Foot-and-mouth disease closes Khon Kaen cattle markets

khwaibah

A look at a You-tube video of KK market

A video of KK cattle market ,most of these cattle will be brought for breeding the odd long  video shot of a half decent bull  ,can not see any going for slaughter  you would have a job to get a Sunday roast off any of them  ,may be the odd fit bull  will go for the chop.

Like most cattle markets if the owner can not the price he wants he will take them home ,and that is how F/M is spread.

Where will the cattle go ,I would say to the next Provence  to they cattle market .

In my area we have F/M again last month it was on one dairy farm ,but it was contained and did not spread ,now it is 12 km away on a beef farm , and I think it now on a dairy farm   which is how it is often spread in this area ,vie beef cattle 

Owners of beef cattle have no facilities for catching and injecting they  cattle and most owners can not even handle there cattle,  so they do not get the vaccine injection ,and a lot of owners are buying and selling beef cattle,so it can soon spread .

Last year we had a big outbreak of F/M  farms who have been milking cow for 20 years got it for the first time,we also have a lot of big company pig farms CP, have 2 -3 farms , they where not infected they bio security was good . 

wifes farm got its 2nd dose of foot and mouth vaccine this year, earler his month. like you say if you have strick bio security in place it helps to control the nasty stuff. 

i was reading about the spread of asf in china, cpf has very large pig holdings in china, but has had very little infection from asf because of the very strick bio security its farms have in place. 

as of afew months ago i banned all mobile phones going into the pig farm, workers were/are not happy, i told them all to club together and buy a uv box,so their phones can be zapped, as of yet they have not bought the uv box.... 

20 hours ago, kickstart said:

A look at a You-tube video of KK market

A video of KK cattle market ,most of these cattle will be brought for breeding the odd long  video shot of a half decent bull  ,can not see any going for slaughter  you would have a job to get a Sunday roast off any of them  ,may be the odd fit bull  will go for the chop.

Like most cattle markets if the owner can not the price he wants he will take them home ,and that is how F/M is spread.

Where will the cattle go ,I would say to the next Provence  to they cattle market .

In my area we have F/M again last month it was on one dairy farm ,but it was contained and did not spread ,now it is 12 km away on a beef farm , and I think it now on a dairy farm   which is how it is often spread in this area ,vie beef cattle 

Owners of beef cattle have no facilities for catching and injecting they  cattle and most owners can not even handle there cattle,  so they do not get the vaccine injection ,and a lot of owners are buying and selling beef cattle,so it can soon spread .

Last year we had a big outbreak of F/M  farms who have been milking cow for 20 years got it for the first time,we also have a lot of big company pig farms CP, have 2 -3 farms , they where not infected they bio security was good . 

Speedo1968

Advanced Members

1,179 posts

Posted 22 hours ago

Not surprised.   So where will the cattle / pigs go that cannot now go to KK ?  and so it goes ....

My point exactly.

Having been in farming since 1961, mostly in different countries, working freelance, many of the farms with extremely high bio-security procedures in place, there seems to be more of "it won't happen in my backyard" attitude due to arrogance rather than lack of knowledge.
I would not accept through hear say that certain company farms are free of disease just because they state that their bio-security is very good.    As "thongfoned" pens in his post about mobile phones.  In India a major world producer of rabies vaccines with brand new facilities suffered a total loss of it's very first flock due to a simple breach in security.    The worst part of it was that under Indian regulations the flock could not be destroyed, the birds must die first, this took over 3 weeks.
When working with other companies on any return trip from overseas I was not allowed to enter any of their facilities for one month.    

Where I live now in Thailand their are 'free-range" cattle / buffaloes going back every evening to a farm that has young fattening stock.

A hatchery here turned a blind eye for many weeks to staff not wanting to walk through a foot-dip.

Only when a farmer looses everything might they sit up and wonder why....

5 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Speedo1968

Advanced Members

1,179 posts

Posted 22 hours ago

Not surprised.   So where will the cattle / pigs go that cannot now go to KK ?  and so it goes ....

My point exactly.

Having been in farming since 1961, mostly in different countries, working freelance, many of the farms with extremely high bio-security procedures in place, there seems to be more of "it won't happen in my backyard" attitude due to arrogance rather than lack of knowledge.
I would not accept through hear say that certain company farms are free of disease just because they state that their bio-security is very good.    As "thongfoned" pens in his post about mobile phones.  In India a major world producer of rabies vaccines with brand new facilities suffered a total loss of it's very first flock due to a simple breach in security.    The worst part of it was that under Indian regulations the flock could not be destroyed, the birds must die first, this took over 3 weeks.
When working with other companies on any return trip from overseas I was not allowed to enter any of their facilities for one month.    

Where I live now in Thailand their are 'free-range" cattle / buffaloes going back every evening to a farm that has young fattening stock.

A hatchery here turned a blind eye for many weeks to staff not wanting to walk through a foot-dip.

Only when a farmer looses everything might they sit up and wonder why....

With FMD in Thailand  in cattle they treat it as just another disease ,and try to cure it  by injecting antibiotics ,but with FMD cattle can get over it them selves ,but they are often weak ,dairy cows the milk yield drops drastically ,so dose fertility a few cows die ,some due to related diseases ,mortality in young  calves is high ,farmers say injecting them does cure the disease .

What annoys  the dairy farms is the fact they can not send they milk for selling due to the injected antibiotics ,for a few weeks ,resulting in a big loss of income .

As for bio security ,what bio security ,when word is out they is  FMD  about farmers spread  lime at the front of they farms ,idea  vehicles  drive over the lime and the lime kills the virus ......about as much use as a chocolate teapot.the local DLD have dips at the end of Soi's of infected farms "dips" being rice sacks on the road soaked in disinfection  vehicles run over the sacks  and it kill the diseases,and stops it from spreading ,and they only work from 8 am-6 pm,  about as much use...............

We all know about Thai dogs just roaming about the place ,it has been reported that dogs have spread the diseas ,no one controls the dogs .

When a farm get FMD they are normally on they own, vets will not enter that farm and inject they cattle ,except one vet ,he will inject a heard with FMD ,and then needles to say  ,he goes  home to his own dairy farm and infects his own farm .

The problem is they do not loose every thing , ,cattle get over it and life goes on again ,one farm ,one of the best in the area ,a good guy knows his cows ,he got it twice in 18 months ,no bio security at all ,just the lime at the front of the farm ,I meet him after his second out brake ,he was just carrying  on as before ,just like all the other farms ,he was telling me how much he spent on drugs injecting his cattle ,like I said it was just another disease ,another  case of tit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived