บัว

And

เชิง

Mean?

Hopefully someone knows the word for wood rot.....if not perhaps

SIA. (สีย?)

is ok?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I can give you a few things which will allow you to get the expressions from a ช่างไม้ . 

บัว appears to mean additional parts on top and bottom of pillars บัวเสา and เชิง is the base of something, normally supporting which a skirting board appears to be. 
เสีย works but เน่า is rotten เน่าเบื่อย is deteriorated. Perhaps adding เพราะนำ้ would help. ผุพัง means about the same. ปลวก is termite. I asked a chap in a museum why he was running hoses under the floor and his answer was one word ;  ปลวก 

Pointing at the skirting board and saying that one word says it all. 
ผนังห้อง I would say is brick or cement, ฝา for wooden walls. 

Don’t forget to come back and let us know the answers. 

10 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Get Google translate app. And for things like skirting boards use pictures off the internet and use your camera phone.

What do you get if you do that?  

Cornice for example is ไม้บัวบน . 

I wonder why ไม้ is not mentioned in เชิงบัวผนัง I think that if you want to say เน่าเบื่อว or ผุพัง, I am not sure which is more appropriate, you would be better off adding ไม้ which ever part of the house it is. Where to put ไม้, before or after skirting board? 

บัวพื้น is another suggestion but wherever you live in Thailand the best words are the words of the ช่าง with whom you are dealing. 

Apologies if cheeryble is not learning Thai! 

ตนนั้นแลเป็นที่พึ่งแห่งตน 

Thanks to all for great replies.

Interestingly as soon as the wife saw BUA CHERNG She recognized it and said no it’s CHERNG BUA And as sunny boy suggested she looked it up on the Zada on Lazada or somewhere and. Indeed it was the way around but she said

Sorry about the voice typing mistakes it’s not my fault it’s the system!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

บัวเชิงผนัง bua on which stands the wall. 

เชิงบัวผนัง support (for) bua (of the) wall. 

I googled the first one and got advertisements with pictures for skirting boards. 

The good thing about Thai is that the correct words in proximity is good enough, although some would argue otherwise. 

English is similar with compound nouns; Green new deal, New green deal. Green and new are equal just modifying the deal. Thai is backwards so Deal new green แผนใหม่สีเขียว  แผนสีเขียวใหม่ 

On 10/11/2019 at 10:29 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Ignore the reference above. When using google to search you get mostly advertisements. Looking at all the sites you will see that the word is บัว, the next word describes its use. 
The second site on that search has a discussion on the desirability of บัวพื้น skirting board, none of this disqualifies other descriptions of skirting boards. 

I have seen บัวปู่พื้น... บนพื้น ...บังพื้น ปูพื้น etc. The only way to know what is meant is by seeing pictures or being with the person saying it.  

7 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Thanks to all for great replies.

Interestingly as soon as the wife saw BUA CHERNG She recognized it and said no it’s CHERNG BUA And as sunny boy suggested she looked it up on the Zada on Lazada or somewhere and. Indeed it was the way around but she said

Sorry about the voice typing mistakes it’s not my fault it’s the system!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Homepro's Thai website calls them BUA CHUHNG PANANG บัวเชิงผนัง (or CHERNG depending on how you transliterate it).
http://www.homeplus.co.th/15329086/บัวเชิงผนังพีวีซี

Here's a Thai webpage explaining how to install a skirting board. Again they call them BUA CHUHNG PANANG บัวเชิงผนัง and not CHUHNG BUA PANANG เชิงบัวผนัง.
http://www.foremanblog.com/install-skirting-board-technique/

CHUHNG BUA PANANG "เชิงบัวผนัง" gives 150 hits on Google while BUA CHUHNG PANANG บัวเชิงผนัง gives 71,000.

Homepro's Thai website calls them BUA CHUHNG PANANG บัวเชิงผนัง (or CHERNG depending on how you transliterate it).
http://www.homeplus.co.th/15329086/บัวเชิงผนังพีวีซี

Here's a Thai webpage explaining how to install a skirting board. Again they call them BUA CHUHNG PANANG บัวเชิงผนัง and not CHUHNG BUA PANANG เชิงบัวผนัง.
http://www.foremanblog.com/install-skirting-board-technique/

CHUHNG BUA PANANG "เชิงบัวผนัง" gives 150 hits on Google while BUA CHUHNG PANANG บัวเชิงผนัง gives 71,000.

Who’s going to tell my wife she is wrong? :-)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There is no such thing as wrong if the message is understood by the person receiving it, at least all the words were there just not in the accepted order. Did you hear what Ernie Wise replied when Andre Previn told him that he was playing the wrong notes on the piano? He said “ Wrong, I am playing the right notes but just not in the right order.!” 

Archived