Mosquitos

angie

Why do mosquitos bite some people and not others?

This has always puzzled me.

My child gets bitten almost every day, i use repellent on him, but to no avail, then you get some smart arse saying to him "I never get bitten" WHY!!!!!!!!!!!

My child gets bitten almost every day, i use repellent on him, but to no avail, then you get some smart arse saying to him "I never get bitten" WHY!!!!!!!!!!!

Angie,

Horses for courses and every mozzi has its target for whatever reason,

I jest you not ( no smart ass but yes never been bitten)

Lived in spain for 3 years and now here also last 3 years,

Alcohol and there will not bother you or your little prized one.

No i am not suggesting you go binge drinking.

If its a serious problem try splashing a bit of alcohol around your body ( i know it might not smell nice during the night) but it will stop bites.

The heavy binge drinkers never seem to have had a problem because of the alcohol coming through the paws of there skin.

no i am not the above but was involved in the licenced trade for many years.

Strange but true :o

I beg to differ. My girl in Surin showers 3 times a day but they never touch her.

Incidentally, of all the places in all the world I've been, only in her Surin village do they bite me. I can see them forming attack squadrons over me every night.......Pisser.

I beg to differ. My girl in Surin showers 3 times a day but they never touch her.

Incidentally, of all the places in all the world I've been, only in her Surin village do they bite me. I can see them forming attack squadrons over me every night.......Pisser.

A soapdodger is a nationality :o

A soapdodger is a nationality :o

I expect that the rules covering racism would prevent the country to which the term applies from being named.

Usually mosquitos find their victims by the smell of sweat. First of all they get attracted

by light and one may suppose when lying in bed and just turning the lights off this will disable those little suckers to find you. But anyway they gonna get ya even when hiding under the bed in deep deep darkness. It's your natural scent that leads them.

No, I'm not talking smelly rodden sweat but just the usual natural odor a human body produces. Afterall, people that tend to heavy perspiration (for example sportlers and/or overweight people) would be obvously more often victims of attacks. Also naturally, males usually sweat heavier than females. On the other hand people that shower a lot and employ highly fragranced shower gels or soaps may get "eaten up" less.

By the way, did you know that not all mosquitos suck blood. It's only the female ones that require proteins to breed. Ain't it amazing how close all those species actually are. Females suck protein enabling them to breed.... ponder, ponder! Replace the word protein with "money" and apply the process to a wingless, two-legged kind of a beast - darn, what a coincidence! Nature, sometimes leaves one indeed speechless.

Apologies for drifting off the topic but it was just toooo tempting... I couln't resist.

Now, this also answers your question why a SMART arse (is it allowed to use this word? If not, please kindly replace with "buttocks" at your discretion) never gets bitten and sucked :o

hmm, I always thought mozzies were attracted by the carbon dioxide we exhale.

Or was it carbon monoxide? :D

Try camomile soap or spray, made here in Thailand. Works for me :o

Yep, carbon dioxide (CO2) but we ALL breathe and unfortunately can not avoid it. Are there heavy breathers (the ideal targets for mozzie attacks) among us while the flat exhalers are blessed. There is indeed injustice in this world. Well, one can stop and never get bitten but the mosquito annoyance appears still to be the better choice over being a dead body. :D

i have also been told they are attracted to purfumes/after shaves,

dont know if this is true or not. But the gf wears a load of purfume and gets eaten loads, where as i dont and hardly ever get bitten...

and no, i dont mean i wear the gf's purfume

dont know if this is true or not. But the gf wears a load of purfume and gets eaten loads, where as i dont and hardly ever get bitten...

Your gf must be a real "sweet" person and hence luring the suckers. You better keep a very close eye on that gal. :D

If your avatar reflects your appearance it seems to be pretty clear why the mozzies don't make a hit at you. You lucky one - you just scare them away. :o

Some doctors say that it depends on how much sugar you have in your blood. Apparently mosquitoes can 'smell' the sweet skin ... or when you had your last sweet intake ... Apparently too, westerners are advised to stop eating any sweet food 3 weeks before they travel to mosquitoes infected zones if they do not want to be bitten.

Cheers! :o

UDON quote;;hmm, I always thought mozzies were attracted by the carbon dioxide we exhale.

Or was it carbon monoxide?

How very right you are,,all the electronic mossie traps generate CO2 as a bait to get them to come to the trap,,and when I was working in the jungles Guatamala the locals picked a leaf from a tree and boiled a tea and we drank a lot of it and it did kinda hide you from to many bites.

But I have heard from others on cruising sailboats that AVON SKIN SO SOFT was the best mosquito repellant in the world,so maybe you could get some and try it on the kid.

And it is not true that heavy drinkers are immune to bites,I was drunk for many years and did suffer a lot from passing out in a field or street and waking up with thousands of bites,coarse I was lucky,another guy passed out in the village street in Guatamala and a vampire bat got him and he got rabies.

Thanks or your reply's

My son is only 10 and has not got the "sweat" smell as such yet, however as kids do, he eats lots of sweet stuff, i'll try cutting that out.

Just been smelling my own arm pits, oh how nice they smaell, thanks "lynx".

Personally, i hate sugar stuff, maybe that's why i don't get bitten that often!

Angie

But I have heard from others on cruising sailboats that AVON SKIN SO SOFT was the best mosquito repellant in the world,so maybe you could get some and try it on the kid.

How much does Avon pay you for plugging their stuff? :D

Unattractive skin even to mosquitos! :o

Snowleopard.

Just an observation:

When I hang out my shirts to dry, at sunset, (I don't trust my maid with my washing machine since she turned all my white, Marks, dungers green in her 1 st week) I notice the mozzies go for the dark colours and stay away from the whites.. yawn :D Note, this only happens at dusk and dawn..... phew. :o

UDON; Them at that time of day is supposed to be the ones with the BIG "D: fever

snowleopard;quote;;How much does Avon pay you for plugging their stuff?

Unattractive skin even to mosquito's!

Snowleopard.

Naw they don't pay me a ###### thing,,but people come here,I included, to get what info we can and some have problems that advise from others sometimes is a help,,now if you do not like the advise,why do you even bother to post criticism to others that offer honest help?

I know that I would not want to put that commercial repellent on a little kid.

And do you know for a fact that it does not help to keep mosquito's away??

They are attracted to perfume of any kind. You dont have to put it on, it's in your soap, suncream, moisteriser etc.

They hate Citronella though so spash it on all over your body.

They dont like Aircon either or fans on full blast.

I hate the Buggers.

Do you know that they have killed more people than any other creature on the Planet? The Malarial ones that is........

For a good Citronella spray, look for the one made by a Thai Hospital, it's in English on the label.

Ahh, here it is...Chaophya Abhaibhubejhr Hospital, Prachinburi, 25000,

Tel: 037-211523

Enjoy saying that name :o

• 2 weeks later...