11 districts in Bangkok have excessive PM2.5 dust particles

webfact

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

The situation is far worse then being publicised.  Locally, in a Bangkok district not on the "affected" list, the PM 2.5 was 127 µg/m³ (i.e. 5 times the World Health Organisation daily limit).

Plus, the 50 micrograms standard mentioned in the OP article is a THAI only standard. The U.S. and WHO standards for PM2.5 are lower.

Using the U.S. standard for PM2.5...

Good air is up to 12 micrograms

Moderate air is up to 35 micrograms

Unhealthy for sensitive groups is about 35 to 55 micrograms

Unhealthy for all is 55 and above.

So their low end 37 micrograms number is already into the unhealthy for sensitive groups category. And their high end 67 micrograms number is well into the red unhealthy for all category. And those reported values are 24 hour averages, not hourly readings which could have had much higher spikes.

34 minutes ago, legend49 said:

So happy for Bangkok experiencing what we do in Chiang Mai for 3 months every year. This year the idiot tried using his article 44 to fix it in 7 days, might as well be 7 years. If you look at a fire satellite map, Cambodia is the culprit.

I am actually happy as well. I wish they could hit the 300-700 levels for just a few days. Would be fun to see the panic when the government officials suddenly try how it really is.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

Prayut calls emergency meeting over air pollution in Bangkok

By The Nation

Calling an "emergency meeting".  The Thai art of appearing to do something while actually doing nothing, or at least, nothing meaningful or effective.

PS - Hope they have some good air purifiers in the meeting room... Today, they'll need them!!!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, SkyNets said:

But But no plasic bags!

Don't spoil the fun! keeps people occupied :wink:

Focus the attention, next will be stopping volcanoes erupting, collecting back taxes from Mount St Helen's and best of all cooling that silly hot sun down :crazy:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, khunpa said:

I am actually happy as well. I wish they could hit the 300-700 levels for just a few days. Would be fun to see the panic when the government officials suddenly try how it really is.

The central govt. has been down this road before, most recently during the bad smog season in BKK in early 2019...

It led to a day or two of vehicle smog inspections, lots of fire trucks spraying their hoses into the air, stepped up sidewalk and street cleaning, and some molasses spraying drone flights.  

And then after a few months, the weather changed and things got better, despite the useless prior efforts of all the government authorities involved.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 30la said:

It seems that the government sees only the problems of Bangkok, take a look at the rest of the country where the problems are many more!

To be fair, Pilgrim, Bangkok has the largest density and therefore the greatest cost for sick people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

I  arrived back here today from the UK after 6  weeks  away and the first thing I thought was...........<deleted>  look at the smog, thick as anything.

No backward island archipelago countries doing mass burns nearby there?

18 minutes ago, vivananahuahin said:

In Cha am yesterday PM2.5 86 microgram/M3 and today the maximum was 52 microgram/M3 and they continue to burn charcoal,they will never learn,it is time that they use google,education first.

One of the official reading stations in BKK near me was reading 83 micrograms earlier this afternoon.

Right now inside my home in central BKK, my indoor sensor is reading about 58 micrograms in a closed, unfiltered room.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Pollution Control Department reported high air pollution counts in the following areas: Kanchanaphisek Rd Bang Khun Thian Bangkok and Rama IV Rd. Khet Pathum Wan Bangkok and Intarapitak Rd. Khet Thon Buri Bangkok and Lat Phrao Rd. Khet Wang Thonglang Bangkok and Din Daeng Rd. Khet Din Daeng Bangkok, Pubpla Khet Wang Thonglang Bangkok, Mueang Nakhon Pathom, Bang Krua Bang Kruai Nonthaburi, Bang Phut Pak Kret Nonthaburi, Khlong Nueng Khlong Luang Pathum Thani, Song Kanong Phra Pradaeng Samut Prakan, Pak Nam Meuang Samut Prakan, Om Noi Krathum Baen Samut Sakhon and Maha Chai Mueang Samut Sakhon

Strange it seems that only in Bangkok there is a pollution control department, many parts of Thailand have larger quantities but it is not mentioned!
In my opinion, the tourism minister does not want to scare the tourists!
Affected tourist destinations: Pattaya, # 1 Family resort, Phuket, also has a big problem with fresh water and garbage, Samui, like Phuket, Chiang Mai, smothered by the smoke of the surrounding fires!
Thailand unfortunately is in a crisis situation with no exit because no one takes responsibility!
Here in Nakhon Sawan it is now more than a year that you cannot see a clear sky, it seems to be in London in the fall with the perpetual fog!

Chiang Mai isn’t far behind.

I feel next year, starting January, will be disastrous. Moved my family down to the islands— loved my years in CM, but this haze is beyond help. Nothing anyone will do—or try to do—can stop it. Neighboring countries is the issue too.

20 minutes ago, mduras01 said:

Chiang Mai isn’t far behind.

I feel next year, starting January, will be disastrous. Moved my family down to the islands— loved my years in CM, but this haze is beyond help. Nothing anyone will do—or try to do—can stop it. Neighboring countries is the issue too.

Disastrous is an understatement, I fear...... 

2 hours ago, seeyoujimmy said:

Does that mean they do nothing till he tells them.

No ... Your wrong ... They will get rid of all the smog in 7 days ... Or is it 7 decades .. Must be true the democratically elected government says so “;0)