Big spending Indians - 5,800 baht a day - set to revolutionize Thai tourism!

webfact

My annual spend averages out to at greater than 3,000 Baht per day.

That is only 51% of the daily average spend of the Indian tourist' whose virtues they are extolling, but who is only here for a few weeks.

However, I am here 365 days a year, but the Thai government, in their wisdom, are making it more & more difficult for me to stay in Thailand on my Retirement Extension, but easier for the Indian tourist.

"Daft I calls it"

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, starky said:

Where are these wonderful theme parks and zoos? Surely not places like the tiger temple or other Victorian era exploitive animal traps where the occupants are mistreated and starving. As for theme parks has Thailand ever had a world class theme park? Ever? Na really just sayin 

The only wonderful theme park I been to in Thailand was the old Thermee coffee shop.

11 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Actually the maths is correct if you assume that there's 1 visit per year for an average of 14 days, then @NCC1701A is worth 13.3 2 week Indian tourists visits over the year

if an individual Indian spends the whole month there then he's worth around 1/2 that

If you aggregate all Indians (i.e. there's somebody in-country spending 5,800 THB per day for 365 days of the year) then yes, he's worth around 0.6 which isn't bad considering it's just one man against > 1.1 Billion [I'm aware of the twisted logic with that one :)] 

21 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

There are quite some chinese buying super expensive items for the VAT return, think Gucci and LV bags costing hundreds of thousands of baht. That will move the average spending up a lot.

The smaller restaurants wont see a satang of it, its only the French and Italian brand stores getting happy (and the government pocketing the taxes on these things).

I fully understand your thinking here (I was thinking houses, condos and cars bought by the wealthy Chinese) but how can they separate, how can they calculate one country's tourist spending?

Besides, I don't think there are that many 'genuine' Gucci or LV bags to be able to up the average for 1.59 million Indians never mind the much greater number of Chinese tourists..............:thumbsup: 

Many years ago I was looking for a reasonably-priced house to rent in Jomtien. I found a place with a great location, but it was an absolute tip inside. I wanted a one-year lease and would have been happy to sign up for longer if the owner had been willing to renovate it a bit, clean it up, a coat of paint and a few sticks of new furniture. I was told there was no chance of that happening, if I didn't want it as it was then an Indian would soon come along and rent it. Plus ca change...

7 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

how can they separate, how can they calculate one country's tourist spending?

The only place I can think of where you need to show your passport for shopping is King Power. Or tax returns at airport. Pretty poor indicators.

5800 baths is whopping?? I was spending that a day back in 2005 !!! 
my last 4 trips I was spending on average 10,000 a day! Aussies and Poms and Americans will spend that on average easy and we are not even the big spenders from our respective countries. A girl from soi cowboy is asking 3000-4000 these days obviously Thailand’s Red light districts are going to fall to the wayside.

5 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I fully understand your thinking here (I was thinking houses, condos and cars bought by the wealthy Chinese) but how can they separate, how can they calculate one country's tourist spending?

Besides, I don't think there are that many 'genuine' Gucci or LV bags to be able to up the average for 1.59 million Indians never mind the much greater number of Chinese tourists..............:thumbsup: 

Previously they looked at credit card spending. If your credit card is linked to your chinese nationality the credit card company can easily make a printout how much all chinese have spend on thai soil with their CC.

Not many europeans use a CC for normal purchases though, making comparisons between countries difficult.

I base my guess of the importance of VAT-free spending on the number of chinese walking out of king power with big bags full of stuff and the number of chinese shopping at luxury brand shops. In my home country in europe half the staff at the LV shop are fluent mandarin speakers. The only spot you find something similar is in a chinese restaurant. 

I once knew a guy, who constantly started new business projects and always told everybody how rich he would get. He of course never got rich on any of them.

Every time I read a tourist article here, I think of him... 

1 hour ago, marqus12 said:

Correct the math.

You are worth 0.6 Indian per month .

Cool love a mathematician. I drop 250k a month every month not inclusive of my kids private school fees and incidentals like car insurance and rego for the 2 cars and 5 motorbikes plus my health insurance is paid in AUS dollars so let's exclude that. So how many Indians am I worth? 

6 minutes ago, starky said:

Cool love a mathematician. I drop 250k a month every month not inclusive of my kids private school fees and incidentals like car insurance and rego for the 2 cars and 5 motorbikes plus my health insurance is paid in AUS dollars so let's exclude that. So how many Indians am I worth? 

To us you are priceless, here on TVF we love you big guy.

11 minutes ago, starky said:

One that tells porkies.....????

14 minutes ago, starky said:

Depends on where you studied math
According to some ... 37 Indians 555

22 minutes ago, starky said:

It takes only a few like me on 25k a month to bring your spending as an average way down...oops sorry for that ???? I'm not here to prove to the Thais how much I can financially contribute to them.

2 hours ago, nev said:

Welcome to you Indian's and Chinese us whities are no longer wanted here we are systematically being eradicated from here.

And your opinion is based on what? I haven't heard any Aussie tourist to be denied entry here, they are still coming visa exempt.

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

$5,800 thb per day.  They must have forgot to mention that it includes a family of 14.  I owned a retail furniture store in the USA.  They would not spend $5,800 THB on a complete living room sofa, love seat, and coffee table set. 

Exactly!????

Archived