High Season: "Tourists will be safe and we will be good hosts" says tourist police chief

webfact

10 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

I've just been reading about Mike Jones-Mathias who was killed by a punch from an agogo bouncer in Pattaya. He was accused of not paying for his bar tab. What kind of welcome to us is that ?

Terrible. I've just read the story. 

I don't want to start any speculation but a single punch to kill an army veteran while possible seems off. I have seen locals using those brass knuckles recently... 

Either way, there have been so many similar stories over the years. 

RIP 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Daffy D said:

First time I've heard the word Host used in connection with tourists.

Unfortunately the average Thai does not understand the word host and the attitude and behavior it implies.

We are always reminded that we are just guests here and it's all down to us to conform to local customs and attitudes. Fair enough but as we are invited here Thais also have a responsibility to behave as "Hosts", make allowances and treat us the invited guests that we are.

Not easy to be a good host for visitors that never intend to leave ...

• Like 1

It's certainly inspiring that they feel they have to announce this. Also interesting is the fact that 4 out of 6 of the crimes they list were either done by foreigners (3) or by Thais in support of foreigners doing illegal activities (1).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, smudger1951 said:

I've just been reading about Mike Jones-Mathias who was killed by a punch from an agogo bouncer in Pattaya. He was accused of not paying for his bar tab. What kind of welcome to us is that ?

I used to have a bar on Soi  green Mango in Samui from 1997 to 2004.  If somebody skipped out at the Mango the crew would follow him down the Soi until he got to a dark area.  There were usually 3 or 4 of them, the smallest in the rear, carrying the "punch", a 12" to 15" steel pipe filled with concrete.

they will be getting ready for the police check pts for driving checks,pay just over they and u can go again.and anything else for the tea money.we will look after the tourist well again.in ever town and check point cnx included

Edited by bristolgeoff
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Thomas Hannah said:

They used to.But now they have changed,Not just to tourists.They all used to stand at 6pm to the King.I asked many times,why everything change,There answer was always thai have money now.No respect anymore.Money number one.You are only there to be taken advantage of.Car accident etc,if you not here .it not happen.you are to blaim.Best is to stay away from the place.

Good point, I remember that well but haven't seen it happen for a long time, just can't remember when I last saw it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

the Divalux Resort and Spa Hotel in Lat Krabang

Posh venue for another meaningless junket at the tax payers expense where meaningless platitudes are mouthed by self-important people without reducing the daily road death total by ONE.

On 10/31/2019 at 9:57 AM, webfact said:

High Season: "Tourists will be safe and we will be good hosts" says tourist police chief

I'm sorry but I have to laugh at this headline. 

Firstly, it is an empty promise. These things can't be spouted out so casually. 

Secondly, they use arrests of foreigners as their way to show new tourists will be safe. Which means they are trying to blame crime only happens by tourists to tourists. 

But I must say, after reading this story,I feel much more confident I will not be treated so poorly like being robbed by overcharging. Or scammed out of my money at a police checkpoint or if I need to file a complaint to the police for criminal behavior directed towards me when I need to have the police actually do something to arrest the perp. 

So I will surely feel safer now when walking around or driving down the street. 

• Like 1