First Time Non O Visa at Savannakhet Help with a few questions

Hi I will be doing my first Multi Non O Visa (Based on Marriage) Visa application next Week (Tuesday) I think I have everything paperwork wise that is sorted out but need some advice on a question I have, first this is what I have prepared already

Marriage Cert plus copy (Copy signed by my wife & myself)

Kor Ror 2 (Just in case needed to prove we are still married & signed by the both of us)

My Passport  & copy of main Page signed by me

Wife's ID card & copy which has been signed by my wife

Blue House Book & Copy of Main Page with my wifes name & address, signed by my wife

Laos Visa Form filled in  

Thai Consulate Non O Visa form filled in

3 x Photos for visa forms (1 x Laos & 2 Thai)

Now for the question I have, I will be traveling with my wife & Son who have Thai ID cards, I heard they need a boarding pass & 1 photo (50 Baht each) which covers a short stay in Laos) where do they go to get this ? is it on the bridge ? where about ? 

Thanks 

I presume that your son and wife are Thai citizens if they have an ID card, so they do not have to apply for a visa or produce a photo at all. That is my Thai wife's experience crossing once into Savannakhet on the Friendship Bridge with me and once at Vang Tao (sic?) towards Pakse. So easy for Thai citizens.

I need to do this trip in a couple of months myself. (long story) Are you applying for the 1 year marriage extension but with 90 day exit requirements? That visa supposedly relieves you from needing 400k Thai baht in the bank in Savan.

44 minutes ago, JASON THAI said:

Now for the question I have, I will be traveling with my wife & Son who have Thai ID cards, I heard they need a boarding pass & 1 photo (50 Baht each) which covers a short stay in Laos) where do they go to get this ? is it on the bridge ? where about ? 

If they do not have Thai passport to use for entry to Laos they will need a border pass.

The office is on the left side of the road just before the bridge. It is in the same area where covered parking is available.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

I presume that your son and wife are Thai citizens if they have an ID card, so they do not have to apply for a visa or produce a photo at all.

I would guess she has a Thai passport she used for entry Laos.

A border pass would be needed if she did not have a passport.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If they do not have Thai passport to use for entry to Laos they will need a border pass.

The office is on the left side of the road just before the bridge. It is in the same area where covered parking is available.

Thanks Joe, my wife & Son both have passports but they expired a couple of years ago, we are traveling up by bus from Korat to Mukdahan then we were going to take the international bus across but if we do this will it stop at the office so they can get the boarder pass or will I need to take a Tuk Tuk there first & then again to cross the bridge ?

You could get off the bus when it stops for immigration and walk back to get the border pass.

You can get on the next bus at immigration by showing your ticket from reports I have read.

It might be easier though to get a tuk tuk to the border pass office and buy the bus ticket just before immigration.

The border pass office does not open until 8:30.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe, most likely take the tuk tuk & get the boarder pass, when I come to extend the 90 days by another 60 days at my local IO I will go to the passport office in town & get them both new Thai  passports so we don't have to go to the boarder office again, do they need to fill out the Laos visa form as well if they have a Thai passport ? 

28 minutes ago, JASON THAI said:

Thanks Joe, most likely take the tuk tuk & get the boarder pass, when I come to extend the 90 days by another 60 days at my local IO I will go to the passport office in town & get them both new Thai  passports so we don't have to go to the boarder office again, do they need to fill out the Laos visa form as well if they have a Thai passport ? 

Thais get a 30 day visa exempt entry to Laos. No need for a visa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JASON THAI said:

Sorry Joe little confused here, so if they had Thai passports they just hand those in for a 30 day stamp for free & they do not have to fill in any forms

That is correct. They get a 30 day visa exempt entry due to a bilateral agreement between Thailand and Laos. Laotians get the same 30 day visa exempt entry to here.

36 minutes ago, JASON THAI said:

Sorry Joe little confused here, so if they had Thai passports they just hand those in for a 30 day stamp for free & they do not have to fill in any forms unlike myself who needs to fill in the visa application form & pay the fee 

YES.......

12 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

I presume that your son and wife are Thai citizens if they have an ID card, so they do not have to apply for a visa or produce a photo at all. That is my Thai wife's experience crossing once into Savannakhet on the Friendship Bridge with me and once at Vang Tao (sic?) towards Pakse. So easy for Thai citizens.

I need to do this trip in a couple of months myself. (long story) Are you applying for the 1 year marriage extension but with 90 day exit requirements? That visa supposedly relieves you from needing 400k Thai baht in the bank in Savan.

Yes, that visa, either single or multiple entry, for now at least has no money in the bank requirement at Savanekhet. But you do have to exit the Kingdom every 90 days. It's possible to use it to get a,last 90 day entry just before the visa expires if you get a multiple entry one. For me this is a great visa option as I don't live anything like full time in Thailand, so why have to keep money there?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Dick Z said:

Actually I never mention I am married (which I am, to a Thai wife). A lot less papers and you get the same retirement visa.

Do not forget you will require a copy of your passport page stamped with your exit stamp from Thailand and entry  stamp to Laos.

21 hours ago, Dick Z said:

Actually I never mention I am married (which I am, to a Thai wife). A lot less papers and you get the same retirement visa.

Nobody is talking about a retirement extension of stay here - this is for marriage and a multi entry visa issued by a Consulate without the need for financials.  

1 hour ago, CelticTam said:

Do not forget you will require a copy of your passport page stamped with your exit stamp from Thailand and entry  stamp to Laos.

This in not correct info, you do not need copy of Laos visa or exit/entry stamps. It's only the 10 Baht/copy guys that have that requirement.

Edited by drjden
  • Like 1

Did you get a Multiple Entry Non-O based on Retirement ? If so what did you need to provide in the way of (1) Lump sum money in a Thai bank (2) Monthly income into a Thai bank?.