Granny, 83, run over and killed by reversing school van

webfact

Granny, 83, run over and killed by reversing school van

3pm_VI.jpg
Thai caption: Granny run over

Horrific CCTV footage from western Bangkok showed the moment that an elderly grandmother as crushed under the back wheel of a reversing school van. 

Somrit, 83, was pronounced dead at the scene. 

The driver of the van - Nathaphon, 53 - said he had just delivered some students and didn't realise he had gone over someone after reversing about 20 meters. 

He said to an assistant teacher on the van that he thought a student's bag had fallen down, Sanook reported. He was alerted to what had happened when a person ran out to tell him. 

Relatives of the woman said that she lived locally and would always be walking in the soi as a matter of routine. 

The body was taken to Sirirat Hospital. 

The accident happened in Soi Ekachai 69/2 in the Bang Bon district of the capital. 

Bang Khun Thian police are investigating. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-25
  • Sad 3

24 minutes ago, 30la said:

... and another criminal who doesn't even think about looking before leaving!

R.I.P. Grandma!

Criminal??? How do you know he's a criminal? Did him steal something that you call him that?

It may also be that it was the grandmother's fault, because she does not look!!! I see it every day that people do not give a damn if they see a car drive back and get in the way.

In most countries, this is the fault of pedestrians, who go stupidly and without looking in the direction of a moving vehicle.

Tragic consequences yet again when two people not paying full attention come together. 

How many incidents do we see in Thailand that could have been avoided had just one of the two involved in the incident been paying attention?

It happens so regularly in a shopping mall car park (I don't always reverse park) - I am reversing out of the parking space and a family will walk past the back of the car completely unaware that I've started moving out, unaware that the reversing lights are on etc...  

A lot of people here do tend to walk around in their own bubble, as we see, with tragic consequences. 

But, how did the reversing driver not see the old lady walking in the road? - was he just not paying attention? I'm guessing he was just using his side mirrors and assuming the road was clear in the middle. 

Yep another basic road rule ignored (or never known from never being taught)?!

rule being; reverse only when necessary and only the bare minimum of distance, and be extremely vigilant when doing so.

reversing a bus or van or truck of any size: get out n check behind before attempting reverse, do it as slowly as possible, use a spotter and if not available - don’t bloody reverse at all especially not tens of metres.

poor old darling RIP????????

17 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Collision warning reversing beepers cost about 1000 baht, reversing cameras a bit more, don't the van owners value any human life, or just profit?

Have you ever seen anyone look both ways before crossing whether its walking or driving, didn't think so. Though its tragic <deleted> happens because common sense lacks.

• Like 1