1st time 3 months ED VISA denied in KL

Hey guys, 
This is my first time posting but I got lots of info from here in the past so thanks for everyone contributing!

I applied for an ED visa for the first time 2 days ago in KL only to find my application rejected the next day... no reason given.

I know It's tough these days for many people but I thought my case would just slip through because :

- I'm actually going to school (learning Thai) I've already taken a few classes and was able to answer easily to what they asked me in Thai at the embassy.
- I only asked for 3 months not 1 year, have no plans to stay in Thailand after that and I've already got my flight ticket back to France.
- In the past I had 2 tourist visas (one this year) so it might just be this.. But I always hear about people abusing the system for 10 years so I thought I was fine.
- I had all the paper work and even more stuff than they required, also the School that I go to is the most expensive and pro in Chiang Mai (like twice the price compared to other schools) so I doubt anyone abusing ED visas ever chose them.. I assumed  they would have a very clean record and reputation..

All I ever felt/shown for Thailand and its people is love but now I'm really disappointed and sad. What did I do wrong ? 
What should I do now ? My apartment lease, school and scooter are booked for the next 3 months... Can this be the beginning of bad luck ? Should I worry to even get denied entry without visa ? I'll show my flight out and 20k if needed. 

Thanks for reading me krap ????

Edited by LiamSiam
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

There must of been something wrong with the supporting documents you supplied that did not meet the requirements.

Odd they the denied it after accepting the application.

I assume you had everything shown on this checklist. 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/8_1 Non Immigrant ED Study(1).pdf

Perhaps you need to try again at a different embassy or consulate.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cerox said:

Nobody cares, I speak Thai too, it is of no relevance.

I was denied in the same way in Saigon ????

You only stay for 2-3 months, make it shorter (2 months) and use visa-exempt with extension. Stress free. Doing and too in the future on my fewer visits.

I think you are right.. It's not like I'm trying to stay as long as I can. Do you think I could do ; visa-exempt + extension then go to Vietnam for a few days come back to get 3 months in total ? Or could I be denied entry in the kingdom ? The school is insisting that we repeat the process and that I go to Vientiane this time but I'm not sure It's worth it..

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There must of been something wrong with the supporting documents you supplied that did not meet the requirements.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/8_1 Non Immigrant ED Study(1).pdf

Yes I had everything I checked a 100 times and the school also asked me so many times if I had this or that..
Isn't weird that they didn't give me a "void" stamp ? you think the immigration at the airport will be aware that I got rejected ? Will they question me you think ? 
Thanks guys!!

10 minutes ago, LiamSiam said:

Isn't weird that they didn't give me a "void" stamp ? you think the immigration at the airport will be aware that I got rejected ? Will they question me you think ? 

I assume they didn't do the visa sticker in you passport to put the void stamp on.

Immigration will not know about your denial so no questions from them.

2 hours ago, LiamSiam said:

I think you are right.. It's not like I'm trying to stay as long as I can. Do you think I could do ; visa-exempt + extension then go to Vietnam for a few days come back to get 3 months in total ? Or could I be denied entry in the kingdom ? The school is insisting that we repeat the process and that I go to Vientiane this time but I'm not sure It's worth it..

Yes I had everything I checked a 100 times and the school also asked me so many times if I had this or that..
Thanks guys!!

Count yourself lucky that you didn't get a voided stamp:Immigration won't know about the rejection, plus you have a very good chance to succeed at another embassy. 

• Like 1

Thailand has been changing a lot since 5 years ago. I better say since Chinese are here (there are more factors are involved) We won’t see even days like a decade ago (smart phones are another factor) Don’t expect much because it will be tougher year after year. The fact is the whole world changing as well. We are not even sure about tomorrow what will come next. 

Edited by The Theory

11 hours ago, LiamSiam said:

you think the immigration at the airport will be aware that I got rejected ? Will they question me you think ? 

No evidence in passport means they won't know.  But interrogation and/or rejection depends entirely on how much time you have spent in the country in the last year or so.  If you have only 3-mo stay in Thailand in the last 12 mo, you will probably be OK.  Be sure to have 20K Baht worth of CASH on your person upon-entry, as well as printed-out hotel-bookings to show. 

If you have more than that much time, I would enter through a law-abiding land-border, vs the airports or the other couple bad land-entry points.  The bad entry points are attempting to force those who stay more/longer as tourists to get agent-procured visas (which line their pockets), and using denials of entry based on lies (falsely-claiming you cannot support yourself after entering), as leverage to force the deal.

7 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

So they did not give you the paperwork back that the school supplied to you?

Otherwise you could try it with same paperwork elsewhere. (apply in your home country seems like the only safe option at the moment....)

The paperwork must be written to address a specific consulate.  He will probably be OK in Vientiane, if the school is not on Vientiane's blacklist.

11 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.... it’s almost like they don’t want us(aliens) here innit?

You get that?

Actually they want us here as short term visitors or tourists, not long term stayers pretending to be tourists or students. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 1:17 PM, ubonjoe said:

Not really, but KL and/or Hanoi are not places to go for ED. BTW Vientiane does not have a black list of schools. They just look through your passport and if they think you are not a true student you are asked for an interview if which they can ask a couple of questions, like where is te school, when you study, where your money come from. 

On 9/28/2019 at 2:00 PM, spiekerjozef said:

Did you have a police clearance certificate?

Yes I had an original copy in French and a translation in English. They seemed fine with it when I handed it to them but for some reasons I think there might have been something wrong with it. I've heard that It might be better to get one from Thailand instead.

Sorry I took a while to reply to y'all guys. 
Entered by air at CNX airport no question asked and even a smile from the lady at the counter ????

So since I'm back I get mixed up insights from OG expats here ahah ;
Some say Vientiane is like KL, industrial overcrowded place where you're not given a chance to explain yourself if something goes wrong. And that I should try Savannakhet instead.
Some others say Vientiane's visa application Is such a huge source of income for them that they almost never deny anyone..
Vientiane / Savannaketh ?? 
Any advice welcome.
Khob kun maak krap 

24 minutes ago, LiamSiam said:

Yes I had an original copy in French and a translation in English. They seemed fine with it when I handed it to them but for some reasons I think there might have been something wrong with it. I've heard that It might be better to get one from Thailand instead.

I guess I don't know what a 'police clearance certificate' is. I thought you had to get it in your home country.

29 minutes ago, ding said:

Do you need that now for a 3 month ED visa?

At some embassies or consulate you need a criminal background check. Some embassies and consulates require one from your home country and others will accept one from Thailand.

26 minutes ago, ding said:

I guess I don't know what a 'police clearance certificate' is. I thought you had to get it in your home country.

Thailand refers to a criminal background check as a police clearance certificate.

56 minutes ago, LiamSiam said:

Yes I had an original copy in French and a translation in English. They seemed fine with it when I handed it to them but for some reasons I think there might have been something wrong with it

How old was it? 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

How old was it? 

It was just a week old. I struggled to get it on time along with the certified translation. What I haven't done though is to get it authenticated with a local authority in Malaysia but I doubt it was necessary. I tried calling/emailing the embassy about it but got no answer from them.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Maybe you already solved but would like to share my story. My situation was very similar to your when i applied 2 days ago for the 1st ED-VISA. I already started school in Pattaya from 1 month and had every document from school, from ministry of education and bank statment.

I applied for the 1st time in Laos, Vientiane. Same like

I had 2 Touristic Visa in my passport that I got in my home country at Thai Embassy.

- 1 in 2018

- 1 in 2019

Yesterday they give me my visa so it was ok.

But I was worried because when I gave my passport at the counter the lady immediately checked it and said " ohh! I see you already stay in Thailand from long time, if you don't get the visa the 2000 baht you are paying now are not refundable".

I asked if there was a problem with my passport and she said " embassy will check your background and they will tell you tomorrow, now go go go" with an angry tone. So I was thinking to myself: if you don't know then why the eeek you speaking ?

Same story when I got my passport the man was like super mad and talk to me like I was an idiot or something like that. I didn't like their manners

Honestly what I would recommend is to avoid Vientiane. People working at the embassy look mad and make you feel unwelcomed and uncomfortable without a real reason. Too Many people go there to apply for any visa. I believe they all thinking that you not really going to study or not a real tourist. 

I had the same feedback from other people applying in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Malaysia. 

I think you should avoid these places when applying for any kind of visa. Apply somewhere else.