Denied Tourist Visa at Both Vientienne and Savannakhet - Told 3-6 Months Max Stay in Thailand Rules Now in Effect

14 minutes ago, ExFarang said:

I got a Lao extension from my original visa which expires monday- which is when I would have gotten my Thai visa back if they had any concept of consistency.

So you have been in Laos for 27 days already have you? ????

And you "lurked" around for "a long time", finally decided to join the forum and enlighten us.

Thank you.

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ExFarang said:

Hi. I appreciate the advice. I know you are trying to help so I sincerely thank you. But no way I am going to fly to another country to roll the dice with another Thai embassy. They simply are not reliable or professional. Plenty of other countries...

True, and I don't blame you for seeing it this way. Coincidentally, one reason why I toured Vietnam quite a bit this year (and obtained my last SETV in Hanoi while there) is that I also see the need to mix things up some more in the future (more time spent in other countries, less time spent in Thailand).

5 hours ago, ExFarang said:

Consul officer is denying any tourist visa if you have stayed for only 3 months in Thailand previously. 

What do you mean? If one has stayed ever in his life 3 months in Thailand, in sum, he'll now never ever in his life be able to visit Thailand?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chado said:

What do you mean? If one has stayed ever in his life 3 months in Thailand, in sum, he'll now never ever in his life be able to visit Thailand?

Savannakhet will not issue a tourist visa if you've spent 3 out of the last 6 months in Thailand. That's a local rule they have.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, ExFarang said:

Hi. Can you point me to any official statement by the Thai government asserting this rule? I can't find what you are claiming anywhere officially. I mean, they clearly state on the Visa that it is good for 60 days, so Thai's apparently do understand the concept of setting 'stated' limits. Why do you think they refuse to make this clear? You state it as something obvious but if it's so obvious then why can't they delineate it properly? I mean if I overstayed 1 day then they have no problem enforcing that with a fine. Is it just a matter of selective enforcement based on the consular officers / IO's mood?

BTW, where are you drawing that statistic that "you are working in Thailand on a tourist visa, which probably 97% of all people living on those do." Where are you getting that number from? Out of thin air, or...?

Funny you mention that though as I brought that up with the worker at Savannakhet that I know that's probably what his boss thinks... and that it is an absurd conception. I said it jokingly and he agreed. But I asked him what "job" could I possibly have in Thailand?

There is no money to be made in Thailand. Thailand is only for spending money, not making money.  Want to know how to move to Thailand and become a Millionaire? Move here with 10 Million...

What am I going to be? An English teacher? Making 1K USD a month? LOL. No thanks. I literally told him all this and he 100% agreed it was "crazy"... His words. "Baa" he said. That's Thai for crazy. I haven't spent any time in Thailand for years but years back when I did spend more time there I literally never met one single person working there except when I first came there some 20 something told me he was an English teacher in some remote village and when he told me how much he made I laughed hysterically. That was 15 years ago, before they cracked down on language schools.

Ever seen a Farang taxi driver, or construction worker, or anything else? Because I never have so I don't know where you pull this magic 97% number out of your @ss.

The only people I have EVER seen possibly working (but who never admit to) are bar managers where they are friends with the bar owners but in that case the Thai need to clean their own house because everybody knows bar owners pay the police "tea money" so if anyone knows about illegal Farang workers they know exactly where to find them. 

But in reality I know many bar owners and they have always maintained that they are forbidden from even picking up a beer from the Thai bartender and handing it to me even when they are sitting right next to me.

So again, where are the news reports of any Farang ever working in Thailand except the odd English teacher in some backwater Providence? Because I've never seen it firsthand. Ever. 

What I do see is lots and lots of Indians running restaurants, or selling clothes and knickknacks or harrasing me for a custom suit with no Thai workers anywhere in sight. Never once a Westerner.

BTW, I am retirement age and as I said I provided a bank statement with a healthy bank balance so your "argument" is meaningless in any case. I just don't want to apply for a retirement visa because as I stated (which for some odd reason you refuse to accept) I don't live in Thailand, and have no desire to. Thus, a tourist... Whether you can come to terms with that or not.

so i came here when i was 28. back then it was quickly drummed into me that if i wanted to stay here long term i was going to need some kind of "work" - down on the islands (gulf side, won't elaborate more) that was generally entertainment (djs, touts), timeshare or diving, up north it was teaching then later nomad stuff (yeah yeah not "work" lol) and tourist trekking tour stuff. hua hin was teaching, touting, translating & online language lessons and bangkok once again entertainment, nomad stuff and teaching. never spent anytime in pattaya but heard some guys make some videos ????

of course there was various businesses mixed in too be it bars, restaurants, boats, clubs, real estate, etc

note all of this "work" can be done legally (with a work permit) and illegally (without)

back then it was mostly without lol but times have changed

so yes the 97% figure is about right - i think i only ever met a handful of guys who really really didn't need to work (and i was one of them). i had rental property back home others had the odd passive business but they were very rare.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jano22 said:

But living in a foreign country WITHOUT health insurance is safe ?

Absolutely not safe, but lots of grey nomads are living here without health insurance, as many have said on this forum they don't have it. Thailand is saying bye bye to those people, thanks for coming.

43 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

This is true....I have never seen a Thai working in a Indian restaurant and I have never seen a farang restaurant with out a Thai working there....

How are these Indians & Bangladesh managing to stay & work in Thailand legally? Surely they can't get work permits to work there as they don't have the required Thai staff. I don't think they're on tourist visas either. I'm not talking about the Indians with Thai nationality but the other ones.

40 minutes ago, ExFarang said:

Hi. Can you point me to any official statement by the Thai government asserting this rule?

No need for that. If you do not understand what the name "Tourist Visa" means, then it´s just sad for you.

If you do not understand that living in Thailand over 6 month in one year can not be considered short stay. It means that it´s your second home, for which a tourist visa is not to be used for. 

Common sense beat the <deleted> out of official statements by far. Try it some time ???? 

BTW, where are you drawing that statistic that "you are working in Thailand on a tourist visa, which probably 97% of all people living on those do." Where are you getting that number from? Out of thin air, or...?

From most people I meet in the age between 25-45 years old that are constantly trying to find a way to stay on their tourist visas, and if not that work they try with ED-visa.

Funny you mention that though as I brought that up with the worker at Savannakhet that I know that's probably what his boss thinks... and that it is an absurd conception. I said it jokingly and he agreed. But I asked him what "job" could I possibly have in Thailand?

You can work online with computer. It´s a legal grey zone, where nobody knows for sure if it´s ok or not. What´s not ok and what´s mostly happens in those cases is that the person working anyway is breaking the law. With staying over 6 months in Thailand, almost all nationalities are eligeble to pay tax on their incomes in Thailand. I would say that very few is doing that. If you have that kind of job you can make all from 1 million baht per year and up. That means Thailand misses out on about 12-13% on the first million due to a progressive taxation system.

Do you really think they like that? You can also export things from thailand to customers in your home countries and other countries. That is many people that are doing with e-bay as kust one example. That´s totally illegal. So, now you can bend over and laugh again. This time because you didn´t think and didn´t know before you posted total rubbish.

There is no money to be made in Thailand. Thailand is only for spending money, not making money.  Want to know how to move to Thailand and become a Millionaire? Move here with 10 Million...

See above. I am working legally, and making over 10 million per year.

What am I going to be? An English teacher? Making 1K USD a month? LOL. No thanks. I literally told him all this and he 100% agreed it was "crazy"... His words. "Baa" he said. That's Thai for crazy. I haven't spent any time in Thailand for years but years back when I did spend more time there I literally never met one single person working there except when I first came there some 20 something told me he was an English teacher in some remote village and when he told me how much he made I laughed hysterically. That was 15 years ago, before they cracked down on language schools.

Yes, because he was probably working without permit, like many still doing.

Ever seen a Farang taxi driver, or construction worker, or anything else? Because I never have so I don't know where you pull this magic 97% number out of your @ss.

You are talking about jobs in areas restricted to foreigners.

The only people I have EVER seen possibly working (but who never admit to) are bar managers where they are friends with the bar owners but in that case the Thai need to clean their own house because everybody knows bar owners pay the police "tea money" so if anyone knows about illegal Farang workers they know exactly where to find them.  

Can´t know much people then. ???? 

But in reality I know many bar owners and they have always maintained that they are forbidden from even picking up a beer from the Thai bartender and handing it to me even when they are sitting right next to me.

So again, where are the news reports of any Farang ever working in Thailand except the odd English teacher in some backwater Providence? Because I've never seen it firsthand. Ever. 

What I do see is lots and lots of Indians running restaurants, or selling clothes and knickknacks or harrasing me for a custom suit with no Thai workers anywhere in sight. Never once a Westerner.

BTW, I am retirement age and as I said I provided a bank statement with a healthy bank balance so your "argument" is meaningless in any case. I just don't want to apply for a retirement visa because as I stated (which for some odd reason you refuse to accept) I don't live in Thailand, and have no desire to. Thus, a tourist... Whether you can come to terms with that or not.

Yes, you are a tourist as long as you do not live in Thailand over 6 month per year. In all other cases it has to be considered a try to climb up the ladder to a wannabe expat on tourist visa. 

• Sad 4

8 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Savannakhet will not issue a tourist visa if you've spent 3 out of the last 6 months in Thailand. That's a local rule they have.

Ahhhhaaaa. How can that be called a problem? That's a miiiiiiiiiiiinor incovenience.

Edited by chado

This is disappointing to hear.

Meanwhile, a Thai person can get a visa into the US and overstay, get a driver's license and have rights while in Thailand the long-stay tourists are treated like criminals for trying to stay longer in the country.

Many of us have steady incomes from investments, etc. and just want to be a tourist here longer than someone with a job would. What's so wrong about a year-long retreat in a tropical paradise? I retired at 30, I'm not the cattle-brain type who thinks every long-stay Tourist Visa holder is working illegally (at something as low paying and bad of a job as an ESL teacher pfft). Ridiculous.

Wish you luck.

Edited by moldresistant
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

I will bet you a tidy sum of money its more like 97% on tourist visas ARE NOT WORKING....

Yes, you are right. Then you are counting with the ones that can be counted as tourists. The ones that comes on a holiday for about 2 x 2 weeks up to a really long holiday of 1-3 month per year.

They are not complaining, because they do not have any problem going out and in of Thailand. I was only counting all the ones trying to live in Thailand on tourist visas and complaining on this forum because they do not understand better.

1 hour ago, moldresistant said:

This is disappointing to hear.

Meanwhile, a Thai person can get a visa into the US and overstay, get a driver's license and have rights while in Thailand the long-stay tourists are treated like criminals for trying to stay longer in the country.

Many of us have steady incomes from investments, etc. and just want to be a tourist here longer than someone with a job would. What's so wrong about a year-long retreat in a tropical paradise? I retired at 30, I'm not the cattle-brain type who thinks every long-stay Tourist Visa holder is working illegally (at something as low paying and bad of a job as an ESL teacher pfft). Ridiculous.

Wish you luck.

Thanks for the well wishes. You actually summed it up pretty nicely in fact.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hackney35 said:

Yeah I don’t think most people work on tourist visas either actually.

thailand doesn’t seem to understand that there are loads of rich people under 50 in the west who can survive off passive income sources. 

I have known a few on tourist visas who were working, over the years. When things started to tighten up, one married a bird to get a Multi-O and carried on working without a WP .....

I infer that the OP had recently stayed in Thailand for six months on three visa waivers and extensions before he applied for the tourist visa.  There have been quite a few posts on the forum recently about people with a recent series of short stays being denied entry even if they have a visa. This happened to a friend of mine this year who was forced to go back to Australia for a while until he can come back for a short stay next year.  The reality is that immigration officers are now required to limit the amount of time that a person can stay in-country during one year’s time.  There seems to be no way around that for the under-fifty group except for the expensive Elite Visa.  It’s frustrating for the young group but those are the rules that are now being enforced.

Things have changed for we over-fifties too with more onerous financial requirements.  It is not known whether people on retirement and marriage extensions will be required to buy health insurance but Thai families will be against it if they are negatively impacted. People on non-O extensions are a varied group with some of us just being too old to buy insurance.  If the government doesn’t offer a practical option to me, I will have to limit my stay to a shorter period each year or just return to California to live.  I now split my time between Japan and Thailand but don’t like cold weather.  Since I have health insurance in both Japan and the US, I hope that I won’t be required to buy it in Thailand.

• Like 1

Sorry if this was already suggested: so many long posts, quoting other long posts in full.... so I skipped a few pages.

You talked about medical stuff you were having done - why not get a medical visa?

"1. Medical Tourist Visa: 40 USD for single entry of no more than 60 days

2. Non-Immigrant O Visa (Medical Treatment): 80 USD single entry of no more than 90 days, which can be extended and changed to multiple entries at Immigration Office in Thailand."

....... extra steps than just a tourist visa, but seems to fit your profile and might get you past that pesky too much time in country rule.

6 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

You don't know how lucky you are. Immigration has done you a favour. Take a look at the beautiful women in Vietnam and Philippines. You have escaped. Thank God you haven't ended up trapped in the Land of sh*te

Thank God I don't live where there are many other foreigners. The only time I'm subjected to this insecent whinging is here on Thai Visa...

3 hours ago, ExFarang said:

Hi. Can you point me to any official statement by the Thai government asserting this rule? I can't find what you are claiming anywhere officially. I mean, they clearly state on the Visa that it is good for 60 days, so Thai's apparently do understand the concept of setting 'stated' limits. Why do you think they refuse to make this clear? You state it as something obvious but if it's so obvious then why can't they delineate it properly? I mean if I overstayed 1 day then they have no problem enforcing that with a fine. Is it just a matter of selective enforcement based on the consular officers / IO's mood?

I think there are medical visas. So why did you not go that way? But you are correct, the country has become very un warm unwelcoming as not conducive for the foreigners who happened to build their country up from the BRA straps. They are certainly being overly hitting out and this is primarily over the military government that is increasingly I don't care and xenophobic. Did I mention they don't care? It would seem that 90% of these not nice people are of Chinese decent? Speculation. American or of EU decent Thai or Thai having American or EU in them would not do this to an American or EU person on the level they are snubbing everyone. I would just hope that they themselves are denied in prospective countries for having relations with the Chinese or what not. 

Anyway, medical route was the way you should have went, and sorry to say it seems we and Thailand have lost yet another well intentioned bonafide person. Hope you are well and maybe come back after this charade of persecution has subsided. 

1 hour ago, moldresistant said:

They wasted their lives away working the 9-5 and think all "nomad" types are poor backpackers.

Most are. There are successful ones but they don't stick around in Thailand eating 40K baht pork soup and live in 6000K  25 SQM room. Have seen You tube videos where the nomad was proudly proclaiming his discovery of a gold mine for 2K (a hell hole without a/c) in CNX. Not all of them are Nomadic Matt.

Edited by JohnWayene
  • Thanks 1