Despite all the Frustrations - You have Just Got to Love Thailand

Pilotman

On 9/28/2019 at 4:15 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

No website such PhilippinesVisa because a blind retard can sort out 3 year stay without leaving the country.

No issues, no parole 90 day reporting, no sleeping in different house reporting, no refusals of entry for no reason. And when you go immi to extend visa they smile and are polite.

Looks like any plans to visit the Philippines are on hold.  I don't qualify.  I'm not a blind retard. 

Be careful in the traffic and don't forget to feed your dog. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

So that was you at Tops on Friday, at the salad bar?

Unless it was in Udon, 'fraid not.

OMG... that means there must be at least TWO of us happy, smiley mall trawlers!!

TBH, I used to be the stereotypical, dour-looking, eyes-everted or downward-looking farang in the street, mall and market whenever something of a similar species approached. That along with the perpetual scowl made me a part of that unique army of farangs-in-their-own-bubble roaming freely in the wild in their chosen enclaves all over the Realm. Then about two weeks ago, while shopping for some really cheap stuff at Mr. D.I.Y. at Landmark, I came up behind the archetypal Mr Grouchy farang at the checkout who, like one of those annoying ladies in the check-out queue at Big C who suddenly realize their purchases have been rung up, was fiddling about with his change to pay for his (I think) single AA battery. Anyway, he came up a few satang short in coins but incredibly seemed to think that the cashier would do as some 7-elevens do IN THE USA and make up the difference from some loose pennies beside the cash register. No chance of that EVER happening here BTW. So angrily, he tossed a skidding one baht coin onto the counter while scooping up his sad wee pile of inadequate coppers, grabbed his purchase and change and stormed out. I smiled at the cashier, quickly shot a glance at the departing back of Mr Bunghole before rolling my eyes and offering her my warmest smile and 'sawatdee' as I placed my purchases on the counter.

From then on, I have made a point of turning my head as the farang approaches so that his always-on bubble-radar goes "Whoop! Whoop!" as it alerts him to the fact that he has been target-locked. They inevitably turn their heads, his dead eyes meet mine and they get blasted by a genuine, full-on smile (no teeth showing) and a firm, correctly formed, informal but jovial ' 'watdee!' (not a warm one like the cute cashier gets). This lets them know that I know their fake game of resolute, formidable independence and superiority has been royally rumbled. The bonus is when some of them trip over or bump into something after their guidance systems momentarily shut down.

• Confused 4
  • Thanks 1

Cool morning, slight breeze, sunny sky. Went to the beach from 1 to 5.
Returned hometto see a towering plume of black smoke from neighbors yard that proceeded to blanket the area for a km around. Foul like burning rubber. Looks like burning tires. Got on my bike to find the source. Somewhere in the bushes off the road. Not visible. Left my porch and now hiding in the house with door closed.

Sad how quickly good things can turn bad here because of a few fools who make bad for everyone. Of course nobody in the neighborhood will complain.

Mai pen rai.

22 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unless it was in Udon, 'fraid not.

OMG... that means there must be at least TWO of us happy, smiley mall trawlers!!

TBH, I used to be the stereotypical, dour-looking, eyes-everted or downward-looking farang in the street, mall and market whenever something of a similar species approached. That along with the perpetual scowl made me a part of that unique army of farangs-in-their-own-bubble roaming freely in the wild in their chosen enclaves all over the Realm. Then about two weeks ago, while shopping for some really cheap stuff at Mr. D.I.Y. at Landmark, I came up behind the archetypal Mr Grouchy farang at the checkout who, like one of those annoying ladies in the check-out queue at Big C who suddenly realize their purchases have been rung up, was fiddling about with his change to pay for his (I think) single AA battery. Anyway, he came up a few satang short in coins but incredibly seemed to think that the cashier would do as some 7-elevens do IN THE USA and make up the difference from some loose pennies beside the cash register. No chance of that EVER happening here BTW. So angrily, he tossed a skidding one baht coin onto the counter while scooping up his sad wee pile of inadequate coppers, grabbed his purchase and change and stormed out. I smiled at the cashier, quickly shot a glance at the departing back of Mr Bunghole before rolling my eyes and offering her my warmest smile and 'sawatdee' as I placed my purchases on the counter.

From then on, I have made a point of turning my head as the farang approaches so that his always-on bubble-radar goes "Whoop! Whoop!" as it alerts him to the fact that he has been target-locked. They inevitably turn their heads, his dead eyes meet mine and they get blasted by a genuine, full-on smile (no teeth showing) and a firm, correctly formed, informal but jovial ' 'watdee!' (not a warm one like the cute cashier gets). This lets them know that I know their fake game of resolute, formidable independence and superiority has been royally rumbled. The bonus is when some of them trip over or bump into something after their guidance systems momentarily shut down.

Good one.

Yes, one of the strangest animals on the planet- the farang that refuses to accept the existence of another farang in the same place as himself. How they work to avoid eye contact, or the slightest indication that they are in the presence of another white person.

Why? Perhaps they think I'll ask them for money, or I'm lonely and want to hang around with them, eating their food and irritating them with idle chit chat. Who knows?

I sometimes say "'morning" in the same cheery tone I reserve for people that don't like me, but I like to force to recognise that I exist, and it is tres amusement to see them trying to blot the sound out of their consciousness. 

On 9/29/2019 at 5:30 PM, sanemax said:

Yes, but youir kids at school in the UK , NFL , F1 MOTO GP , thay are all going to happen anyway and you would still be content regardless of where you are living . 

You are talking about what makes you content and those things that make you content have nothing to do with Thailand .

This thread is about why you like Thailand , rather than a thread about what you personally like that has no connection to Thailand  

If I was living a life I was unhappy with, and the team I support won a game/match, it would not really raise my happiness much, if at all, regardless where I was living. The location of the place where the game is played has no bearing on this and I agree with you on this point. If, however, I was living a life I was enjoying, I would appreciate my team winning so much more, even if that team plays on another continent, which would in turn increase the enjoyment in the life that I have in the place I am residing (Thailand). So being in a place you like and living a life you love, and watching sports you enjoy, and your team winning, increase your happiness in the place where you are.

Disclaimer: I do not follow any team in any sport on any continent in this galaxy or the universe and I am happy with that. In my case, sport, no matter where it is played, has no bearing on my happiness in Thailand.     

On 9/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, Pilotman said:

Got up at 6:30 this morning.  Sun was shinning, birds happy to see a little sun instead of the torrential rains of the last few days.  Swimming pool so inviting with just a slight chill to the water. Coffee by the pool and a 5 minute boiled egg salad. And the memory of a phone call with my UK based kids, who told me that they are gearing up for a harsh winter in that soulless place. It's sometimes frustrating to live here and put up with some of the <deleted> that goes with it, but boy, it is still a great place to retire. 

Some few years ago I imagined I might like a similar lifestyle in Thailand. I was visiting Thailand for a series of dental treatments combined with investigating business opportunities, a holiday and escaping a very mild 3 month Australian winter. I was never going to cut ties with my home country but was simply and mindfully investigating potentials and possibilities for living in Thailand.

Anyways, after much travelling around staying in various areas..., talking with many expat friends/acquaintances, local Thai people, tourists and randoms..., almost anyone really etc etc...., I finally decided I didn't need to relocate anywhere. I simply stayed anchored on the farm, in my orderly,  unpolluted, mostly predictable and civilised, democratic and comparatively un-corrupted, gun violence free home in S/W Australia.
However, I do enjoy tropical humidity and spicy food and I am lucky enough to be able to travel and stay where-ever(usually South East Asia) I want for the 3 months of our "very mild Aussie winter" without having to risk anything at all ? Having said that, I do have a lot of respect and affection for Thai people and their culture.
I intend no offence to any person or place..., these are simply my choices..., posted without prejudice.  

Edited by Sandy Freckle
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Some few years ago I imagined I might like a similar lifestyle in Thailand. I was visiting Thailand for a series of dental treatments combined with investigating business opportunities, a holiday and escaping a very mild 3 month Australian winter. I was never going to cut ties with my home country but was simply and mindfully investigating potentials and possibilities for living in Thailand.

Anyways, after much travelling around staying in various areas..., talking with many expat friends/acquaintances, local Thai people, tourists and randoms..., almost anyone really etc etc...., I finally decided I didn't need to relocate anywhere. I simply stayed anchored on the farm, in my orderly,  unpolluted, mostly predictable and civilised, democratic and comparatively un-corrupted, gun violence free home in S/W Australia.
However, I do enjoy tropical humidity and spicy food and I am lucky enough to be able to travel and stay where-ever(usually South East Asia) I want for the 3 months of our "very mild Aussie winter" without having to risk anything at all ? Having said that, I do have a lot of respect and affection for Thai people and their culture.
I intend no offence to any person or place..., these are simply my choices..., posted without prejudice.  

Lovely written! This forum clearly needs more female input.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

I accept your reasons, and you probably have the best of it. For 2 years of my life I stayed in LOS for 90 days twice a year to avoid the winter in both hemispheres- best 2 years of my life.

However, I'm sad to say that my country has become so PC that it makes me rather upset, and I did manage to live a year in Chiang Mai and absolutely loved it- no evidence of PC anywhere. Unfortunately lack of funds forced my return.

Lucky you, a farm is a great way to avoid the insanity of a world going mad, IMO.

Happy trails.

12 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Or your name Sandy is misleading.

..., or at least the name is gender indeterminate.????
No biggie...., <<<< thats me in the avatar pic(to the left there)..., the ranga with the hat ! ????

Edited by Sandy Freckle
  • Like 1

On September 28, 2019 at 5:07 AM, Pilotman said:

No thanks, place is a dump, with terrible infrastructure and medical services and its run by a homicidal maniac

Homicidal maniac, not much different than the dictator in Thailand.

and terrible infrastructure, dump etc, same same.thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/28/2019 at 4:14 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

You have not been there recently, if ever

I've traveled from Baguio to Zamboanga and spent a lot of time in the PI. If I NEVER return, it will be too soon. You must have very low standards. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Homicidal maniac, not much different than the dictator in Thailand.

and terrible infrastructure, dump etc, same same.thailand.

The Thai PM, as far as we know, does not control death squads out to murder anyone they please.  He is also answerable to an elected Parliament,  not so the 'moron in Manila'.  Have you seen the motorway system in Thailand and used the airports and ports?  They are far superior to many countries, including in the West. 

5 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Don't really get the point of the OP. he talks about sports results, food, pool, nature etc. It can all happen anywhere. Nothing specific to Thailand. 

Don't really get why any of that stuff would make someone love Thailand. If he mentioned some great experience with some locals, some great attraction, natural beauty etc, mad night out or whatever I get it.... 

I think what's he's trying to say is that he's having a good day in Thailand therefore he loves his life in Thailand. 

It's good that's these things make him happy, because he can go anywhere in the world and have the same result. 

I've never really understood the people who say they love living in Thailand, makes me wonder where they were previously, too easily pleased. Bit of sun, cheap eats. 

Thailand is nice enough, but it's not the be all and end all of life, and there's a certain type of expat who hates to hear that, because your opinion doesn't back up their life decisions. 

Lived in Thailand for many years previously, currently visit every 8 weeks, could never envisage having to spend all my time there again. Too many other places in the world. 

I actually find it a bit boring there these days. Maybe it's too familiar. I don't know. 

No place is perfect, none. It's about a life balance that suits you and your expectations. At this stage of my life, I live in Thailand and thoroughly enjoy it. When comparing all aspects of life, it's pretty hard to beat the land of smiles. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The Thai PM, as far as we know, does not control death squads out to murder anyone they please.  He is also answerable to an elected Parliament,  not so the 'moron in Manila'.  Have you seen the motorway system in Thailand and used the airports and ports?  They are far superior to many countries, including in the West. 

What motorway system is that then? 

The new road to Pattaya, and Kanchanapisek western ring road. 

They're the only two motorways I can think of, in the whole country. 

There are a lot of highways however, perhaps you're thinking of them. 

41 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

What motorway system is that then? 

The new road to Pattaya, and Kanchanapisek western ring road. 

They're the only two motorways I can think of, in the whole country. 

There are a lot of highways however, perhaps you're thinking of them. 

Nit picky mate, My advice is to open your eyes a bit and get rid of the Western head. . Pattaya to Rayong new road, opening soon, Rayong to Bangkok, Rayong to Korat, and through to Udon eventually.  I could go on,  Call them highways, 'A' roads, Motorways, expressways, call them what you like, its still a good and impressive road system that the Thais have built and are still adding to.  

41 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

B. 

Edited by Pilotman

48 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Nit picky mate, My advice is to open your eyes a bit and get rid of the Western head. . Pattaya to Rayong new road, opening soon, Rayong to Bangkok, Rayong to Korat, and through to Udon eventually.  I could go on,  Call them highways, 'A' roads, Motorways, expressways, call them what you like, its still a good and impressive road system that the Thais have built and are still adding to.  

B. 

My advice to you is to open your eyes a bit mate. It's a country with roads that get you from A to B. 

You might call it nitpicking, but there is a big difference between highways with possible frontage, lights, u-turns, variable road surfaces etc and a 90kph limit

And closed motorway with proper exit entry and 120 or 140 kph limit. 

Yes, the Thais have plans, but nothings done yet. 

Ill give them the pumps though. Very nice pumps. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1