area, and the support that includes is a necessity. Language barriers are formidable. 

if you look at Tee-pak.com web page you will see it is not expensive anywhere in Thailand to rent an apartment or house. However the stress of dealing with immigration at 70 may be the death of you. 

Edited by Langkawee
  • Confused 1

Why does he need 800k in the bank when an agent only charges about 20k per year?

IMHO, it would be short-sighted to base your plans for retirement on obtaining a visa extension by illegal or dodgy means.  What would do you for plan B if the agent option were not available?

• Like 2

do you need to live in thailand all year?  the way I look at it is... variety is the spice of life.  so, it's better to split your time in retirement in several places over the course of a year.  if you do that, then, you don't need to deposit 800k baht in a thai bank to get a retirement visa extension.

staying in the PI for a year costs about 300 dollars a year in renewal fees over the course of a year.  if you are an american, getting a 1 year visa for vietnam is only 7200 baht.  for thailand just get a tourist visa.

that is what I am planning to do in the not too distant future.

Why does he need 800k in the bank when an agent only charges about 20k per year?

“IMHO, it would be short-sighted to base your plans for retirement on obtaining a visa extension by illegal or dodgy means...

—————

Agent issued Extensions are ILLEGAL?! Crikey. Didn’t know that!

You able to post a (Thai Government website) link which shows what the applicable penalty and/or punishment is for being in possession of an Agent issued Extension?

“IMHO, it would be short-sighted to base your plans for retirement on obtaining a visa extension by illegal or dodgy means...

—————

Agent issued Extensions are ILLEGAL?! Crikey. Didn’t know that!

You able to post a (Thai Government website) link which shows what the applicable penalty and/or punishment is for being in possession of an Agent issued Extension?
The stamps are usually valid. It's the method used to obtain them paying off people instead of actually following the official rules that is most definitely dodgy.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

The stamps are usually valid. It's the method used to obtain them paying off people instead of actually following the official rules that is most definitely dodgy.  Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app 

So they’re NOT “illegal” as someone posted. Good to know that holders of them are not breaking any laws.  

As for “dodgy”, yes agree 100% IF we are living back home, but I think payments to people to overlook things in this part of the world (where we choose to live) is accepted practice.

When in Rome...