High Season: "Tourists will be safe and we will be good hosts" says tourist police chief

webfact

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

I've just been reading about Mike Jones-Mathias who was killed by a punch from an agogo bouncer in Pattaya. He was accused of not paying for his bar tab. What kind of welcome to us is that ?

Terrible. I've just read the story. 

I don't want to start any speculation but a single punch to kill an army veteran while possible seems off. I have seen locals using those brass knuckles recently... 

Either way, there have been so many similar stories over the years. 

RIP 

10 hours ago, Daffy D said:

First time I've heard the word Host used in connection with tourists.

Unfortunately the average Thai does not understand the word host and the attitude and behavior it implies.

We are always reminded that we are just guests here and it's all down to us to conform to local customs and attitudes. Fair enough but as we are invited here Thais also have a responsibility to behave as "Hosts", make allowances and treat us the invited guests that we are.

Not easy to be a good host for visitors that never intend to leave ...

11 hours ago, Daffy D said:

First time I've heard the word Host used in connection with tourists.

Unfortunately the average Thai does not understand the word host and the attitude and behavior it implies.

We are always reminded that we are just guests here and it's all down to us to conform to local customs and attitudes. Fair enough but as we are invited here Thais also have a responsibility to behave as "Hosts", make allowances and treat us the invited guests that we are.

They used to.But now they have changed,Not just to tourists.They all used to stand at 6pm to the King.I asked many times,why everything change,There answer was always thai have money now.No respect anymore.Money number one.You are only there to be taken advantage of.Car accident etc,if you not here .it not happen.you are to blaim.Best is to stay away from the place.

It's certainly inspiring that they feel they have to announce this. Also interesting is the fact that 4 out of 6 of the crimes they list were either done by foreigners (3) or by Thais in support of foreigners doing illegal activities (1).

You do not know how to be good hosts and you have never implemented safety policies for the public or for traffic law. And the few you have put into law are not enforced.

So, stop lying. Man up. Take some responsibility for the massive failures of your administration and past ones. You can try to promise improvement, but you lack any credibility if you are going to claim that your franchisees will not continue to fleece the public and will begin to care about keeping people safe on the highways. 

You are the laughing stock of planet earth. 

7 hours ago, smudger1951 said:

I've just been reading about Mike Jones-Mathias who was killed by a punch from an agogo bouncer in Pattaya. He was accused of not paying for his bar tab. What kind of welcome to us is that ?

I used to have a bar on Soi  green Mango in Samui from 1997 to 2004.  If somebody skipped out at the Mango the crew would follow him down the Soi until he got to a dark area.  There were usually 3 or 4 of them, the smallest in the rear, carrying the "punch", a 12" to 15" steel pipe filled with concrete.

10 hours ago, Thomas Hannah said:

They used to.But now they have changed,Not just to tourists.They all used to stand at 6pm to the King.I asked many times,why everything change,There answer was always thai have money now.No respect anymore.Money number one.You are only there to be taken advantage of.Car accident etc,if you not here .it not happen.you are to blaim.Best is to stay away from the place.

Good point, I remember that well but haven't seen it happen for a long time, just can't remember when I last saw it.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

the Divalux Resort and Spa Hotel in Lat Krabang

Posh venue for another meaningless junket at the tax payers expense where meaningless platitudes are mouthed by self-important people without reducing the daily road death total by ONE.

On 10/31/2019 at 9:57 AM, webfact said:

High Season: "Tourists will be safe and we will be good hosts" says tourist police chief

I'm sorry but I have to laugh at this headline. 

Firstly, it is an empty promise. These things can't be spouted out so casually. 

Secondly, they use arrests of foreigners as their way to show new tourists will be safe. Which means they are trying to blame crime only happens by tourists to tourists. 

But I must say, after reading this story,I feel much more confident I will not be treated so poorly like being robbed by overcharging. Or scammed out of my money at a police checkpoint or if I need to file a complaint to the police for criminal behavior directed towards me when I need to have the police actually do something to arrest the perp. 

So I will surely feel safer now when walking around or driving down the street. 

It's a shame that they don't extend that greeting to all the retirees and long stayers, that have invested millions of baht in property purchase, rental, general living expenses or expensive partners over the years, yet still made to jump through hoops, Tm this, Tm that, health insurance, 400,000 thb left in bank for perpetuity, ( can't see our next of kin getting their hands on this after our demise ). As said by other posters, perhaps our Mother countries should insist that Thai nationals have to obey the same rules that we have to here and before the brigade get on my case, I know it is not easy to take a Thai partner to many countries, but once they are there the host countries don't keep changing the rules every month or so.

8 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

like a a dude who spends every waking hour spewing venom about the place he lives.

Quite lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall about the policies here, or the culture, some guy who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any time, study, or focus on the issue at hand, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or "maybe you should leave", or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". 

Why? Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful thing to be blessed with, it is not something most of us enjoy. The fact that I complain does not mean I do not love Thailand, my lifestyle, and most of the Thai people. I have a good life here. But, I do have some issues with the place, as most do, and I do not like the government, and there are some things I would like to see improved. Do you not see any room for improvement? I should leave because I complain? 

Archived