Prime minister calls on all sectors to cooperate to solve airborne dust problem

rooster59

tewit kemtong

b4a96a0cdcc1facb74c8cca0f451541e_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Prime Minister/Defense Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha called on all sectors to solve the PM 2.5 dust problem with understanding and without panicking. He has instructed authorities to take measures to reduce adverse effects on the people.

In Government Weekly Episode 8 on the Thai Khu Fa Facebook page, the prime minister confirmed the government is focusing on the PM 2.5 issue, which is caused by various factors such as haze from a other countries, traffic congestion, the burning of weeds and the release of smoke from factories and construction sites.

Gen Prayut said the people should first understand how to solve the problem. The cabinet has approved operation plans to reduce the PM 2.5 at levels 1 , 2, 3 and 4. Cooperation has been provided by every province and every agency. The authorities will have to help the people understand that they might be affected by enforcement of regulations designed to reduce pollution. For instance, the authorities will take action against black smoke being emitted from vehicles.

Legal action might be taken against motorists or owners of vehicles which emit black smoke and such vehicles might taken off the road. In the case of public transport, passengers may inform the authorities of those vehicles emitting black smoke.

The prime minister said every member of the public should cooperate with the authorities while existing laws are to be strictly observed, even if they find themselves adversely affected. However, the authorities have been instructed to be lenient.

He said the weather is cool in December and the airborne dust does not disperse much in winter. It is like a dome of dust hovering in the air. He said every big city in the world has this kind of problem.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-10-06

18 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Legal action might be taken against motorists or owners of vehicles which emit black smoke and such vehicles might taken off the road. In the case of public transport, passengers may inform the authorities of those vehicles emitting black smoke.

I never saw a public bus in Bangkok not emitting black smoke.  Did this general ever walk outside on the street?

Edited by dimitriv
  • Like 2

Civialized cities have street sweepers( and I don't mean old ladys with brooms) they sweep streets at night, then follow by washing them, much of the dust is churned up by traffic ...another quick fix is , have all buses change exhaust systems, to dump fumes from the top of the bus,not ground level....but when 90% of the vehicles on the roads are worn out diesels ,better yet , bring back the wicker rickshaws...this Nation will never clean up its air period...

Edited by mok199
  • Like 2

Has the military junta PM leader chief just declared war on dust- get them subs into action.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

calling all sectors calling all sectors - over...………………….silence

If this primary initiative doesn't work will you resign ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The smoke/pollution is the main reason we now live mainly in Australia.  Nothing in this 'fable' that will change our minds about living there during the smoke season. Which used to be only for a few months, but has now become nearly 6 months every year (in Isaan) - 12 months in Bangkok.  Some years ago I stayed in Delhi for a while - I never saw a blue sky - Bangkok is heading that way. 

• Thanks 2

Do Thai people really care about pollution?

We live on a corner of a closed soi and every evening there is between 4 and 10 cars parked around our wall. All with their motors running for about 2chours while the drivers' bosses are eating in Japanese restaurants near us.

As soon as I open the house door I can smell the fumes. I have asked them many times to turn of their motors, but they don't care.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As usual, the man is completely reactive to situations. If it wasn't for the pollution returning this week he would not have been proactive in any way to try and rectify this problem before it starts properly again in a few months. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petedk said:

Do Thai people really care about pollution?

You are talking about people who littler uncontrollably and have no problem squatting down next to an open sewer or pile of stinking garbage to eat a meal while roaches and rats run around them.

The average Thai is primitive and you can see it in everything they do.

9 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

All I hear from him is excuses - no action plan.
The same fires on the same mountains burn every year at the same time.
What does this country have an army for if they can not even prevent people setting huge fires and come back later to collect their loot in the form of mushrooms and plants?
The authorities spent millions to print huge colorful and expensive posters last year to announce the burning ban which people simply ignored and we had one of the worst and longest burning seasons ever in the North.
These greedy people have no idea what damage they are doing to the health of all other innocent people who have to breath the toxic air! Tourism is suffering big time and funnily nobody seems to care about Thailand’s ever important “reputation” when Chiang Mai won the title for most polluted city in the world for weeks in a row!

A lot of talk from the PM and no action! When he visited Chiang Mai towards the end of the toxic air crises this year the useless police where - for one day while he was visiting - checking vehicle emissions on the 118 in Doi Saket coming into the city while the mountains right behind them and all around the city where on fire every night which was simply ignored for months!
I am afraid with all the ignorance, incompetence and unwillingness to enforce existing laws we are looking forward to another toxic air crises beginning of next year because all this PM and his cronies are doing is talk! A few more years of these incompetent fools will bring Thailand to it’s knees!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have huge fires on the Mountain where I reside almost every day at times.

The fires are the result of Recycle Business,s dumping all the waste product ( including from E-Waste }, which has little or no profit for them, and then along comes the Dump Scavengers to pick  it through and light the fires to remove small amounts of wire from PVC sheathing, and burning all the other trash as well.

The Local Authority have been made aware of this situation over many Years now by many Residents in the Local Village and surrounding area, including myself.

However, these use a lame excuse that they cannot find the owner of the land, so therefore cannot get Court Orders against them to stop the Dumping of the Trash.

As this Illegal Dump is adjacent to Reservation Land, I think I can guess as to the owner of the Land is

5 hours ago, dcnx said:

You are talking about people who littler uncontrollably and have no problem squatting down next to an open sewer or pile of stinking garbage to eat a meal while roaches and rats run around them.

The average Thai is primitive and you can see it in everything they do.

I'm also talking about the Mercedes' owners and drivers and that type of people who like to sit in the comfort of their aircon car rather than sit outside or in the shopping mall and wait.

Walk through a shopping mall car park and see how many people lay there relaxing/sleeping in the cars with the air con whilr the wife/daughter or whatever is shopping. Much more comfortable than standing and waiting in the shopping mall.