Denied Tourist Visa at Both Vientienne and Savannakhet - Told 3-6 Months Max Stay in Thailand Rules Now in Effect

2 hours ago, moldresistant said:

Most of them aren't smart enough to realize you can make an income without working a job, or they just don't want to accept it. They wasted their lives away working the 9-5 and think all "nomad" types are poor backpackers.

dream on, ever had a look at the wealth stats between boomers and millennials

have a look .. and a weep.

1 hour ago, moldresistant said:

Most of them aren't smart enough to realize you can make an income without working a job, or they just don't want to accept it. They wasted their lives away working the 9-5 and think all "nomad" types are poor backpackers.

From what I've seen of these 'nomad' types; the traditionally 'poor' backpackers seem to have 'upgraded themselves to 'flashpackers' and live well in comparison. Almost all of these nomad types seem to live in grimy, cheap rooms, relish slurping on 40B noodle soup, wander aimlessly around seedy neighbourhoods seeking out the lasted 'bargains' at markets and the local Big C. I'd rather my 9-5 (not that I've ever worked those hours) and the good life that has bought me, than that anyday...

The few who have done well seem not to linger in Thailand too long.

14 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

A long rant loser ! Because over 50 and can have a retirement visa it’s “cushy “. Grow. Up

A troll. There is a reason why he made a new profile for another one of his stories. He has posted similar ones before. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Why are you bitchin' at all these old geezers? Your issue is solely with Thai Immigration. Why don't you take it up with them?

The issue is the old geezers on this forum that have been saying dumbass things to younger than 50 folks like "get an appropriate visa" when two posts down from yours by "moldresistant" says it exactly correctly "in fact there is no official rule that limits the amount of Tourist Visas one can have" which is 100% true. Just some rogue IO's at the airport that are doing as they please.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

The issue is the old geezers on this forum that have been saying dumbass things to younger than 50 folks like "get an appropriate visa"

Yes, and many of us left. Me included.

Question is, will they? And where will they go at their age?

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ExFarang said:

So again, where are the news reports of any Farang ever working in Thailand except the odd English teacher in some backwater Providence? Because I've never seen it firsthand. Ever. 

There's plenty of foreigners working in Thailand making a good salary, there always has been.

They're not teachers and you're unlikely to meet them unless you go to the same places they go.

We're talking about jobs in multi national companies and regional managers for the Asia region, that kind of thing. There's a lot of international big business going on in Bangkok - and this is where lots of foreigners are working.

• Like 1

The OP complains they wont let him stay longer, but says he doesnt want to get an O or Non-O because he doesnt want to live here??

huh??

So why not go the one safer route and come and go using re-entry permits on the back of a Non-O Visa?

safer and cheaper in the long run

Even a METV would be suffice for what he says he wants.

All these trollish type threads are getting silly now.

People saying they got turned around, denied visa etc.

its just making people believe folks are getting thrown in detention, sent back home for no reason,.

when in fact, the truth is these guys pushed their luck with doing to many entries on free VOAs

and its come back to bite em...

(but of course they always say they have lots of money)

lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OP complains they wont let him stay longer, but says he doesnt want to get an O or Non-O because he doesnt want to live here??
huh??
So why not go the one safer route and come and go using re-entry permits on the back of a Non-O Visa?
safer and cheaper in the long run

Even a METV would be suffice for what he says he wants.

All these trollish type threads are getting silly now.
People saying they got turned around, denied visa etc.

its just making people believe folks are getting thrown in detention, sent back home for no reason,.

when in fact, the truth is these guys pushed their luck with doing to many entries on free VOAs
and its come back to bite em...
(but of course they always say they have lots of money)
lol

Not many people start threads saying they successfully got through passport control and were able to enter Thailand! The number of denials is minimal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nakluapattaya said:

So entering once a year with a SETV from my country + 30 extension before going to Laos for a second SETV, and stay six months a year would still be possible right?

Not necessarily. If you enter on a SETV from your home country and extend it, the consulate in Savannakhet - as of now - will not issue another SETV because you've already spent 3 out of the last 6 months in Thailand. In Vientiane, it's less clear and might depend on how much "history" is visible in your passport. You might also be subjected to an interview.

3 hours ago, La Migra said:

Sorry if this was already suggested: so many long posts, quoting other long posts in full.... so I skipped a few pages.

You talked about medical stuff you were having done - why not get a medical visa?

"1. Medical Tourist Visa: 40 USD for single entry of no more than 60 days

2. Non-Immigrant O Visa (Medical Treatment): 80 USD single entry of no more than 90 days, which can be extended and changed to multiple entries at Immigration Office in Thailand."

....... extra steps than just a tourist visa, but seems to fit your profile and might get you past that pesky too much time in country rule.

I didn't even realize there was such a thing honestly. Although thai embassy website mentions having to get that visa in your home countries for certain countries.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/phnompenh/en/services/7962/86349-Visa-for-Medical-Treatment.html

Don't see the US listed but wouldn't surprise me if they require that now. Like I said, they don't listen officially a 6 months TV limit either. They seem to be making things up as they go along these days so hard to say. In any case my Lao extension ends Monday so it's too late now, but maybe I will research it and see if I can come back on that later after going to Cambodia or Philippines. The other thing is that while I have a few different medical issues, it's mainly dental stuff so something tells me the Thais wouldn't see that as a big moneymaker for them. Sorry if that seems jaded but I'm at the point where I am just getting the vibe from them to just get lost. Still, I appreciate the advice. I might try to look into it. Thanks.

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

They are certainly being overly hitting out and this is primarily over the military government that is increasingly I don't care and xenophobic. Did I mention they don't care? It would seem that 90% of these not nice people are of Chinese decent?

I haven't wanted to publicly speculate as it might just be my imagination, but I see such a difference now vs just 3 years ago when I was last in Thailand that I can't help but wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye insofar as preferring large Chinese tour groups.

As in, with the USA/ China so called 'Trade War' and general geo-politics, if Thailand is not moving away from the US and towards China and if this is a side effect. But I concede, that's highly speculative. Kind of funny though that those M-16's the Thai military totes around are US made. From what I hear the Chinese have taken over Sinoukaville so they do seem to be expanding their influence in SE Asia, including the Belt and Road initiative but I don't want to get too far off into geo-politics, but I can't help but wonder.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, IvorLott said:

From what I've seen of these 'nomad' types; the traditionally 'poor' backpackers seem to have 'upgraded themselves to 'flashpackers' and live well in comparison. Almost all of these nomad types seem to live in grimy, cheap rooms, relish slurping on 40B noodle soup, wander aimlessly around seedy neighbourhoods seeking out the lasted 'bargains' at markets and the local Big C. I'd rather my 9-5 (not that I've ever worked those hours) and the good life that has bought me, than that anyday...

The few who have done well seem not to linger in Thailand too long.

Ahhhhhha.

Where and how did you manage that statistics that's enough for you to be able to make such bold conslusions?

The key here in "from what you've seen". How much have you seen? Do you know how much you know of the full picture?

Edited by chado

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

We're talking about jobs in multi national companies and regional managers for the Asia region, that kind of thing. There's a lot of international big business going on in Bangkok - and this is where lots of foreigners are working.

A potential director of a multinational corporation sneeking into Thailand on a TV in order to later become a director and work in Thailand.

17 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Well one quote says you haven't been to Thailand for 3 years and the other quote says 1 1/2 months.

Old man wake up. He wasn’t in Thailand for 3 years before his recent entries  NOW he has been in Laos for 1.5 months!  Why the nonsense from you. READ HIS POST along with the other guy who liked your post ! 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

No need for that. If you do not understand what the name "Tourist Visa" means, then it´s just sad for you.

If you do not understand that living in Thailand over 6 month in one year can not be considered short stay. It means that it´s your second home, for which a tourist visa is not to be used for. 

Common sense beat the <deleted> out of official statements by far. Try it some time ???? 

From most people I meet in the age between 25-45 years old that are constantly trying to find a way to stay on their tourist visas, and if not that work they try with ED-visa.

You can work online with computer. It´s a legal grey zone, where nobody knows for sure if it´s ok or not. What´s not ok and what´s mostly happens in those cases is that the person working anyway is breaking the law. With staying over 6 months in Thailand, almost all nationalities are eligeble to pay tax on their incomes in Thailand. I would say that very few is doing that. If you have that kind of job you can make all from 1 million baht per year and up. That means Thailand misses out on about 12-13% on the first million due to a progressive taxation system.

Do you really think they like that? You can also export things from thailand to customers in your home countries and other countries. That is many people that are doing with e-bay as kust one example. That´s totally illegal. So, now you can bend over and laugh again. This time because you didn´t think and didn´t know before you posted total rubbish.

See above. I am working legally, and making over 10 million per year.

Yes, because he was probably working without permit, like many still doing.

You are talking about jobs in areas restricted to foreigners.

Can´t know much people then. ???? 

Yes, you are a tourist as long as you do not live in Thailand over 6 month per year. In all other cases it has to be considered a try to climb up the ladder to a wannabe expat on tourist visa. 

Where is your obsession with 6 months max coming from? 
Many people like myself come for winter on an METV for 6 1/2 or 7 months EVERY year! Please explain EXACTLY where you get this 6 months max figure? Prove it! Or shut up. 

• Sad 3

21 hours ago, Caldera said:

I think with your history, or relative lack thereof as it were, you would have no trouble to get a SETV in Vietnam. Personally I'd prefer Hanoi over HCMC, but with no previous tourist visa in your passport, I'm quite sure that HCMC would issue one as well.

......and there you go. Thats exactly what the OP is complaining about. It shouldnt matter what country or embassy you go to they should all be singing from the identical hymn sheet whether London KL Hanoi or Timbuktu

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, moldresistant said:

This is disappointing to hear.

Meanwhile, a Thai person can get a visa into the US and overstay, get a driver's license and have rights while in Thailand the long-stay tourists are treated like criminals for trying to stay longer in the country.

Many of us have steady incomes from investments, etc. and just want to be a tourist here longer than someone with a job would. What's so wrong about a year-long retreat in a tropical paradise? I retired at 30, I'm not the cattle-brain type who thinks every long-stay Tourist Visa holder is working illegally (at something as low paying and bad of a job as an ESL teacher pfft). Ridiculous.

Wish you luck.

Really? Most Thais cannot get a visa to the US. If they did get a visa and overstayed they would most definitely be a criminal and deported if caught. The open borders crowd and a few sanctuary cities hasn’t changed that.

20 hours ago, Matzzon said:

If you are continuosly live in Thailand on tourist visa? Yes, then you are right. They not welcome you no more. That´s only out of the simple reason you can not comprehend that a tourist visa has that name because it´s created for the purpose of tourism. Not for stay indefinately in Thailand on, bacause they will assume that you can not take care of yourself without working. That means that they will believe that you are working in Thailand on a tourist visa, which probably 97% of all people living on those do.

All other people are still welcome to Thailand. (For your information 6 month and over, can never be considered or referred to as a short term stay. If you are her eon short term stay on tourist visas as they are intended to be used for, then you have no problem as long as you live up to the requirements.)

a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.

that is the definition of tourist.

19 hours ago, Thian said:

After reading all this every day i'm really getting nervous to get a new non-o marriage based...i do have insurances, money, time, everything fine but still it gives stress.

Why would you worry? They’re cracking down on tourist and ED visa abuse 

9 minutes ago, hobz said:

a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.

that is the definition of tourist.

When it comes to immigrations and visas the only definition that matters is the definition by the host country.