Central Dept Store

guru

Went in to the Chitlom branch on a briefcase mission and the large samsonite laptop briefcase in the black label range was 25,000 bt!

I thought it was a bit pricey so I went home to check and lo and behold on samsoniteblacklabel.com it's $219.99 which at todays rate is 7,068 Bt.

It's not even close. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Add transportation costs and customs duty and you will be closer.

Price is most often affected by competition and perhaps Central has an exclusive with Samsonite.

I bought a Italian Coffee Maker in Italy and rested comfortably with the price until I found it much cheaper in Los Angeles.

Italian Shops give five weeks of vacation, pay higher rents than LA and have larger profit margins.

LA is one of the most competitive marketplaces in the world and a good place to find the price of any product as a benchmark. Add shipping and customs and you will approach a legitimate price.

Caveat emptor.

Went in to the Chitlom branch on a briefcase mission and the large samsonite laptop briefcase in the black label range was 25,000 bt!

go to panthip plaza and look at the samsonite lookalikes in the bagshops on the ground floor , 800b -2000b

Anything made out of leather that could even slightly be construed as competing with local merchandise will have huge duties on it- add to that list any luxury, any machine, any medicine, anything made with alcohol (especially wine), and anything electronic- most of my smarter, richer friends do their high-end shopping on trips abroad to Malaysia and Hong Kong.