Jump to content

Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October


webfact

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, justin case said:

 how long before people start to have a brain

 

come in as a tourist

 

on your last day, visit an embassy nearby and apply for a non-o retirement...

 

case closed, insurance not needed (yet)

Just-in case someone from immigration dep is reading your comment, better delete it before they close this loophole...

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On appalation you have to show insurance policy with the required cover . i cant see this going ahead as many people are uninsurable . i can see lots of new companies shooting up to make a fast buck . The ones that don't pay out when needed  

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just silly. If you're an older person who's already got an ongoing health issue (or two!) that you're paying to have treated at a private hospital (say diabetes, chronic hypertension or minor skin cancers like BCC's) then the mandatory insurance won't cover them so you'll still have to pay whatever you're paying now, but then also an extra 50K Baht++ on top for the insurance that you don't want and that may well be of no use to you.

 

I don't actually know anyone who's here on an OA visa, so I don't suppose this will exactly cause an exodus. Myself and all my mates are on Non-O's with annual retirement extensions, but if they ever extended this scam to incude us then I suspect quite a few might head for the exit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

This is just silly. If you're an older person who's already got an ongoing health issue (or two!) that you're paying to have treated at a private hospital (say diabetes, chronic hypertension or minor skin cancers like BCC's) then the mandatory insurance won't cover them so you'll still have to pay whatever you're paying now, but then also an extra 50K Baht++ on top for the insurance that you don't want and that may well be of no use to you.

 

I don't actually know anyone who's here on an OA visa, so I don't suppose this will exactly cause an exodus. Myself and all my mates are on Non-O's with annual retirement extensions, but if they ever extended this scam to incude us then I suspect quite a few might head for the exit.

The reason is not needed i think is the fact of the income or the 800.000 in the bank covers 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Just-in case someone from immigration dep is reading your comment, better delete it before they close this loophole...

you cannot get a retirement visa from a tourist visa has to from a non o

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

Yet. And this was the number 1 reason we left Thailand. 20 days notice.... How can you really live your life and plan a future not knowing what crazy idea then law immigration will in pose next. 

 

I new it. 

Having health insurance is a "crazy idea"?🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

so, as my 1 mln dollar plus insurer is not on the list,
do I have to buy another insurance for visa application purposes ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, TDCNINJA said:

Who wants to bet how long before this applies to all Non-Immigrants visas?

If someone see this scheme will make a lot of money, it won't be long!

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, barryofthailand said:

If you live overseas you need health insurance. Hospital care is not cheap in Thailand 

Not cheap compared to what?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Having health insurance is a "crazy idea"?🤔

Remember, nothing in Thailand is logical.

 

Insurance only makes sense in that it pays our correctly when you need it.

 

As others have stated before, there are many things insurance doesn't cover.

 

Now what exactly are you paying for?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, POMRAKSIAM said:

I just paid my premium for my new health insurance. Its Pacific Cross "long stay for retirement in Thailand" policy. Seriously no advertisement ....just happy to get that one out of the way. It is 40/400 and at 54 years old cost me $1000 USdollars😉😁(not sure any good ....555)

Thats why I will wait till its compulsary.. As you said basically it may not be worth the paper its written on.. Psy as you go for me till then... Hope its good for you 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do EU allow long stay foreigners without a mandatory health insurance?  No. Even for a non EU visitors, need travel insurance.

 

So why TH should not implement? Comments in the thread are similar to suggesting that a govt should have first taken their permission. 

 

This discussion is around a year old so there was enough time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, it’s sounds logical to make health insurance mandatory for tourists.  The number of tourists that behave stupidly while on holidays is amazing. Plus, those who end up in hospital ( or the morgue ) having taken vans and kamikaze drivers , day trips on sinking boats, fallen off balconies, would no longer be a burden on the private hospitals account books. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, kellyjik39 said:

I dont see mention of people over 75 who cant buy insurance.

What am I missing?


Interesting point.
Some European Countries do have compulsory health insurance,
The Insurance company can charge a premium the maximum thereof set by regulations,  
AND cannot refuse any legally residing person to be insured.

If that were the case here, I'd gladly move over to a local insurer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

get a policy with 400k inpatient excess threshold and 40k outpatient excess threshold (effectively no cover) and the insurance should cost nothing more than an admin fee

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my 1 million thb 20 yr Elite Visa today... @ 50 k / yr, not looking so silly now compared to what OA holders will have to pay with these new reqs.

Bhahaaaaa

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Is this for people over 50 only? Im under 50 and on a non o marriage. 

Yes... you can only get an NON OA when over 50.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

reading the Overseas Health Insurance Certificate as posted on long stay.tgia.org

""

  1. Outpatient Benefit  with a sum insured of not less than

  2. Inpatient Benefit  with a sum insured of not less than
    ""

    Somehow it seems to me that the text copied from the regulations into the certificate will not please the insurance companies ..... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KKr said:


Interesting point.
Some European Countries do have compulsory health insurance,
The Insurance company can charge a premium the maximum thereof set by regulations,  
AND cannot refuse any legally residing person to be insured.

If that were the case here, I'd gladly move over to a local insurer.

I wonder though if, as a holder of a Non Immigrant O (or OA) you would be classed as a resident?

If not, then you wouldn't be "legally residing"...or would you?

Has anyone stated whether a non-immigrant is regarded as resident or long term visitor?

I don't know but I wonder if anyone else does.

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

On appalation you have to show insurance policy with the required cover . i cant see this going ahead as many people are uninsurable . i can see lots of new companies shooting up to make a fast buck . The ones that don't pay out when needed  

Well, here's a great opportunity for the Khao San Road entrepreneurs.

 

There must now be a market for fake insurance policy documents!

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, VBF said:

I wonder though if, as a holder of a Non Immigrant O (or OA) you would be classed as a resident?

If not, then you wouldn't be "legally residing"...or would you?

Has anyone stated whether a non-immigrant is regarded as resident or long term visitor?

I don't know but I wonder if anyone else does.

Good point, if I can find the pertinent regulation as in Europe, will revert.
Here, someone on extension is for sure not a resident,
but can be a long term legally residing person. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, car720 said:

Insurance companies are the second biggest crooks in the world and they are owned by the biggest crooks in the world..........banks.

Have you been talking to my father in law?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

No. You got non-O. This is about Non-OA for retirement only available in your home country. However don't be surprised when they will require insurance for all long stay visa/extension. 

A non o visa is not long stay. You have to leave Thailand within 90 days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, lupin said:

Just got my 1 million thb 20 yr Elite Visa today... @ 50 k / yr, not looking so silly now compared to what OA holders will have to pay with these new reqs.

Bhahaaaaa

One question.. will you not have any insurance while living in Thailand? Or have insurance from your home country?

The older we get, the more likely we will need medical services at one point 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crash999 said:

For us younger guys what’s the difference between retirement and O-A?

You younger guys CANNOT get a retirement visa, unless you are over 50. Therefore, coming in on a regular tourist visa, you will need to have the required coverage. Makes sense really, as us old retired guys have already been made to prove that we have the funds available to take care of any accidents or whatever 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, KKr said:

Good point, if I can find the pertinent regulation as in Europe, will revert.
Here, someone on extension is for sure not a resident,
but can be a long term legally residing person. 

"not a resident, but can be a long term legally residing person. "

I think my brain just exploded! 😡

 

So a resident may/might be defined as "a person who lives somewhere permanently or on a long-term basis."    https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/resident

How would one define (differently) "A legally residing person."????

 

OK...I am playing Devil's advocate, but can anyone see the Thai Government making that distinction when we native English speakers have trouble with it?

I'm not being intentionally awkward (honestly!) I just don't know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TDCNINJA said:

Who wants to bet how long before this applies to all Non-Immigrants visas?

Yep, I'm thinking the same and as I'm over 75....I had hoped that this Non OA situation wouldn't happen but now the order is there in B & W. It doesn't affect me at this time as I don't have Non OA but I feel that this is just the beginning and will affect all non imm. visas in the end. I wrote on another (unrelated thread)

'(And before someone says to me 'well if you feel so bad...' or 'if you don't like it blah blah blah', I have this to say. I have lived here for nearly a quarter of a century and I love Thailand, have many friends and associates here (I'm even on good terms with my ex, Ha!). like many other expats, I have invested much (not talking about money) but events in the last 3 or 4 years have now caused me to consider a 'back up plan' which 10 years ago I thought would never happen. I sincerely hope it doesn't come to fruition but I'm no longer sure.)'

This new order for Non OA has made me think of putting my 'back up plan' into phase 2 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...