Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October

webfact

14 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

A non o visa is not long stay. You have to leave Thailand within 90 days.

Wrong!  I'm holding a non Imm O visa based on retirement  with one year of validity, and I do not need to leave the country within 90 days.

Edited by roadrunner32
  • Confused 4
  • Thanks 1

I have a OA visa which is due in the next 3 week, I do not have health insurance cover. Does this mean if I go to Immigration prior to 31 October and have my visa extended for another 12 months it will be okay as that will give me 12 months to sort out Health cover for the future.

• Like 1

Well i checked around and found cost excessive at 65! 7k to 22k USD/year.

To that end i cannot afford the cost! Anyway just have to plan and leave my Thai wife.

I'm convinced the "Thai Government" will take good care of her like i have been doing for the past 11 years!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

57 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

The reason is not needed i think is the fact of the income or the 800.000 in the bank covers 

Yea a lot of good that does, if one uses any of the 800K or 400K that one has to have in the bank than one can't get an  Extension . It would be alright if one was aloud to use that money for an emergency as long as one would be able to top that up before the next extension. Some really crazy stuff happening. 

I'm one of the unlucky ones.  Been here on a Non O-A for several years.  Others I know have changed to a Non O.
If I understand this, the options are:
1.  Pay the insurance. 
2. Leave to a neighboring country, obtain a Non O visa based on retirement or get in Thailand ?

3. Leave Thailand.

I have BCBS insurance that reimburses me for overseas care.  I pay upfront.
This Thai policy is not really something I want to pay for.  

It's taken me a year to accept putting money in a Thai bank (which I haven't done yet as my extension is in January) and then this.  

Nice short notice.   555 

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

Well i checked around and found cost excessive at 65! 7k to 22k USD/year.

To that end i cannot afford the cost! Anyway just have to plan and leave my Thai wife.

I'm convinced the "Thai Government" will take good care of her like i have been doing for the past 11 years!

So dump your wife over an insurance policy? its true Thailand does attract the lowest of the low.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It was announced previously that for Expats who cannot qualify for Insurance (too old or pre-existing conditions... Then these people would be required to have Extra money in a Thai Bank Account. How much?  No announcement yet 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, RBOP said:

I'm really thinking of selling out. Mexico sounds nice. Looks like very friendly visas too. How Mexico for retitement?

American??  If you are, then look at the countries from Sth Mexico down to Ecuador.  Lots of Americans have been retireing down that way for the last 15-20 years.  Like Spain and Italy for the Poms - full of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Barry343 said:

I have a OA visa which is due in the next 3 week, I do not have health insurance cover. Does this mean if I go to Immigration prior to 31 October and have my visa extended for another 12 months it will be okay as that will give me 12 months to sort out Health cover for the future.

Probably. And it does not apply to extensions in country - at this stage. 

36 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

One question.. will you not have any insurance while living in Thailand? Or have insurance from your home country?

The older we get, the more likely we will need medical services at one point 

I've got better coverage from home country.... but I agree all should have health insurance when getting older. I just dont agree with a policy that forces sub standard coverage from a tiny pool of providers on those that want to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really wish people would follow the links in the articles posted. The cost of the insurance to meet the requirements is about 20,000 baht a year. Less than 400 baht a week. For someone contemplating spending 12 months in Thailand it is the proverbial drop in the ocean. That is with major insurers like AXA and Pacific Cross.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Surasak said:

It possibly will happen. Its no if but when. Those of a certain age will be very unlikely to qualify for cover from an insurance company. So the question then will be, who will provide the cover? If not the insurance companies, will the government? Or will those unable to acquire cover be deported? I feel sure there are those who will be unable to afford the premiums and are trusting their family will help. Not such a good idea. The government should give very, very serious consideration to enforcing health insurance on long term expats.  

They don't want that. Other, more welcoming countries in the region will profit.

Thailand only wants tourists who stay two weeks at the most, but doesn't want to become a retirement or expat destination. Good for them, as long as world tourism- and economic trends are on their side.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

I'm still confused...

I entered Thailand on a Non O-A Long-stay Visa 20 years ago and have been living here ever since. I get an Extension of Stay every year, and use the Retirement criteria, but could use the Marriage (Thai Wife) criteria.

If anyone can answer these questions about the necessity to have health insurance with any level of certainty, I would appreciate it:

1. Does this new law apply to someone (like me) already in Thailand and just applying for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement criteria?

2. Does this new law apply to someone (like me) already in Thailand and just applying for an Extension of Stay based on Marriage (Thai Wife) criteria?

3. I am 73 so cannot buy health insurance. Could I post a THB440K bond (THB400K for inpatient plus THB40K for outpatient) with the government or a health insurance company to satisfy the insurance requirements?

Thanks...

Edited by billsmart

This follows reports last week, that the Government has now introduced DUAL PRICING in ALL PUBLIC Hospitals.

The Government ORDER, reportedly instructed All Government Hospitals to basically charge DOUBLE for services to the Ferang/ALIENS.

Just wondering if THAIVISA has any further info ?

• Like 1