Chinese man went shopping with fake credit cards using data from Europeans

webfact

Chinese man went shopping with fake credit cards using data from Europeans

1pm.jpg

Bangkok Biz News reported the arrest of a 36 year old credit card skimmer who bought goods and services in the Chang Wattana area north of Bangkok.

He was charged with credit card fraud and illegal entry after his arrest outside a condominium in the Rama 9 area of the capital. 

Members of a gang had sent him credit card details of Europeans from China via a chat application.

He had then entered this data on the magnetic strip of fake cards and used them to make purchases. 

Computer crime police collected a lot of evidence in the form of dozens of fake cards, a skimming machine and computer notebook. 

The suspect has admitted the crime. 

The media said that losses were small as the police got wise to the crime early limiting the resulting damage.

Information that led to his arrest came from a local bank. 

Source: Bangkok Biz News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-28

They used to be undercover plain clothes police but now their cover has been blown....

Having read news headlines for nearly 15 years in Thailand I have noticed whichever dominant group of "tourists' are in country, the more they dominate the daily headlines in the news. Be it for criminal activities or deaths. It is now the Chinese but it used to be the westerners.

So the good guys in bad guys out still does not work......

I cannot think of any other country where this happens...can you?

8 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Must be 25+ years that credit cards with chips exist. So why is there still countries who put magnetic stripes on their cards? Without it this kind of fraud is a lot of more difficult.

Money !  Lot of bank don't want pay the french guy who invented it (and i think he was asking a lot...) So they waited he loose some trials and then he loose his patent protection to start use it.

(In France  i am pretty sure i had chip on my card almost 30 years ago.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 10:56 AM, Pattaya46 said:

Must be 25+ years that credit cards with chips exist. So why is there still countries who put magnetic stripes on their cards? Without it this kind of fraud is a lot of more difficult.

Backward compatibility. I read that for the US it was less expensive to pay for the fraud than upgrade the system but it's slowly getting done. 

On 10/28/2019 at 7:43 PM, Rv Hawee said:

In France  i am pretty sure i had chip on my card almost 30 years ago.

Sounds about right, the chipped version of Carte Bleue went live in 1993, the original EMV standard dates to 1995.

On 10/28/2019 at 4:33 PM, Beggar said:

I understand. Nobody should know that they are working for the police. This is the reason why they are on the photo without uniform. 

There's a difference between plain-clothed detectives (as opposed to the uniformed branch) and undercover officers.

On 10/28/2019 at 5:56 PM, Mavideol said:

so the undercover cops faces are shown in the photos (they are supposed to be undercover/ unrecognizable) but the scum bag has his face covered.... really no standards/logical thinking here

You're right about no logical thinking here, they are not "supposed to be undercover and unrecognisable", they're just detectives!

16 hours ago, BestB said:

I am wondering how thai bank knew to notify the police for police to be able to track him down so fast ?

Maybe the banks' technology recognises dodgy cards, maybe the details of Europeans on cards used by a Chinese alerted them that something may be wrong.

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Maybe the banks' technology recognises dodgy cards, maybe the details of Europeans on cards used by a Chinese alerted them that something may be wrong.

So in other words you do not have a clue but felt like sharing your wisdom anyway ?

Archived