1 day overstay

Just booked a flight from the Netherlands to Thailand and made the payment.

Now I realize I made a miscalculation that results in 1 day overstay, 31 days instead of 30 days. I cannot change the dates without making €150 costs.

How to prevent problems, report at arrival that I am going to have a 1 day overstay, or just pay the fee at departure?

Edited by Lunghans

You will probably be sent to the overstay desk when the IO at passport control sees your overstay, but that’s nothing to worry about. They will probably record the overstay in your passport with a stamp confirming the overstay was less than 24 hours.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, marin said:

What are you talking about? He has a flight out and is one day late.  

Thailand has set certain conditions to be eligible for a visa exempt.

One of these conditions is that you need a booked ticket out of Thailand within 30 days if you arrive by plane.

Usually this is not checked by the IO, so you usually won't have a problem at immigration if you don't have this.

But this rule is also programmed into the tools the airline check in staff uses, for example: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

When you check in the airline staff at the airport will put your data into such a system. If they enter a proposed stay of 31 days the system will tell them that the traveller needs a visa. They will check the passport for a visa, which they won't find. Then they will inform the traveller that they can't let him board, because their system says he is not eligible to enter Thailand.

Edited by jackdd

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Thailand has set certain conditions to be eligible for a visa exempt.

One of these conditions is that you need a booked ticket out of Thailand within 30 days if you arrive by plane.

Usually this is not checked by the IO, so you usually won't have a problem at immigration if you don't have this.

But this rule is also programmed into the tools the airline check in staff uses, for example: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

When you check in the airline staff at the airport will put your data into such a system. If you enter a proposed stay of 31 days the system will tell them that the traveller needs a visa. They will check the passport for a visa, which they won't find. Then they will inform the traveller that they can't let him board, because their system says he is not eligible to enter Thailand.

thanks for the info....but it NOT really concern me....the poster should have made sure that HE/SHE would be in the clear to travel.....

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When you check in the airline staff at the airport will put your data into such a system. If they enter a proposed stay of 31 days the system will tell them that the traveller needs a visa.

It is not a automated check. It is up to the person checking you in to verify you have a visa or a flight out of the country within 30 days. They would certainly not make a problem for one day more than 30 days.

• Like 1

When I first came back after retiring to see if my feelings about Thailand were the same I made the same boo-boo and had a one day overstay (not a full day, just 14 hours.)

Went early to the airport, the check in said I had to go to the immigration desk. It was about 2 in the morning so found the desk there was only one officer present and she was a stunner, miles out of my league! Gave her my passport and asked if she was the only one on duty, in departures yes she was and was bored to tears as I was her first customer in three hours, poor girl. She then said "I'm not going fill out all this paperwork, here this will cover it" and handed my passport back with a one week extension, I put the 500 Baht back in my pocket, checked in and went to the bar.

You can get lucky sometimes.

• Like 2

A couple of years ago i read in the thai visa info section you were allowed 1 day overstay. My visa run out at midnight sunday and i tried to croos the friendship bridge at nong khai at 7am . 7 hours overstay . was taken to the police station ( not immigration) and was locked in a room with 5 other farangs who also thought was allowed 1 day . Was kept a few hours , given a telling off , 500baht fine and sent on our way but to late for visa that day so an extra night in laos which was a pain for a few guys as they had booked flights back.
 When i asked immigration why not allowed the one day he said " only at airports because sometimes people check in for their flight on the day their visa runs out but fly after midnight so they were allowed 1 day to avoid confusion "
Thats what he said to me 

Just to clarify, at Suvarnabhumi airport my mate checked in for a 1.30 am flight, went through Immigration before midnight & was charged for a one day overstay as grumpy said,

" the scheduled departure time is after midnight," admittedly this was a few years ago

The check-in staff could be awkward, I had a smug smile from them at Glasgow when they saw my return date was 31 days after my departure, flying KLM/China Airways a few years ago.

Humble pie was then eaten by the same, when I pointed out to them that I was actually going to arrive "tomorrow" and that would be exactly 30 days in Thailand.