Ivan Milat: Australia's 'backpacker killer' dies aged 74

rooster59

Ivan Milat: Australia's 'backpacker killer' dies aged 74

_107091412_9c0b4786-1a57-4f06-bf54-4e3852521b40.jpg

Ivan Milat was convicted of murdering seven backpackers

Ivan Milat, a notorious Australian serial killer who kidnapped and murdered hitchhikers, has died aged 74.

Milat had been serving a life sentence for killing seven backpackers between 1989 and 1992 and dumping their bodies in a New South Wales forest.

He died of cancer in a Sydney hospital early on Sunday local time.

Police said Milat's lifelong refusal to admit his crimes had hampered further investigations into the killings and other unsolved cases.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50064571

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2019-10-27

4 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Having hitchhiked from Perth to Sydney in the 1980s the story of this individual and his hillbilly family has always given me the creeps. I met some shady people on my travels but at least lived to tell the tale....

Rooster

You've probably seen the movie Wolf Creek.  Sounds very much like a combination of your trip, except with an added encounter with this chap.  Fabulously terrifying flick if you've not already caught it.

• Like 2

Nasty type, very nasty. I did (inappropriately) chuckle when in Coogee, where the locals were obviously very fed up with backpacker antics, and saw in large letters across a road dividing wall ‘weekend release for Ivan Milat’.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Evil <deleted>, refused to admit to his murders when the evidence was overwhelming. Or give closure to the families of his victims.

I suppose dying slowly of cancer was appropriate for him, although it would have saved taxpayers a lot of money if someone simply put a bullet in his head.