USED Motorcycles through a Chiang Mai Dealer? Honda MSX or Kawasaki KSR

WaveHunter

31 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Just make sure you adjust the chain now and again so that it's not too loose and keep it lubed with actual chain lube, not wd40. And carry a can of tyreweld under the seat to get you home in case you get a puncture. And if you buy a used bike, the first thing to do is replace the battery with a good brand like Yuasa, not a Thai brand. Then you're very unlikely to get yourself into a pickle.

Yes, very aware of chain maintenance from riding mountain bikes and would take that seriously on a motorcycle for sure.  I was just watching a YouTube video on that actually; about using a wax based chain lubricant.

Also occured to me to carry a tire repair liquid.  You mentioned keeping it "under the seat".  I've been wondering whether the KSR or MSX have any under-seat storage.  It doesn't look like there is any under-seat storage.  Am I mistaken?

Edited by WaveHunter

Just want to thank everybody for chiming in with your thoughts!  It's been really helpful so far, for sure, and very appreciated. 

Nice to see there seems to be a strong community of experienced and knowledgeable bike riders on here willing to take the time to share. ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

Since you are inexperienced you should start with something tame. I'd suggest a used Honda Dream 100 automatic. Don't worry about cosmetics because you'll probably dump it a time or two. Make sure it runs with good breaks and all the lights work. Wear a motorcycle helmet and arm guards. 

I'd also stay off the main roads until you get experienced (6+ months).  

Are you addressing this to me?  If so, good advice from you and appreciated.  I plan to get a bike mainly just to get around town more conveniently than I was able to only on my bicycle, although a bicycle in Chiang Mai traffic actually a wonderful way to get around town I think.  It's more maneuverable (and safer IMO) than even a scooter is.   It's just when you have to go long distances like from WatKet to Suthep that a bicycle becomes a problem.

Also though, I really want a motorcycle to explore outside of town on the back roads and trails, especially around Doi Suthep.  There's just so much that you miss if you can't easily get out of town and explore the countryside, ya know?

I'm looking at bikes a bit larger than 100cc; probably 150cc, and one capable of being used on occasion off-road for the dirt trails surrounding Doi Suthep, like a Honda MSX, or Kawasaki KSR, maybe even a Kawasaki KLX150. 

I'm all ears though if anyone has suggestions on bike models or recommended places to buy used bikes for they type of use I've described.  Just used, not new.

I see plenty of used motorcycles to choose from on Facebook Marketplace (great place to buy and sell used thing in Thailand that I never really appreciated until just recently), so I'm not too concerned with finding a good bike, and just as importantly, being able to sell it when it comes time to leave Thailand.

Good advice from you about protective gear and having a well maintained bike.  That does not seem to be a priority for many riders here in the Kingdom (Farangs and Thais alike).  It always surprises me to see people ride without helmets.  It may seem cool in some people's eyes (the wind blowing through your hair and all of that) but it's foolish and is a disaster just waiting to happen.  

Believe it or not, I am an accomplished motorcycle rider.  I rode bikes up to 750cc for years when I lived in the USA.  Unfortunately, my state did not require a special classification on my driver's license for motorcycles, so now, here in thailand I must start from scratch with licensing.  I'm beginning to feel it won't be as big of a deal as I first thought though, and I thank a lot of members here for helping me realize that.  

Even though I'm an experienced rider, the way traffic is here in Thailand, riding conditions are incredibly more dangerous than in the USA.  I know that from riding a bicycle on main streets in Chiang Mai, and even on the Superhighway several times by accident.  Even worse is riding a bicycle to get around Pattaya!  Sometimes it makes you feel like a fighter pilot entering enemy territory!

I've seen many motorcycle drivers here (Both Thai and Farang) do some pretty stupid and scary stuff on the roads (not just affecting their own safety but other's around them.  When you ride a bicycle you really notice those things!   I'm wary of the prospects of riding a motorcycle here but also looking forward to it too!

Anyway, thanks for the good advice; not only helpful to me but others as well.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, papa al said:

Lifan X-plore

I like Lifan; nice inexpensive bikes.  I've seen them new but not used in Chiang Mai.  I did see a 2015 Lifan 200 cc though that appealed to me.  Advertised in Bangkok on Facebook Marketplace, and pretty nice looking too.  I could live with it  ????

69660928_2475873155968874_2907909080930582528_n.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

Good to hear you are experienced with big bikes. However, I'm surprised your state didn't require licensing and/or designation on your DL. I thought all states in the US required it.

Could you tell us which state that was? Perhaps you were misinformed and were actually riding illegally? In general the police in the US don't set up check points to check registration and licensing as in Thailand. An unlicensed driver could ride a MC a long time in the US,unless stopped for a violation. 

I've also seen some scary things from both MC and cyclists. 

If riding a racing type bike most people have their heads down and don't see all that well. There was a recent accident in CM where a farang rear ended a parked tow truck because of this. Sitting up on a racing bike reduces control. Maybe you have a touring bike like me, where you sit up but you lack speed. 

Actually, now that you’ve brought this up I checked, and you are correct that my state (Florida) does in fact require an endorsement for motorcycles!  However, it does not get denoted on the license itself.  

I had registered several motorcycles over time, each requiring I drive motorcycle to DMV for mileage verification by DMV officer, and never questioned about lack of endorsement.  Also, I had been pulled over on more than one occasion (once for speeding, and another time at established checkpoint), and was never ticketed for lack of endorsement!  

So, I just assumed no encirclement was required.  Perhaps it wasn’t at the time, or Florida is just very lax on this, at least at the time.

2 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

...I've also seen some scary things from both MC and cyclists. 

If riding a racing type bike most people have their heads down and don't see all that well. There was a recent accident in CM where a farang rear ended a parked tow truck because of this. Sitting up on a racing bike reduces control. Maybe you have a touring bike like me, where you sit up but you lack speed. ...

I know we disagree about a lot of things, but here we are in total agreement.  As much as I love the thrill of riding motorcycles (and racing road bicycles, as well as mountain bikes), I’ve always taken it very seriously from a safety perspective.

Ive seen some really horrible motorcycle accidents due to operator stupidity.  I’ve also had a number of “close calls” due to the “other driver”.  You can never be too careful on a bike, particularly here in Thailand!

I have laid a bike down on more than one occasion.  It’s inevitable that it’s going to happen no matter how careful you are.  When it happens it’s a very sobering experience.  It makes you realize how vulnerable you really are on a bike.  

If you’re smart when it happens, it’s a lesson well learned.  If not, and you continue to exceed your limits, then it’s only a matter of time before you buy the farm IMO.

All you have to do is be witness to one serious motorcycle accident (I saw one resulting in a fatality).  It’s something you never forget...ever!

Edited by WaveHunter