11 districts in Bangkok have excessive PM2.5 dust particles

webfact

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

In Bangkok, Phra Khanong...Forgot to turn on my air purifier last night.  Turned it on this morning at 10:00 and this is what I get.  I cannot claim that it is accurate but....

5CEED5EC-277C-4DD0-9FB5-5CE12FB6B93F.jpeg

What is the large "320" number on your purifier's digital display supposed to represent?

I doubt it's supposed to be a 320 AQI, especially for BKK today. It absolutely could not be 320 micrograms of PM2.5.  It doesn't sound from your comments like it could be the time... So what then?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What is the large "320" number on your purifier's digital display supposed to represent?

I doubt it's supposed to be a 320 AQI, especially for BKK today. It absolutely could not be 320 micrograms of PM2.5.  It doesn't sound from your comments like it could be the time... So what then?

It’s supposed to be the PM2.5 reading per the manufacturer.  

https://www.mi.com/th/mi-air-purifier-2s

As I said before, I make no claim as to the accuracy.

Just now, Airalee said:

It’s supposed to be the PM2.5 reading per the manufacturer.  

As I said before, I make no claim as to the accuracy.

A 320 PM2.5 for BKK this morning would be HIGHLY improbable, especially in the absence of some immediately proximate pollution source.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A 320 PM2.5 for BKK this morning would be HIGHLY improbable, especially in the absence of some immediately proximate pollution source.

I’m not far from what appears to be a refinery (a couple miles) that sometimes has flames billowing from the “smokestacks”.  Maybe I was downwind from it at the time.  Could that possible be why it is?  It literally felt like I was in a cloud of smoke when stepped outside this morning and my eyes were burning upon waking up.  Moving to a beach area is looking pretty nice right about now.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Mine shoots up that high if I spray my Deodorant in the room....  but they've been running 10-30 at the moment. 

I left the balcony open yesterday afternoon for a short while and it ran shot up to 85. 

Mine maxes out at that if I'm frying food but eventually settles down at 5 except today where its been 15 all day

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

3500 baht up from Lazada, I bought them a while back so they were around 6000 baht at that time. Global version. Yes, they have pm2.5 meter on them. It's Xiaomi Air Purifier 2S. Can connect with Mi Home app so you can control them and see the remaining filter life and temperature/humidity/air quality reading from anywhere.

Filters are 800 baht or so on Lazada for genuine ones, full price 899 or 999, can't remember, but even Xiaomi shop always gave discount.

There's a larger model available, Air Purifier Pro (looks same just taller) for larger rooms, but uses same filter; and Air Purifier Max which looks similar but uses different filters and is up to 120m2.

In my ones filters last about 5-6 months at 24/7 use in the middle of quite a polluted area of Bangkok.

What is the make and model number? How large is the actual filter? It is all about how massive the filters are on these devices. Thanks. 

30 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What is the make and model number? How large is the actual filter? It is all about how massive the filters are on these devices. Thanks. 

Mi Air Purifier 2S

https://www.jd.co.th/product/xiaomi-mi-air-purifier-2s-pm2.5_3747103.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=_PL:SP_CA:All_KB:SP_BU:All_TE:PMKT_CT:CAT_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhb29jov55AIVjh0rCh1oXgLfEAQYASABEgLmf_D_BwE

The filter is made in Japan FWIW

I have been quite happy with mine also.

23 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Aye, aye, aye, haven't the governor and authorities learned anything from the past,.....

Yes,they’ve learned that making some ineffectual noises and ill thought through suggestions is all that’s required until next time.

10 hours ago, geisha said:

Getting a bit worried about this as I have an allergic eye problem .Ill be going to Jomtien end of November, is it likely to be bad there ?

why is this pollution happening now particularly? Thanks.

The government the other day blamed it on an inversion layer weather system keeping all the junk in the atmosphere. Of course, weather doesn't cause air pollution -- cars, trucks, factories and agricultural burning do.

324956679_2019-10-0112_04_13.jpg.edfda76bf43617ab604390827a931326.jpg

https://www.airvisual.com/thailand/chon-buri/pattaya

On 9/30/2019 at 11:33 AM, MaxLee said:

Aye, aye, aye, haven't the governor and authorities learned anything from the past,.....

Nope, well not around here. 

Driving back on the school run yesterday late afternoon and it was like a murky dust cloud.

Still plenty burning stubble off; still large numbers of vehicles belching large clouds of black diesel clouds. 

Give it a few more days and the  the same old "vows" to do this that and the other to address it will be trotted out. And nothing will happen.

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Nope, well not around here. 

Driving back on the school run yesterday late afternoon and it was like a murky dust cloud.

Still plenty burning stubble off; still large numbers of vehicles belching large clouds of black diesel clouds. 

Give it a few more days and the  the same old "vows" to do this that and the other to address it will be trotted out. And nothing will happen.

I guess this will be a permanent problem which will only get worst.....

Archived