11 districts in Bangkok have excessive PM2.5 dust particles

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, khunpa said:

Good!!!!

All people living in BKK should now try to x2 or x3 the levels and imagine this going on for 3-4 months. That is exactly what all people living in the north live with EVERY year.

What BKK is experiencing right now, is considered "Fresh Air" during the smoke season in the North.

That doesn’t make it any better...just because it’s worse in Chiang Mai doesn’t mean this isn’t an issue. Both are major issues. 

What a horrific and ongoing nightmare for us all.  Young, Old, Corrupt lazy politicians and young infants right out of the womb.  No-one is immune or exempt from this terrible unlivable hell Bangkok is descending into.  I hope tourists and the like abandon Thailand so that the message gets through the thick corrupt heads of those in charge and they can actually manage to do something about this horrendous nightmare.

There is a very simple solution to this problem. If the authorities were interested in solutions. The burning has to stop. There are alternatives, to this 19th century technique of burning after the sugar cane harvest. Either the government starts to encourage farmers to switch to more environmentally friendly crops, or they start to penalize farmers for burning. This heinous burning, is leading to a tremendous degree of environmental degradation, and alot of lung disease. So here is what I propose-

1. Fine the farmers 5,000 baht for a first offense, and give them a stern warning, that burning is now prohibited, and the second fine will be very harsh.

2. For a second offense, fine the farmer 100,000 baht, and warn them that if the burning continues, their land will be confiscated.

3. On the 3rd offense, confiscate their land. Period. No questions. No legal proceeding or appeals on the part of the farmers. Allow others to come in and purchase the land at a fair price, with the caveat that sugar is prohibited as a crop to be grown on that land. 

The news would travel faster than the toxic smoke, and farmers would change their ways overnight, and move into the 21st century. 

Also, slowly phase out diesel engines. If not maintained properly they are incredibly toxic and filthy. And most are not maintained properly, with filthy oil being the chief culprit. The bottom line is that the government just does not seem to care. Hard to battle utter apathy and total incompetence. 

22 minutes ago, HHTel said:

If measures have already been prepared, why does it need an order to activate such measures.  Complete BS.

prepared measures....like have a meeting to talk about it. hey, maybe theyll form a committee to look into it!

27 minutes ago, HHTel said:

If measures have already been prepared, why does it need an order to activate such measures.  Complete BS.

The PM needs to order the Fire Department to start uselessly spaying water into the air from their hoses... Otherwise, they can't manage to do it on their own. Being useless requires a specific order from a higher useless authority.

Chief Air Marshal!!! Ready the molasses drones!!!!  But don't actually fly then until ordered!!!!   :hit-the-fan:

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok enshrouded in toxic air

By The Nation

800_8308609541c9ad6.jpg?v=1569812151

Photo taken at Bang Khen,Bangkok/Rachanon Intharaksa/NationPhoto

An unhealthy level of air pollution covered 14 areas of Greater Bangkok on Monday morning, according to the Pollution Control Department due to particulate matter smaller than 2.5 micrometres (PM2.5).

Bangkok residents woke up to see a cloud of small dust in the heart of the capital, including Pathum Wan, Din Daeng, and sections of Lat Phra road.

Levels of 42-66 micrograms per cubic metre (µg/m3) were found in 14 areas. Thailand’s official safety limit is 50µg/m3, double the World Health Organisation’s 25µg/m3.

Bangkok was also ranked the second highest after Hanoi on Monday for the pollution, according to the Air quality and pollution city ranking as reported by airvisual.com.

The Pollution Control Department reported high air pollution counts in the following areas: Kanchanaphisek Rd Bang Khun Thian Bangkok and Rama IV Rd. Khet Pathum Wan Bangkok and Intarapitak Rd. Khet Thon Buri Bangkok and Lat Phrao Rd. Khet Wang Thonglang Bangkok and Din Daeng Rd. Khet Din Daeng Bangkok, Pubpla Khet Wang Thonglang Bangkok, Mueang Nakhon Pathom, Bang Krua Bang Kruai Nonthaburi, Bang Phut Pak Kret Nonthaburi, Khlong Nueng Khlong Luang Pathum Thani, Song Kanong Phra Pradaeng Samut Prakan, Pak Nam Meuang Samut Prakan, Om Noi Krathum Baen Samut Sakhon and Maha Chai Mueang Samut Sakhon

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376881

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-30

Trying to make the Chinese feel at home? ????

9 minutes ago, Pasuwan said:

This forum is full of Trolls. Seems to me, there's very little in the way of constructive comments. It's a holier Than Thou attitude. These are reasons I stay away from Farangs. 

100% spot on.  I have been here 8+ years and learned early on, any attempt to have a POSITIVE conversation with Farangs is a fool's errand. (10x times so with Thai Visa people)  It is also a waste of time to try and help folks who just landed and need directions ... since clearly ... 60 minutes with your smart phone is better than a local telling you ... "BTS is 100 meters up the road, up the escalator, follow the signs to the Ha Yaek Lat Phrao train, get off at Mo Chit"  SO much better to spend an hour becoming a smart phone zombie! "F" 'em ... I just do what Thai people do, find something else to look at, and pretend they do not exist.  SO much better!  No drama, no stress!

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

In Bangkok, Phra Khanong...Forgot to turn on my air purifier last night.  Turned it on this morning at 10:00 and this is what I get.  I cannot claim that it is accurate but....

5CEED5EC-277C-4DD0-9FB5-5CE12FB6B93F.jpeg

Mine shoots up that high if I spray my Deodorant in the room....  but they've been running 10-30 at the moment. 

I left the balcony open yesterday afternoon for a short while and it ran shot up to 85. 

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Mine shoots up that high if I spray my Deodorant in the room....  but they've been running 10-30 at the moment. 

I left the balcony open yesterday afternoon for a short while and it ran shot up to 85. 

Yeah....understood...same things happen to me (leave the door open etc) but this was just coming out of my bedroom into the living room where the AC had been off, doors closed and nothing sprayed.  It just makes me not believe any readings (either my own or the “official” ones) and let my burning eyes be the judge of how bad it is.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There is a very simple solution to this problem. If the authorities were interested in solutions. The burning has to stop. There are alternatives, to this 19th century technique of burning after the sugar cane harvest. Either the government starts to encourage farmers to switch to more environmentally friendly crops, or they start to penalize farmers for burning. This heinous burning, is leading to a tremendous degree of environmental degradation, and alot of lung disease. So here is what I propose-

1. Fine the farmers 5,000 baht for a first offense, and give them a stern warning, that burning is now prohibited, and the second fine will be very harsh.

2. For a second offense, fine the farmer 100,000 baht, and warn them that if the burning continues, their land will be confiscated.

3. On the 3rd offense, confiscate their land. Period. No questions. No legal proceeding or appeals on the part of the farmers. Allow others to come in and purchase the land at a fair price, with the caveat that sugar is prohibited as a crop to be grown on that land. 

The news would travel faster than the toxic smoke, and farmers would change their ways overnight, and move into the 21st century. 

Also, slowly phase out diesel engines. If not maintained properly they are incredibly toxic and filthy. And most are not maintained properly, with filthy oil being the chief culprit. The bottom line is that the government just does not seem to care. Hard to battle utter apathy and total incompetence. 

True. Well written. ????

Can imagine if most of the taxis were not on LPG or NGV then. The diesel engine EURO I, II, III and so on must be applied to phase out the old engines commercial vehicles.

Smog is temperorary but air pollution is permanent.

2 hours ago, Airalee said:

In Bangkok, Phra Khanong...Forgot to turn on my air purifier last night.  Turned it on this morning at 10:00 and this is what I get.  I cannot claim that it is accurate but....

5CEED5EC-277C-4DD0-9FB5-5CE12FB6B93F.jpeg

I have one of these in every room, and if I open the window for short time they go up to 50 or so but in 10-15 minutes return to about 15-20 where they hover for the last few days.

Normally they were between 1 and 4 majority of the time with an occasional jump to 7 or 8 before returning to as close to 0 as it gets.

They do run 24/7 though, set to Auto.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

PM2.5 dust particles

So BKK is covered in a smog of it's own pollution, meanwhile, to save Thailand's economy during the US/China Trade war, the Thai government has invested over 12BN Baht in the past year to Americanizing their military (tanks and helicopters), sealed the deal with neighboring ASEAN countries to allow foreign investment of plastic manufacturing facilities (more air and water pollution) and, meanwhile, janitors continue to burn debris with plastics in a pile outside of government buildings. The good news, Greenpeace got some Thai kids to play dead outside of a government build to send a strong message about climate change. 

34 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I have one of these in every room, and if I open the window for short time they go up to 50 or so but in 10-15 minutes return to about 15-20 where they hover for the last few days.

Normally they were between 1 and 4 majority of the time with an occasional jump to 7 or 8 before returning to as close to 0 as it gets.

They do run 24/7 though, set to Auto.

How much?

How long does the filter last?

Do you have a PM2.5 meter on it?

Good Thinking!

9 minutes ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

How much?

How long does the filter last?

Do you have a PM2.5 meter on it?

Good Thinking!

3500 baht up from Lazada, I bought them a while back so they were around 6000 baht at that time. Global version. Yes, they have pm2.5 meter on them. It's Xiaomi Air Purifier 2S. Can connect with Mi Home app so you can control them and see the remaining filter life and temperature/humidity/air quality reading from anywhere.

Filters are 800 baht or so on Lazada for genuine ones, full price 899 or 999, can't remember, but even Xiaomi shop always gave discount.

There's a larger model available, Air Purifier Pro (looks same just taller) for larger rooms, but uses same filter; and Air Purifier Max which looks similar but uses different filters and is up to 120m2.

In my ones filters last about 5-6 months at 24/7 use in the middle of quite a polluted area of Bangkok.

6 hours ago, CGW said:

Don't spoil the fun! keeps people occupied :wink:

Focus the attention, next will be stopping volcanoes erupting, collecting back taxes from Mount St Helen's and best of all cooling that silly hot sun down :crazy:

Alternative use for molasses drones?

Archived