Busted: Brothel was being run "blatantly" at Chiang Rai hotel

webfact

Busted: Brothel was being run "blatantly" at Chiang Rai hotel

10pm1.jpg

Thai caption: Brothel raided

Naew Na reported that an undercover officer mounted a sting operation at a hotel near the old airport in Chiang Rai province in northern Thailand. 

Reports had been received by the police and Norasingh special services that a brothel was being run at the hotel. 

When the undercover officer - armed with 1,800 baht - reported to those waiting outside the raid began. 

Two mamasans were arrested. Five sex workers - four aged 20 and one 18 - were discovered. 

10pm2.jpg
Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na said that the mamasans were blatantly operating in the hotel arranging for men who visited to engage in sex with the women. 

Eight rooms had been rented since July at a cost of 6,900 baht a month for the purpose of running a brothel. 

Eight phones, a packet of condoms and some playing cards were taken into evidence. 

Naew Na reported that an undercover officer mounted a sting operation at a hotel near the old airport in Chiang Rai province in northern Thailand. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-16

I wonder how many folks realize that for decades (not sure if it it still continues so much today) you could go to thousands of hotels upcountry and sitting in a darker area in the lobby or in the back of the coffee shop, there would always be a few girls (and often enough boys), over and under 18.

All known to the hotel owner and the reception staff. In some cases the check-in staff would ask the guest if he/she wanted a  companion, pointing to the waiting companions and then leave the guest to approach, or reception staff just leave it to the guest to approach them direct.

All of this would obviously be known to the police who just ignored it and saw it is 'normal / part of life'.

And not only in Thailand, years back also in Taiwan and China. 

Thirty five years back I went to Taipei, I had a booking at an expensive hotel through a travel agent (all done by mail, before the internet). I check-in and went to my room, after 3 or 4 minutes the phone rang and the receptionist said 'I'll send a girl to your room now'. None of this had been mentioned in the booking process and not mentioned during check-in. I responded no! no! and hung up, phone rang again same words 'I'll send a girl to your room now'. I hung up closed / locked the door and went down to the reception desk, all the reception staff tried to tell me all hotels automatically supply girls and they were clearly shocked that I was saying no and tried further with 'what time tomorrow do you want a girl?' etc.

Next day I went to a meeting with a business client. I mentioned this to the business man I was meeting, he laughed and explained that 99% of visiting Asian business men expected all hotels to supply girls. He got his staff to move me to another hotel and it was agreed that the next hotel would not try (without my request) to send girls to my room.

But when I checked-in I was asked 'are you sure you don't want a girl'? I responded with no!, no!, no! 

Scorecard's story reminds me of trip in Korea, staying at cheap hotel up in mountains. Girl comes to my room "You want short time?".. "No, I don't"... "Oh good! all night!". Have to admire her sense of optimism.

55 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Wow a packet of condoms was taken as evidence... Absolute BS, they are only evidence after they have been used.????️‍♀️????

You would think, but as far as the RTP goes, condoms in any shape and form near a mattress are considered primary evidence whenever prostitution is suspected. A few years back, a lot of tourist hotels would provide a 2-pack of condoms along with the regular 3-in-1 coffee, teabags and snacks. When this cops started using this criteria in their prosecutions, condoms became a BYO deal again. Probably the same reason the legendary TQ gogo on Beach stopped charging 1000 baht for condoms that were mandatory with each free barfine.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I wonder how many folks realize that for decades (not sure if it it still continues so much today) you could go to thousands of hotels upcountry and sitting in a darker area in the lobby or in the back of the coffee shop, there would always be a few girls

I know several very expensive hotels (<deleted> etc) on Sukhumvit road with girls in the lobby or at the bar. I do not believe that hotel management is involved. But I am sure the staff knows exactly what is happening.

1 hour ago, dimitriv said:

I know several very expensive hotels (<deleted> etc) on Sukhumvit road with girls in the lobby or at the bar. I do not believe that hotel management is involved. But I am sure the staff knows exactly what is happening.

Correct.

One of those hotels opened a new bar a couple of years ago. In the old bar were lots of working girls. They didn't want that anymore and they hired one of those guys who managed successful bars in Singapore and other places. The new hotel bar was beautifully designed, very nice, and no working girls. And it was no success! It didn't take too long before the bar manager was replaced and then the working girls returned again. TiT

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I wonder how many folks realize that for decades (not sure if it it still continues so much today) you could go to thousands of hotels upcountry and sitting in a darker area in the lobby or in the back of the coffee shop, there would always be a few girls (and often enough boys), over and under 18.

All known to the hotel owner and the reception staff. In some cases the check-in staff would ask the guest if he/she wanted a  companion, pointing to the waiting companions and then leave the guest to approach, or reception staff just leave it to the guest to approach them direct.

All of this would obviously be known to the police who just ignored it and saw it is 'normal / part of life'.

And not only in Thailand, years back also in Taiwan and China. 

Thirty five years back I went to Taipei, I had a booking at an expensive hotel through a travel agent (all done by mail, before the internet). I check-in and went to my room, after 3 or 4 minutes the phone rang and the receptionist said 'I'll send a girl to your room now'. None of this had been mentioned in the booking process and not mentioned during check-in. I responded no! no! and hung up, phone rang again same words 'I'll send a girl to your room now'. I hung up closed / locked the door and went down to the reception desk, all the reception staff tried to tell me all hotels automatically supply girls and they were clearly shocked that I was saying no and tried further with 'what time tomorrow do you want a girl?' etc.

Next day I went to a meeting with a business client. I mentioned this to the business man I was meeting, he laughed and explained that 99% of visiting Asian business men expected all hotels to supply girls. He got his staff to move me to another hotel and it was agreed that the next hotel would not try (without my request) to send girls to my room.

But when I checked-in I was asked 'are you sure you don't want a girl'? I responded with no!, no!, no! 

Spent years travelling in China and indeed that is the norm and that story is very familiar to me and then some.  One of the challenges in rural China is finding a hotel that takes foreigners, I have been turned down many times for not being Chinese.  Once you do though they inevitably assume that you want to enjoy some company.  However it is not so much about them not taking no for an answer as much as they don't understand the language sufficiently well.  You would think that no was easy enough to understand but that is not the case in China.  You have to remember that "businessmen" staying in China rarely say no to such offers.  Only once though was I offered a boy instead.  Obviously an over enthusiastic desk clerk that time! 

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

So, you haven't really assimilated to Asian culture? ????

Yes, actually I have, I would have stayed at the first hotel in Taipei and just kept saying No!, but the guy I was there to do business with was quite serious to try to make me happy and he had lived abroad for many years and was aware that girls provided automatically at hotels was not the norm in many other countries. 

Seeing girls and boys in the dark area of the hotel lobby here in Thailand didn't shock me at all.

When I first ever came to Thailand I was quite naive but I had heard many stories and I was invited by a rich Thai Chinese business man to join his birthday party in Bkk along with 7 of his male friends. His driver picked me and a few others up and we drove into the compound of a very large girlie massage parlour.

The very nice massive dinner and drinks was served in a beautiful private room with scantily dressed waitresses, when finished the host disappeared for 10 minutes.

He returned with a mamasan and a line of girls in tiny bikinis, and he then proceeded to pair all of us off with a girl, and give each guest an envelope with several thousand baht for the tip to the girl, and the mamasan then told each girl what room number to go to for 1 hour.

One of the other guests whispered to me 'don't refuse, just go the room and sit it out for an hour then come back to the main lobby, but give the girl the tip'.  

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Wow a packet of condoms was taken as evidence... Absolute BS, they are only evidence after they have been used.????️‍♀️????

Start taking condoms as evidence and people will stop using them. Which world do they want to live in?

I lived in a hotel in Taipei on a project for six months, very handy for the office, condoms supplied free in the bedside cabinet, girls all over the lobby, never bothered me once I made it clear I was not a buyer, always pleasant.

Many guests short timing but apart from occasional noise, no problem.

This was just normal practice, why Thailand with its reputation expresses this outrage I don’t know. Maybe brown envelopes not full enough.

Archived