Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October

webfact

5 hours ago, friend of siam said:

its not apply to tourists

It was a general comment.  Tourists are turned off by the bad press that Thailand suffers from and this is just another example.  I do know that this health insurance doesn't apply to tourists.

Tourists do consider the many regulations which will often affect their decision to visit, even regulations that don't directly affect them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Carlosm said:

I have just got a multi entry from Savannahket based on marriage. Will i need insurance when i leave the country for my 90 days ?

No no when u apply for new visa  But dont quote Ubon Joe where are you can you explain this new rule?

12 hours ago, Tayaout said:

No. You got non-O. This is about Non-OA for retirement only available in your home country. However don't be surprised when they will require insurance for all long stay visa/extension. 

OMG - non O, AO, Extention this extention that etc. How confusing. Why can't they standardise. These Thai officials should have penis extentions and they would be much happier :)

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, HHTel said:

It was a general comment.  Tourists are turned off by the bad press that Thailand suffers from and this is just another example.  I do know that this health insurance doesn't apply to tourists.

Tourists do consider the many regulations which will often affect their decision to visit, even regulations that don't directly affect them.

Baloney mate. None of this affects tourists if they stay less than the normal 30days. Anyone with any brains will have adequate travel insurance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, just bob said:

<deleted>.  For 65 to 70 age group AXA is 86,700 annual.

So if you’re an American 65 - 70 for example, that’s getting damn close to an extra $4,000.00 out of your wallet a year. Some living in Thailand will just pack up and leave. 

But for the lucky ones with deeper pockets, what happens when you hit 71 ?

• Like 1

Just now, dcnx said:

Tick tock until everyone staying here long term will need this. They won’t just make one group get it, everyone will have to.

Quite rightly so. Only a fool would even contemplate living in Thailand without insurance. And the Thais have every right to insist on compulsory health/hospital coverage. Why should Thais be responsible to subsidize Falangs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Catoni said:

So if you’re an American 65 - 70 for example, that’s getting damn close to an extra $4,000.00 out of your wallet a year. Some living in Thailand will just pack up and leave. 

But for the lucky ones with deeper pockets, what happens when you hit 71 ?

That's  1 bargirl (LT) each week you can't have. OR 80 massages with HE hahhaha ????

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

I have being coming to Thailand for over 13 years, Married to a lovely Thai lady for over 10 years, we build a nice house a  there a few years ago, and own my wife's parents home after they passed away.

Never had to worry about visas as I never stay in thailand more than a month or so  at the time since I still work.Always came in on a Visa Exempt and did a border run , easy since we live in Khon Kaen and we like taking trips to Nong Khai. No need for travel insurance as my Blue Cross Blue shield insurance covers me in Thailand.But if I stop working it goes away.

I am now 62 and thinking about retiring to Thailand full time, or part time .

The more I read these threads (i read every reply) the more I get confused I get. And I don't seem to be the only one.

First . Is there a place where it explains all the different visas? I read the Thai Embassy website and it explains all the different Visas but does not use the acronyms you guys use .  

-There is a tourist visa good for 60 days (multiple entry or single entry), extendable to another 30 days via a border run.

-Non Immigrant visa 90 days extendable via visa run and other than the length of time it is also different from a tourist visa in that you can apply for a work permit, or open a bank account 

-One Year Non-Immigrant Visa, which is also good for 90 days but can do multiple visa runs up to a year

-Then according to the Embassy website there is a Marriage visa and a retirement visa, but you all say there is not such a thing and all it is  a Non immigrant visa that gets converted to a Marriage/retirement extension.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-visa-types.php

So far so good

What are all these O-As and other acronyms. So a search on "what is a  O-A brings up the Royal Thai Consulate which has a totally different explanation  

"Non-Immigrant Visa  “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in  Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.  "

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2912/35220-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Longstay).html

Then we get to the medical insurance requirement.   You Need it if if you get a O-A at your country but not if you get in  Thailand. More confusion there. How do I come to Thailand to get a O-A there?

So many questions but this is already getting too long.

Is there a source that explains all the above questions? Should I just come in on a visa exempt ot tourist visa and let a visa agent worry about all these?

Sorry about the acronyms. I guess we just mistakenly assume everyone here knows what they mean.

It’s quicker for us then typing out the whole words. But not everyone will know what we’re saying. 

My apologies. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition

10 minutes ago, Melbun said:

That's  1 bargirl (LT) each week you can't have. OR 80 massages with HE hahhaha ????

Not all of us are into that scene, as we’ve already heard in this thread from some who are married, or just in Thailand to live in a nice tropical country with their girlfriend, and/or maybe go to the beach and temples. 

What will THEY have to give up ? 

Edited by Catoni
Correction

8 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Who da funk is Ubon Joe ?.....Read the Police Order

It says it in plain English, Criteria for Extension of Stay

It also says on exactly the same page you keep quoting at point 6:

Only for an alien who has been granted Non-immigrant visa class O-A, must buy a Thai health insurance... etc

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Not all of us are into that scene, as we’ve already heard in this thread from some who are married, or just in Thailand to live in a nice tropical country with their girlfriend, and/or maybe go to the beach and temples. 

What will THEY have to give up ? 

Point taken :)  But a lot do partake and aren't married / with encumbrances - $4000 for the privilege of living in a foreign country (with little opportunity cost) is a great deal to part with. Decision time for many I guess.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, rexall said:

But you would never use 75K unless you had a string of really bad luck. 

Had a medical issue a few years ago which landed me in ICU for a week, after discharge my medications totaled 20k a month.... all covered by my insurance, so not at all hard to use up that 75k.

• Like 1

my friend has a insurance health policy it cost about 30k a year.all depends on what he wants on the policy.he can have what he wants  or needs.i think most people who live there have some kind of policy. another friend do it the other way. has moneyy in the bank enough to cover medical bills if needed,that also works.so i don,t know what works the best

13 hours ago, POMRAKSIAM said:

I just paid my premium for my new health insurance. Its Pacific Cross "long stay for retirement in Thailand" policy. Seriously no advertisement ....just happy to get that one out of the way. It is 40/400 and at 54 years old cost me $1000 USdollars????????(not sure any good ....555)

i had health insurance with them, got sick of them jacking the premiums up every year once i was hooked into them for a few years. good only know the premiums they would be asking me in 10 years time.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreigners applying for a Non O-A visa will be required to purchase health insurance from 31 October

Kiss the long stay holiday makers goodbye then... they will look for other places for their over-winter vacation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, just bob said:

This whole thing is a brown envelope pig slop fest between the government and the Thai General Insurance Association.  At my age, the 400,000 coverage amounts to about $13,100 US at 30.5 to the dollar.  For this I would pay a 59,000 baht premium (one of the least expensive I found).  That's almost $2000 a year.

I busted my ass and made my fortune and self insure.  I can afford it.  This is nothing more than another fee to live in the kingdom.  The coverage is absurdly inadequate and the premiums usurious.

It really beggars belief.

And I add that many USA expats will want to keep Medicare Supp B in case they move back to the USA.  Plus, not all long stay expats are really fully retiring and planning to expire in Thailand.  So now, many will be forced to consider carrying two medical insurance polices.  And if you look at that tgia website mentioned in the order, the Pacific plan only covered 442,000 baht.  Every knowledgeable insurance poster I read on ThaiVisa said 1 million baht is the absolute minimum for decent coverage.  So you get a junk plan, you may have a redundant plan.  What happens if somebody has good global coverage already?  Is that considered somehow?  Or must one go and buy only a plan on that website?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

This could turn out like the old “Chicken or Egg” story.

Early next year I am going to try this new scheme out.

1.  Purchase Thai Health Insurance and pay the full premium

2,  Apply for a Non Imm OA at a Thai Consulate

3.  Consulate then rejects my application(reason, they don’t have to give a reason).

4.  Then I wold be stuck with a useless Health Insurance policy.  Doubt a Thai Health Insurance company give me a refund?

”TIT’ A few more months and I will be on a Jet Plane,  

Right on and a very valid scenario.  Not to mention maybe somebody gets kicked out of Thailand after paying the full price of the insurance up front.  And, for people that are on fixed income and do not have cash laying around, having to pay up front for a year long insurance policy could be a burden.  I will never do this scheme.  I pay as I go, unless paying more up front really benefits me, maybe gets a discount, etc.  But this is just a horrible system and reeks of a money grab.  basically a person is paying up front for a service he most likely will not use.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Have read the police order several times and  my interpretation of it is as follows

1.  Applies to only the O-A Visa issued after 31 October 2019 and extensions of stay  that would come  on that particular Visa (After 1 year from date of issuance)

1.  Anyone who currently holds an O-A Visa or is extended under one has been grandfathered from this requirement. In addition, the O-A Visa  can still be issued  under the requirements of no insurance until 31 October 2019.  After that date- the new requirement applies.

The insurance requirement does NOT apply to anyone holding a regular Non- O (marriage, retirement, Ed Visa, Tourist (elite ) or Vis Exempt or extensions of these visa.

IMO most people want to purchase insurance but the problem is  large premiums for little coverage.  The coverages  presented under the long stay program provided by Thai insurance companies are completely inadequate and overpriced.

I

You dont extend a Visa, you extend a stay.

Once you are on an extension of stay the original visa you entered on has expired and is largely irrelevant.

I entered on an O-A visa and I am currently on a Marriage extension, which is nothing to do with original Visa.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You dont extend a Visa, you extend a stay.

Once you are on an extension of stay the original visa you entered on has expired and is largely irrelevant.

I entered on an O-A visa and I am currently on a Marriage extension, which is nothing to do with original Visa.

Yes- you do not extend the Visa but extend a stay.  My point being that anyone who  has an O-A Visa prior to 31 October 2019 or  needs an extension of stay will not have the unsrance requirement.  I would assume the IO will  go back and look at the date of issuance of the original visa.