Samui vs Phuket in wet November

CG1 Blue

Hi

I've not been back to Thailand for almost 8 months, which is probably the longest period of abstinence I've had in 18 years. This was due to being made redundant and trying to figure out the way forward. Following a family tragedy a couple of weeks ago I'm now desperate to get away, so I want to start making plans. My trip will be for around 3 weeks. 

I usually go to Bkk for 2/3 days, go somewhere for fishing or jungle trekking for 3/4 days, and spend the longest part of the trip on Samui. 

The trouble is, I'm probably going to have to wait until early November, and I know there's a chance I could be wading waist deep in water for two weeks at that time of year. 

Based on the experiences and knowledge of the good TVF folk, how much of a gamble would this be?

Should I go all out trying to bring it forward to late October?

Should I bite the bullet and wait till December?

Would Phuket be any drier in November (as I'm happy to go there instead if necessary)? 

I know these weather questions are boring, and the weather is as unpredictable as...well, the weather.  But I'd really appreciate some thoughts on this. 

TIA

You've been coming to Thailand for 18 years, but this time need others to tell you where to stay!

Apparently rainfall, or lack of it, is the main factor in your considerations. I think it's called hydrophobia.

Allow me to assist. The average November rainfall for Samui is 302 mm. Phuket has an average of 298 mm for that month.  

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

You've been coming to Thailand for 18 years, but this time need others to tell you where to stay!

Apparently rainfall, or lack of it, is the main factor in your considerations. I think it's called hydrophobia.

Allow me to assist. The average November rainfall for Samui is 302 mm. Phuket has an average of 298 mm for that month.  

I've previously avoided November. 

I don't mind rain - in fact I love a good rainstorm over there. What I'd prefer to avoid is 2 weeks of solid rain, and people paddling on lilos down Chaweng road for the duration of a well needed break. 

I know these concerns might irritate some of the permanent residents over there, but until I become permanent (in 5 years or so) I wanted to seek a bit of feedback before I fork out a lot of money for a holiday.     

That said, I'll probably go anyway ????

On 9/28/2019 at 4:07 AM, CG1 Blue said:

I don't mind rain - in fact I love a good rainstorm over there. What I'd prefer to avoid is 2 weeks of solid rain, and people paddling on lilos down Chaweng road for the duration of a well needed break. 

I know these concerns might irritate some of the permanent residents over there, but until I become permanent (in 5 years or so) I wanted to seek a bit of feedback before I fork out a lot of money for a holiday.     

Chances of that happening are really small, and on Phuket the official dry season has already started in November.

For me Phuket, has all that Samui has, but better, more and more choice.

agree with the above;

went to Samui 4 years ago, my previous trip had been maybe 12 years before.

Hated it, had planned for 5 days, left after 2.   My first visit was back in 1982

Phuket so much better and lots more to see and do, plus in parts of the island you can still feel like your in Thailand.

Nowhere in samui has the same feeling.

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

agree with the above;

Hated it, had planned for 5 days, left after 2.   My first visit was back in 1982

Phuket so much better and lots more to see and do, plus in parts of the island you can still feel like your in Thailand.

You missed the best bit(s) ????

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

agree with the above;

utter nonsense.

however i would skip them both and spend my time on koh phangan,

samui will be wet in november, my experience is rainy season breaks mid late decemeber

This pic is from a Phuket webcam taken about 10 minutes ago on 1st Oct.- wet season.

The sun is shining, people are swimming and dark clouds over the hills indicate there will probably be afternoon showers today. If that's scary don't come to Phuket.

99.JPG

Been on KS about 10y ago in november and it was about my worced vacation ever. Been there 18d had rain for 14. Even did rent a jeep so we could see something on the Island.

When we arrived the man from the resort told me dry season comes on KS in december. I was only p*ssed he didn't tell me months in advance when i booked a villa with him.

So if i go back it will be after november.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:07 PM, CG1 Blue said:

I find this blog a good source for up to date info on Samui; https://samui-weather.blogspot.com

On 9/28/2019 at 4:07 AM, CG1 Blue said:

Why do you think it will rain in November anywhere in Thailand? That's when the high season starts and the rainy season normally ends in mid October. But sometimes earlier in southern Thailand. 

Phuket has statistically better weather in November than Samui, which can be hit by monsoon storm and heavy rain.

However, normally a rainy storm lasts from a week till 10 days – in November and December, sometimes till mid January – whilst the other time is just wonderful. The problem is, that it might be that week or two, you have decided to stay on the island.

On 9/27/2019 at 4:52 PM, CG1 Blue said:

...I could be wading waist deep in water for two weeks at that time of year

–is really depend of your location – and looked from the bright side of life, the island are upgrading the sewers, so we are really curious if we dont need amphibious vehicles and jetski on the Ring Road this year...????

However, there is an alternative way to enjoy a monsoon swimming holiday in Chaweng on the Beach Road...

1389193025_Chawengbrewski.jpg.4be0158a90823b8a2ec391e3d144abee.jpg

Edit: PS: In old time – some 20-years ago – it was common that many resorts closed from November 1st until a few days before Xmas, the "no season" period. People didn't come back from mid December due to weather, but because of Xmas and New Year...????

8 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

agree with the above;

You clearly do not know Samui my Friend.  I have lived here for 15 years and love it and the people, who are far more friendly than Phuket, which I find more hard faced and less friendly.........only my personal opinion for the short time I have been here.  Incidentally the roads are undergoing a major update with a big drainage project currently going on.

On 10/1/2019 at 12:53 PM, joecoolfrog said:

Strictly weather wise , Phuket a better bet than Samui , especially second half of November.

If rain is a huge issue , I would just go to Hua Hin , easy hop from Bangkok.

I enjoy intermittent rainstorms.  It only becomes an issue for me when it's 24/7 heavy rain and I only have limited time to spend there. 

I hadn't considered Hua Hin actually. Would I not find Hua Hin a little too sedate and clinical when I'm used to spending the beach part of my trips in Chaweng or Patong? I've always thought of Hua Hin as a nice family resort, more popular with hi-so Thais? I'd probably opt for rain over boredom ????

50 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Would I not find Hua Hin a little too sedate and clinical when I'm used to spending the beach part of my trips in Chaweng or Patong?

Yes, you probably would, it's a totally different agenda than Chaweng and Patong...????

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I enjoy intermittent rainstorms.  It only becomes an issue for me when it's 24/7 heavy rain and I only have limited time to spend there. 

I hadn't considered Hua Hin actually. Would I not find Hua Hin a little too sedate and clinical when I'm used to spending the beach part of my trips in Chaweng or Patong? I've always thought of Hua Hin as a nice family resort, more popular with hi-so Thais? I'd probably opt for rain over boredom ????

Hua Hin is nowhere near as full on as Pattaya or Patong but I dont find it boring. Plenty of bars , restaurants , live music and clubs so you have wine, women and song.

As for your first point I have experienced a week of constant rain ( Phuket , September) and it is hellishly miserable. Ko Samui has the potential to offer the same in November.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:46 PM, robertson468 said:

You clearly do not know Samui my Friend.  I have lived here for 15 years and love it and the people, who are far more friendly than Phuket, which I find more hard faced and less friendly.........only my personal opinion for the short time I have been here.  Incidentally the roads are undergoing a major update with a big drainage project currently going on.

" You clearly do not know Samui my Friend.  I have lived here for 15 years and love it and the people, who are far more friendly than Phuket, which I find more hard faced and less friendly.........only my personal opinion for the short time I have been here. "

So first you say he doesn't know what he is talking about, then you state it is only your personal opinion.

Archived