Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October

webfact

On 10/9/2019 at 7:20 PM, Surasak said:

It possibly will happen. Its no if but when. Those of a certain age will be very unlikely to qualify for cover from an insurance company. So the question then will be, who will provide the cover? If not the insurance companies, will the government? Or will those unable to acquire cover be deported? I feel sure there are those who will be unable to afford the premiums and are trusting their family will help. Not such a good idea. The government should give very, very serious consideration to enforcing health insurance on long term expats.  

Would'nt it be possible for the government to offer a reasonable basic health insurance for those over a certain age , say 70. Because there are many in this group who have got Thai wives and families who they do not want to desert

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 8:03 PM, Call said:

That´s it, they win!

Me and my father 66 + 90 have to leave (as retired).  Myself have been here for 13 years, retired and investing heavily in Thai economy. Thanks for that!

Facing the facts, visiting Thailand as tourist will be the future opportunity.

The 2 x 800.000 Bath plus some insurance of over 200.000 Bath a year, gives a lot of dream travels possible. Maybe a settle down somewhere else, where they appreciate retired people, with money and efforts to take care themselves and some people around. ???? 

VIET NAM !

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, madmen said:

No need for insurance on retirement extension. This is not about extension. ignore the scare Mungers crystal ball gazing and endless what if scenario's.

What is the reason for having the money in the bank as required on application.

• Confused 1

What about the announcement only this week. It stated that over 50yrs on long stay visa's?

Sorry but, l can't remember where it came from other than it was from an official statement!!!

I believe it will come in across all visa's. It's perfect tea money for the owners of the insurance companies. So, brace yourselves!!!

On 10/10/2019 at 2:14 PM, JDGRUEN said:

The 2nd year of the O-A Visa works like a one year Extension of Stay (nearly identical) except there is no application to extend. An O-A Visa holder merely makes a border run a few days before the Expiry Date of the 1st. Year of the O-A Visa. Upon rentering Thailand, the O-A Visa Holder gets stamped back in 12 months in the future. Then visit the Immigration office to file a TM.30 / TM.28

This is my worry, my O-A expires in January, if i check out and back before then will i have to show insurance or does this only apply to  new O-A visas after October 29th., and that any visa and its terms before this date will be honoured ?

On 10/10/2019 at 2:50 PM, HHTel said:

What is difficult to understand is WHY are they targeting people applying for O-A visas?  By their own admission and published stats, the 300 million unpaid debts by foreigners are, in the majority, TOURISTS!

So because tourists have been identified as the main culprits of the 300 mill unpaid bills, generally law-abiding foreigners are being targeted.

??

Another point is who do they deem foreigners, what countries etc.

• Confused 1

On 10/11/2019 at 3:18 AM, Melbun said:

Mate what you are missing is brains and logic. The 800k is for guaranteed subsistence in Thailand. You must have it  to be able to renew your visa. If you get sick and need to spend it (and more), you won't qualify for renewal when the time comes.

Also some urgent and serious medical/surgical problems can set you back millions. You old hens need to get real or get out- simple! The key words are "compulsory insurance".

I hate cheeky kids !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Did'nt they nominate a few insurance companies which are acceptable ?

Yes they did. But these Insurance companies offer insurance but with restrictions. If you have previous conditions eg high blood pressure, high cholesterol, history of back pain, arthritis and any other medical complaints then these insurance  will not cover you for these ailments. They will still charge you high rates but you are not really really covered. 

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2019 at 2:12 PM, AussieBob18 said:

in Aus the Medicare system is free and the medical system here is first class. 

Same for France (medical system), recenty retired, I was considering spending half or more of the year in Thailand. Health insurance for OA, and probably soon for Non-O. I do not feel secure with these changing immigration rules and cannot plan anything stable in Thailand.

I will probably spend most of my time in Europe and only short periods in Thailand and elsewhere.

• Like 2

Well, i just got a new OA visa from the London Embassy (just a few days before the insurance was required for the application) and its dated 9th October. Does anyone know if I will be expected to have the health insurance when I go back to Thailand in November? Will immigration really start asking for and checking insurance documents?  Seems unfair if I have to have the insurance when it wasnt required when I applied.(in which case I wouldn't have applied for the visa).

Well, i just got a new OA visa from the London Embassy (just a few days before the insurance was required for the application) and its dated 9th October. Does anyone know if I will be expected to have the health insurance when I go back to Thailand in November? Will immigration really start asking for and checking insurance documents?  Seems unfair if I have to have the insurance when it wasnt required when I applied.(in which case I wouldn't have applied for the visa).

I purchased a non imm o-a multi entry visa a month or so ago from the LA Thai Consulate and will be arriving in Thailand on, by coincidence, October 31. I asked the consulate where I purchased the visa what to expect and they told me not to worry, and that this change only affects those who purchase the visa after October 30.

I guess I shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/11/2019 at 12:35 PM, mhortig said:

Prior to this announcement my very helpful Immigration officers said that if you have been here 5 years-no insurance needed. But if you do need insurance and cant qualify  just show 3 million in the bank. Go figure...

fascinating  to  see  stuff  like  this, thanks, before some <deleted> chips  in I DO realise this is  just one  office and  vague interpretation of how they see any rule change but seeing how the thought process works in them is fascinating.

11 hours ago, aixois said:

Same for France (medical system), recenty retired, I was considering spending half or more of the year in Thailand. Health insurance for OA, and probably soon for Non-O. I do not feel secure with these changing immigration rules and cannot plan anything stable in Thailand.

I will probably spend most of my time in Europe and only short periods in Thailand and elsewhere.

Free health care in Australia and France?  WOW !   I feel sorry for all those doctors and nurses and medical technicians working for no pay.   

As soon as a politician promises "free" health care... I know I'm being lied to. 

The world is full of suckers for a scam.... especially political scams and promises of amazing dreams come true "..for free..no cost"..

• Confused 4

36 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Free health care in Australia and France?  WOW !   I feel sorry for all those doctors and nurses and medical technicians working for no pay.   

As soon as a politician promises "free" health care... I know I'm being lied to. 

The world is full of suckers for a scam.... especially political scams and promises of amazing dreams come true "..for free..no cost"..

American?

• Haha 2

The short answer is no one knows for sure. Logically it should not apply and obviously having been issued earlier there will be no Embassy notation....but logic does not always hold sway here.

I suggest you watch this forum for firsthand reports from people entering on an O-A starting the 31st. Or see if you can enter sooner. That is what I personally would do. Come in one the 30th and be sure of 1 year permission of stay not tied to insurance requirement.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes they did. But these Insurance companies offer insurance but with restrictions. If you have previous conditions eg high blood pressure, high cholesterol, history of back pain, arthritis and any other medical complaints then these insurance  will not cover you for these ailments. They will still charge you high rates but you are not really really covered. 
You will however probably meet the Immigration insurance requirement. (Though still need a plan for how you'll pay any medical costs related to these conditions. ) I am assuming that these companies will issue the needed certificate to anyone they sell a policy to regardless of exclysions. Be sure to clarify that before buying!

The problem is if, as often happens, the companies all refuse to insure you at all. Or you happen to be aged 75 or over, same difference. The Police Order provides no contingency for this.

• Like 2

What about the announcement only this week. It stated that over 50yrs on long stay visa's? Sorry but, l can't remember where it came from other than it was from an official statement!!!

I believe it will come in across all visa's. It's perfect tea money for the owners of the insurance companies. So, brace yourselves!!!

That was a newspaper article quoting a non-immigration official. 

I would not put too much stock in same

Such articles are commonly filled with inaccuracies and mistranslations. Wait for an actual TI police order.

The one for the O-A visa was discussed for a long time before it finally came out. Thete was plenty of warning that it was afoot though not of course the details.

• Like 1