Law regarding depth of ponds/reservoirs

My Bother-in-Law is considering having a pond/reservoir dug in order to maintain a water supply.  He was hoping to excavate down to 6 meters with an area of around 1 rai.   However he tells me that locals have told him he can not have it dug deeper than 4 meters without a license.  Now can anybody help as to confirming as to whether this maximum depth is really regulated as opposed to local gossip, and secondly where should he go, or ask to get  official advice ?

• Haha 1

I would guess he could dig it as deep as he liked.  If there was a problem in the future then all he need to is pass a fat brown envelope to someone and all will be fine again.  I might be wrong, but from what I have seen, that seems to normal way here.  

You May need a permit from your tambon office.  Check there otherwise it should be OK.  If you need a permit you will need to erect a green sign with white writing showing the permit details next to the dam.

We have a damn fine dam....no permit necessary....so the wife said.  

IMG20180316145237.jpg

IMG20180316141430.jpg

Pix 29-05-18.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately most posters are talking out of their backsides.  Under the minerals act you do indeed need a permit to excavate below 4 mtrs normal ground level.  As to whether or not local officials allow it to happen is immaterial. The land owner may well be prosecuted and given the current status regarding illegal land and mineral excavations it would be stupid to undertake such a project relying on "local knowledge", local officials, "it must be ok because a local Tambon accepted it", without a license.  But hey this is Thailand so just go on as if you are ok. Just don't complain years later when it bites you in the bum. Ignorance has no bounds apparently.

• Sad 1