O-X visa

It appears that my logic breaks down when the O-X visa (details available at consular.gov.th) is considered. In spite of requiring 300000THB on deposit, insurance of piddling amounts compared with the sum held in fixed accounts is still required.  

Let me start a new rumour. This may be replacing the O visa for retirement, if so then I hope that it is grandfathered because there is no way that I could get insurance at my age and if I could I do not see why I should be forced to pay for something which I don’t need? 

I have long held the view that you can see what is coming for an extension of stay on Non O based on retirement just by looking what the same Government came up with for OX - Bt3m deposit in Thai bank, Health Insurance, and home country criminal record clearance. The real dealbreaker is whether the 3m will be in an account in your name or an escrow account that requires their co-operation to access/retrieve the funds. That is my feeling based on 25 years exposure to Thai Governments/Thai way.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

...and don't forget the 3M baht has to be seeded for 1 year before you can submit your application

When applying it only has to be in the bank on the date you apply.

"4. Financial evidence

4.1 Certificate of bank deposit stating bank contact information, copy of bank book and bank statement which shows fixed deposit with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand;"

This is after the application is accepted and the visa issued. It is needed to keep the visa or current entry valid.

"The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand."

Soruce: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/other/7394/80938-Non-–-Immigrant-Visa--“O---X”-(Long-Stay-10-years).html

I am one who was actually all gung ho about the OX.. A decade of trouble free visa access for the simple 'cost' of verifying my income somehow or shuffling some funds about, funds I intended to bring here anyway. 

So I was dead keen until I hear 

1) its not a 10 year visa, its 2 five year visas

2) it requires annual immgration visits ?!?! This is the whole thing I am trying to not do. 

3) I need to maintain insurance, not only the year I get it (tolerable) but constantly over the period.. I may be out of thailand for 8 months of each year, yet I have to remain insured even when not here !?!?! 

I still dont know what 'entry' you get on the 5 year visa ?? 

I still dont know the frequency of the immigration visits ?? 

If its that they give a 5 year visa (renewed at 5 years again) and you get 1 year permissions of stay each time, without any more forced interaction with immigration until the end of the 5 years, I am back to being fairly interested, but if airport IOs are going to only stamp up my entry for the period of insurance I carry with me, I need an insurance policy I can turn on and off or a solution to that aspect. 

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

You get stamped a 1 year entry each time you come into the country. 

So you get 5 year visa (another 5 year to be reviewed) and you get 1 year entry, and no interaction with immigration for checks etc in that entire 5 years (90 day reporting etc) thats actually back to being interesting. 

Now its just the annoyance of insuring myself, for a year when I am not incountry all year. But thats just a cost, and one I could probably bear TBH. Before I would have assumed you could buy it once, and then be in and out for 5 years, now with the new 'up to the end date' possible issues it is maybe a different outcome. 

Edited by LivinLOS

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

............ and no interaction with immigration for checks etc in that entire 5 years (90 day reporting etc) thats actually back to being interesting. .......

My recollection is that you still do 90 day reporting, still do TM30 and you have to report to imm' annually (whether you have to do this if you left the country in that year I don't know). 

8 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

My recollection is that you still do 90 day reporting, still do TM30 and you have to report to imm' annually (whether you have to do this if you left the country in that year I don't know). 

Yeah I leave the country a lot, so having a long term Visa, with annual entries would be ideal.  One of my issues is that when I leave I often don't go to my country of passport,  so as well as workload,  I need to consider what Visa I need just to go home. 

Combine that with avoiding immigration for 5 years at a stretch and it's very interesting.