Cabinet okays anti-pollution measures proposed by PCD

snoop1130

Cabinet okays anti-pollution measures proposed by PCD

By THE NATION

800_fb6cdf9a3f5871f.jpeg

Narumon Pinyosinwat

The Cabinet approved the three measures proposed by the Pollution Control Department (PCD) to tackle air pollution in Greater Bangkok, Cabinet spokesperson Narumon Pinyosinwat said on Tuesday (October 1).

“These measures are based on the lessons learned from similar problems back in 2017 and 2018,” she said.

The three measures to be implemented are:

1. Coping with pressing problems and crises more efficiently;

2. Tackling with pollution at the source;

3. Boosting management efficiency.”

Narumon said the first measure tackles smog on a stage-by-stage basis, such as it’s business as usual when PM2.5 is lower than 50 micrograms per cubic metre of air (µg/m3), tighter controls will be in place when PM2.5 is between 51µg/m3 and 75µg/m3 and strict controls will be implemented when it exceeds 76µg/m3 but does not exceed 100µg/m3.

"When pollution exceeds the 100µg/m3 mark, the Pollution Control Department and National Environment Board can present emergency measures to the prime minister to execute immediately,” she said.

Meanwhile, the second and third measures will be implemented on a short-term basis from 2018 to 2021 and in the long-term from 2022 to 2024, the spokesperson added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376951

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-01

Water sprays?  Songkran must have arrived.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-warns-private-and-public-sectors-to-cooperate-in-reducing-harmful-emissions/

PM warns private and public sectors to cooperate in reducing harmful emissions

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha today warned members of the public and the private sector to significantly reduce their carbon and dust emissions or face tougher action by the government. His advice came as the haze and general pollution in Bangkok’s atmosphere appears to be worsening.

• October 1, 2019
Edited by anchadian

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Come on, Honey!!!!

Don't keep us all in suspense... WHAT controls???

Don't keep teasing us this way.... :whistling:

Gas Mk1 for 20  minutes I  think........to keep on topic make it carbon monoxide gas

Okay so they are going to act when it is an emergency but not before.  

Why not try some positive things.  

Like block off the area around the palace and the Wat Pho area make it foot traffic or bicycle only.

Block off the front of Siam Paragon so that people can set up shops and thereby cut down on cars.  Better still take the whole silom area from National stadium to Chidlom and make it vehicle free.  Anyone wanting to use the BTS between these points get it free

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

You forget that without the executive it is impossible to implement your plan!
What is lacking in Thailand is an efficient police that is able to enforce the laws!

13 hours ago, Chazar said:

how  much  more  <deleted>  can  they  spout

Its much easier to spout BS and nonsense statements than implement effective measures such as eliminating diesel vehicles, monitoring factories, moving crematoriums out of the city and ensuring they have proper filters, stopping open burning.... you know the tough stuff that might actually result in tangible results.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The three measures to be implemented are:

Changing officials for ones that are capable & knowledgeable in tacking all of the above would be a good "measure to implement"   the sooner the better!

19 hours ago, Calach said:

Burning incense, smoking cigarettes and cooking barbecues are forbidden until pollution returns to healthier levels. 

And burning trash. It's common outside of bangkok at government buildings, in peoples backyards and in the countryside. leaves, small branches are racked into a small pile with plastic straws (contain BPA), plastic bags (contain petrol and toxic chemicals) and plastic cups (made with one of the most toxic plastics - #6) and they are all burned together. PM2.5 refers to only size, NOT toxicity. A PM2.5 sized piece of dust is not going to affect your body the same as a PM2.5 sized carcinogenic fragment of trash smoke soot. That's why we gotta stop burning trash. It's a big deal that few people know about.  I can fix this problem, but I need help. That's why I'm on here. I need a Thai partner.  

6 minutes ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

I can fix this problem, but I need help. That's why I'm on here. I need a Thai partner.  

Unless you’re going to release a virus that will wipe out the population, you can’t fix these people. 

• Like 1

These three just mean "must do better"...  what are they going to do except work more efficiently... and why were they working so inefficiently before?

"Narumon said the first measure tackles smog on a stage-by-stage basis, such as it’s business as usual when PM2.5 is lower than 50 micrograms per cubic metre of air (µg/m3), tighter controls will be in place when PM2.5 is between 51µg/m3 and 75µg/m3 and strict controls will be implemented when it exceeds 76µg/m3 but does not exceed 100µg/m3."

What?! Treat 50 µg/m3 as "business as usual"? They must be confusing µg/m3 with the Air Quality Index (AQI) or consciously moving the goal posts so they don't really have to address the problem. I get concerned and start trouble shooting If I get above 5 µg/m3 (roughly, 15 AQI) in my main living space. The conversion ratio I use to go from µg/m3 to AQI is 1:3 to be in the ballpark - based Air Visual's side-by-side display of µg/m3 and AQI on their site. Of course, there is no way that Bangkok air can even get in the ballpark with the cleanliness of my living space air because I have very tight controls on it at all times and don't have serious pollution sources. My job is to protect my breathing air  from Bangkok's out-of-control air pollution and do a pretty job of it, I believe.

And as many have already asked: what "controls" are they going to "tighten"? Spraying water into the air? Send children home from school? Didn't Prayut shut down 600 Bangkok businesses when it got bad last year? Or is just me hallucinating again?

Edited by MaxYakov