Letter from Thai bank to confirm balance

I'm trying to help an older Aussie guy here in Chiang Mai, he's now well over 80 and he gets everything confused. He has to renew his retirement visa late next week. 

Another friend took him to his Thai bank (big famous bank) to get a letter to confirm his bank balance but the staff claimed that they have to send a request to their HO in Bkk.

I don't have to get such letter because I have PR, so I'm learning as we go along.

Can I please ask other members to comment on the following questions:

1. When you get these letters are they issued at local branches of does the request go to HO in Bkk?

2. Is there a cost? Typically how many Baht?

3. Do you have to go back 1 or 2 days later ? Or generally available while you wait?

4. Is it generally signed by the bank service desk person or by the branch manager? Is a bank stamp always added?

4. Is the letter in English and Thai? Can It be requested in just Thai, just English or in both languages?

5. Does the letter show just the balance on the date of the letter or does it generally include details of  transactions for last 30 or 60 days or ?  

6. Do any banks also add a conversion to a stated currency using the mid rate for that day? Or always just the balance in Thai Baht.

6. Does the bank officer have to write the whole letter or is it a template already in their systems?

Any other valuable comments much appreciated. 

Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume he wants the letter that confirms his account and balance for the 800k baht in bank option.

1/3. Normally done while you wait at the local branch.

2. One or 200 baht dependent on the the bank.

4. Manager

it will be in Thai.

5. Only on the date the letter is written.

6. No exchange rate unless it is foreign currency account. 

The bank has a template for it.

Here is an example of a letter from Bangkok Bank.bank letter.pdf

Thank you Joe, the friend says he also needs the same letter in English (for some different purpose).

Has anybody ever requested this letter in English?

(I already know that the bank concerned can select English or Thai in their systems (e.g. print deposit and withdrawal slips in Thai or in English). 

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration want it to be in Thai. They would not accept one in English.

Sure but the old guy says he needs it in English from time to time to send to something like a pension fund abroad (all very vague and he seems to be avoiding giving a clear answer but maybe some good reason for that.

Any other members ever requested the letter in English (as well as in Thai for Thai immigration)?

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Any other members ever requested the letter in English (as well as in Thai for Thai immigration)?

No...not for me.

I think that perhaps you already answered the question with...

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

he's now well over 80 and he gets everything confused

• Haha 1

First, many thanks to UbonJoe for all the assistance and info that you provide.

Last year, and previously, Chiang Wattana accepted my bank letter from K-Bank in English. No problem.

This year the bank officer asked English or Thai, so I said Thai. All done in 10 minutes at my branch. Fee was 100 baht. Very pleased with the excellent service! ????

On 10/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, NancyL said:

Sometimes the branch bank has to get the letter from their HQ if the person makes a request at a branch that isn't the "home branch" for the account.  That could take a few days.  

In my case I got it from a branch which isn't my home branch. I had no problems. This was at Bangkok Bank in Phayao.

• Like 1