Can I be sure to get another 2 month visa when I make a visa run?

• I have spent 31 days in Thailand in June 2019, 1 day too much and I paid a penalty of 500 baht.
  • I arrived in Thailand again in late September 2019.
  • I went to the Immigration Office today, but they don't arrange multiple entry visas. They say you have to go to the Thai embassy in your own country for this.
  • So I extended my Thai visa with 1 extra month, so I can stay until late November 2019.

Can I be sure to get another 2 month visa when I make a visa run and quickly leave the country?

Or can I first extend my 2 month visa with another 1 month, then make a visa run and get another 2 month visa?

I am aware I can normally stay 180 days per year (365 days).

Security that I can get another 2 month visa after a visa run, is important to me, because I'm thinking about switching from my hotel to a 3-month apartment rental.

If the risk is too high, I'll probably stay in Airbnb's until late November or December and then come back to Thailand without having a rental contract already.

I would like to spend half a year in Thailand and if I still like it here then, I'd hope to be able to switch to a student (learn Thai) or muay thai visa to stay longer.

It seems you have been entering the country visa exempt and got 30 day entry not a visa.

To get a visa that would allow you to stay for 2 months you would have to apply for tourist visa at a embassy or consulate.

Or are you wanting to get a new 30 day visa exempt entry that you can extend for 30 days. You could get another one but perhaps best to do a border run to get it instead of flying out and back.

Yes, I got a 30 day entry, not a visa. This is correct.

I had to pay 1900 baht and they extended it to 60 days.

I would like to rent an apartment, but some apartment complexes require a 3 month contract. What is the risk that I would not be allowed back into the country after a border run? 

7 minutes ago, ujjain said:

What is the risk that I would not be allowed back into the country after a border run? 

About zero unless you have done 2 of them at a land border crossing this year.

Just avoid the Poi Pet crossing to Cambodia. They can be very difficult at times.

• Like 2

Your best option would be to choose either Savannakhet or Vientiane and apply for a Single Entry Tourist Visa, SETV. Then you will have 60 days with a possible extension of another 30 at immigration. When you enter with a real visa in your passport at thoose 2 land borders you will be very safe to come in as well as you will get another total of 90 days instead of a possible 60.

It is not too difficult to find short term solutions that would allow you to stay another three months. However, your plan of continuing to stay on tourist visas and/or Non Ed visas over an extended period may well not be viable.

Assuming you have only entered Thailand by land at most once this year, I would suggest you make an appointment with the Vientiane consulate, planning to apply there for a single entry tourist visa. In the event that you are denied the visa, you would still be allowed to enter visa exempt via the Friendship Bridge.

A higher chance of receiving the tourist visa, while still being able to enter Thailand by land (which I recommend) is

• Get an evisa online for Myanmar and fly to Yangon
  • Get the visa in Yangon
  • Take the overnight VIP bus from Yangon to Myawaddy
  • Cross into Thailand at Maesot.
  • Either fly to Bangkok from Maesot airport (close to the border) or travel onward by bus.

Nothing on this forum is a quarantee, and I doubt any poster will accompany you at immigration, nor speak on your behalf. That being said, the immigration officer has the final word. Obeyance of the law is voluntary. However, the consequences are mandatory.