Work Visa Needed For Creative Writers?

I have an elderly friend who wishes to visit Thailand for a few months. During this time she wants to continue writing fiction novels. She wants to get some inspiration from observing life here.

Will she require a visa if she does the writing while here?

Thank you.

If only writing and observing the answer is no. 
A visa does no allow a person to work. Only a work permit allows that.
Sorry, I should have said work permit above.

If she sends to publisher, would that cross the line into working? If so, I'll suggest she waits till she's back.

Thank you again.

8 minutes ago, JayBird said:

If she sends to publisher, would that cross the line into working? If so, I'll suggest she waits till she's back.

Not a problem to do that. Since it is not considered to be working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBird said:

Sorry, I should have said work permit above.

Thank you again.

If she is writing a book with the intent to sell it, I would say that is unquestionably work (an occupation) and would require permission (work permit); however, I would imagine most people doing that do not declare their work to the authorities.

It is highly unlikely that the authorities would prosecute such work if discovered, but by the letter of the law permission to work is always required.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If she is writing a book with the intent to sell it, I would say that is unquestionably work (an occupation) and would require permission (work permit); however, I would imagine most people doing that do not declare their work to the authorities.

It is highly unlike that the authorities would prosecute such work if discovered, but by the letter of the law permission to work is always required.

I agree.

I think we can agree that the chance anybody asked her what she is doing is about 0.0000x%.

If she arrives in Thailand maybe she should tell the nice guys at the border she is a tourist on holiday. She should not say: I am working.

And in the most unlikely case someone sees her writing and ask what she is doing then maybe she can say she is taking notes about all her wonderful experiences in Thailand.

• Like 1