2.5m hour wait for bags

Orton Rd

They have the immigration lines sorted out but yesterday had to wait for two and a half hours for bags to appear on belt 20. As you can imagine people were not impressed or with the excuses of the 'rain' and belt stuck. Then they started loading bags on flight after us. One or two brits did the wrong thing of shouting at staff and even sitting on the belt going round in protest, glad to eventually get away but others were still there when I left. The time is not an exaggeration.

I agree with the above post, your experience was unusual. I arrived around 06.30 this morning which is a busy time with European flights. I was one of the first off the aircraft, walked from the gate which was admittedly fairly remote, was through immigration in 30 seconds and my bag was already on the belt.

Yes, I, too, have never had to wait all that long for my luggage at BKK.

Contrast this with LHR and CDG airports, where being expected to hang around at baggage carousels for ages on end is the rule rather than the exception in my experience.

That is very unusual at BKK, there must have been a very good reason for the delay.

Baggage handling is something that is normally done very well.

Not in my experience, always 20-30 minutes waiting for bags.

This is based on arriving once a twice per month since the airport opened so a good spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/10/2019 at 4:45 PM, JaiLai said:

Not in my experience, always 20-30 minutes waiting for bags.

This is based on arriving once a twice per month since the airport opened so a good spectrum.

Normal time is meant to be 20 minutes, I think 2.5 hours deserved a protest, drunken or not and especially when they started to load flights arriving after ours. Not helped by the lack of info and lies- another 20 minutes etc when nothing had started an hour later, people are bound to get annoyed.

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Normal time is meant to be 20 minutes, I think 2.5 hours deserved a protest, drunken or not and especially when they started to load flights arriving after ours. Not helped by the lack of info and lies- another 20 minutes etc when nothing had started an hour later, people are bound to get annoyed.

I mean 20 minutes from arriving at bag carasoul, not getting off the plane.

I was on this flight, not the person sitting on the carousel. The airport personnel should've informed all the waiting travellers the situation. Maybe even provided us with complimentary bottles of water. 

My question is how can it take so long to transfer luggage from a plane to the carousel ? Had the luggage cart broken down ? Had the conveyor belt packed up ? 

I was on this flight, not the person sitting on the carousel. The airport personnel should've informed all the waiting travellers the situation. Maybe even provided us with complimentary bottles of water. 
My question is how can it take so long to transfer luggage from a plane to the carousel ? Had the luggage cart broken down ? Had the conveyor belt packed up ? 

Yip - this is the 1st impression everyone gets of Thailand - incompetence....... a good sign of things to come lol

21 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Yip - this is the 1st impression everyone gets of Thailand - incompetence....... a good sign of things to come lol

You, @Orton Rd & @mostcurious can all thank your lucky stars, then, that you weren't caught up in this bloody shambles at Gatwick last June - where incoming passengers were forced to wait FOUR hours for thsir luggage!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/9546191/gatwick-airport-delays-baggage-reclaim/

Would you also describe that particular debacle as giving a first impression of the UK to all and sundry as a hotbed of incompetence, by any chance?

I’ll bet the issue was with the reclaim belt itself. Normally for a widebody aircraft, bags are unloaded in 2 parts; a front “string” and a rear “string”. The cans in the front hold are loaded on one string of dollies attached to one tug, and the cans in the rear are loaded onto the other.

Which bags/flights, will use which reclaim belt is usually something that’s worked out and planned in advance; like gate assignments based on expected arrival time and the number of bags expected (ergo the amount of time the belt will be occupied)

I’ll bet there was a mechanical issue with that specific belt and either a) no other belt could be used without also requiring many other flights belt assignments to be moved as well... or... b) they (AoTs engineering staff) didn’t think the issue would take that long to resolve .... or lastly, c) there was simply no thought about the customer impact.

The AoT controls reclaim belt assignments- not the carriers.

1 hour ago, new2here said:

I’ll bet the issue was with the reclaim belt itself. Normally for a widebody aircraft, bags are unloaded in 2 parts; a front “string” and a rear “string”. The cans in the front hold are loaded on one string of dollies attached to one tug, and the cans in the rear are loaded onto the other.

Which bags/flights, will use which reclaim belt is usually something that’s worked out and planned in advance; like gate assignments based on expected arrival time and the number of bags expected (ergo the amount of time the belt will be occupied)

I’ll bet there was a mechanical issue with that specific belt and either a) no other belt could be used without also requiring many other flights belt assignments to be moved as well... or... b) they (AoTs engineering staff) didn’t think the issue would take that long to resolve .... or lastly, c) there was simply no thought about the customer impact.

The AoT controls reclaim belt assignments- not the carriers.

You may well be right since this appears to have been an incident which only affected one flight - in stark contrast to July's Gatwick shambles I've highlighted, which apparently affected 10 incoming flights and was caused by a baggage handling agent staff shortage (read into that what it might actually mean!).

On 10/12/2019 at 7:08 PM, mostcurious said:

We could have gone and fetched bags ourselves, they lied about the rain as it did not stop all the other belts spewing out luggage. At the end they said belt stuck in the middle, such liars half the time who knows.

You, [mention=276364]Orton Rd[/mention] & [mention=51063]mostcurious[/mention] can all thank your lucky stars, then, that you weren't caught up in this bloody shambles at Gatwick last June - where incoming passengers were forced to wait FOUR hours for thsir luggage!

Would you also describe that particular debacle as giving a first impression of the UK to all and sundry as a hotbed of incompetence, by any chance?

Your comparing apples with oranges.

Gatwick = 1 off / bkk = every single time

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

We could have gone and fetched bags ourselves, they lied about the rain as it did not stop all the other belts spewing out luggage. At the end they said belt stuck in the middle, such liars half the time who knows.

Since there's way, way more belts than the ones the passenger sees in the baggage claim hall involved in getting bags from plane to carousel, what's so unlikely about a belt "in the middle" failing? You said yourself that bags from other flights started turning up on your belt.

But of course that doesn't fit your narrative that it's Thailand and Suvarnabhumi is staffed with incompetent dullards who all hate us and lie to us all the time.

57 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Your comparing apples with oranges.

Gatwick = 1 off / bkk = every single time

Gatwick was a four hour baggage delivery issue but you already said you only had to wait at least 20 minutes at BKK for your baggage EVERY TIME you've arrived for years and years.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But of course that doesn't fit your narrative that it's Thailand and Suvarnabhumi is staffed with incompetent dullards who all hate us and lie to us all the time.

Unless you are in Alaska getting your backpack and rifle pulled out of the bottom of a Turbo Beaver by some long haired dude with a big knife on his belt, I daresay that baggage at an airport is usually unloaded with the help of machines.

Machines break. O well, its nothing personal. Go try getting out of LaGuardia Airport sometime. Sit down, chill, nothing you can do other than raise your blood pressure.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Since there's way, way more belts than the ones the passenger sees in the baggage claim hall involved in getting bags from plane to carousel, what's so unlikely about a belt "in the middle" failing? You said yourself that bags from other flights started turning up on your belt.

But that is the thing some people need to bring others down to feel better about themselves. Its just a special kind of people who need this. Usually those who are just ordinary or below average in their home country. (not always the case of course but often). Those who are happy with themselves don't have to bring down others to feel good. 

Perhaps it would be best to look at this through a statistical perspective. What we're the chances that the luggage from this particular flight would encounter such a long delay. A 5% chance perhaps. OK these things happens. Now let's say the same incident happens again with the exact same flight within the next few months, what would the chance of that be? A 0.1% chance? If that were to happen then something very funny is happening.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:10 PM, OJAS said:

You, @Orton Rd & @mostcurious can all thank your lucky stars, then, that you weren't caught up in this bloody shambles at Gatwick last June - where incoming passengers were forced to wait FOUR hours for thsir luggage!

Of course he wouldn't.  If Gatwick was in Thailand though Jai Lai would be saying there were four hour delays every single time.

Similarly I last visited the UK in the summer and we were stuck on the plane for an hour after arrival because the jet bridge broke down.  Eventually they rustled up some old school stairs for us to deplane (in the rain).  Just what we needed after a 15 hour journey with kids.  Did I run to UKvisa.com and bitch and whinge about how incompetent the country is?  No, it was a mechanical failure, they happen.

Archived