Papa considering 2nd-hand KTM Duke 390

papa al

papa nitnoi bored.

Haven't bought a road bike in a few years.

Price is not bad.

Duke has 45 HP so should be interesting.

Main concern is servicing by

dealer or other shop.

Feedback from LOS KTM riders wound be very appreciated.

Thanks very big.

????

KTM Duke 390.png

Edited by papa al

They do look like fun bikes for good prices now,,,,,impressive top speed same as my versys 650????????????????would imagine the versys to be bit more comfortable and stable at them speeds though..repairs shouldn’t be a problem if have good mechanic ,maybe more of a problem finding parts might be a bit of a delay and maybe expensive,,,example if the tft screen breaks bet there not cheap.

• Like 1

I vote for 390cc, if you are getting a KTM at least get a fun one, I heard good things about it, a member of this forum here bought a new one a year ago I think, I thought he would give you a feedback but probably hasn't seen your post...(search the forum for his posts)

As for my experience with my purchase of new, un-test driven, Chinese CG150 cr*p, the most important thing will be vibration, so try it first, and decide... Even same model bikes sometime have different amount of vibration (!?), so I'm thinking I never buy a brand new bike again, because at least I can fully test a used one before paying...!!!!??? Scooters excluded due to chassis and engine mount, they have little/no vibration...

(Although reputable manufacturers probably have better quality controls and I think/hope they test a new bike before letting it out of the factory (!?), not like re-assembled toys sent in pieces from China and put together by kids in other countries...!!!)

Edited by Agusts
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Agusts said:

Even same model bikes sometime have different amount of vibration (!?),

Absolutely.

Hope to test drive the Duke Monday, and run it

up Hywy 3 from Country Club Road,

3km to test for vibration at speed.

Looks like the bike has new tires.

https://www.pjtrading.shop/index.php?id_product=430&controller=product

Unbalanced tire(s) is usually the problem.

Have a stock of BalanceBeads on hand.

Excellent product totally obsoletes lead-weight balancing.

Recommendo mucho. 

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

A PAPA decal would fit.

Thinking of going all black with red or orange rim tape.

Maybe small 'papa' in Thai script somewhere ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, taninthai said:

The 200 is a bit on the small size heightwise i think but for 59,000 great prices really.

Can always sell 200 and buy 390 later.

Used to 15 HP,

so 25 ponies should entertain me for a while.

5 5

[I think 200 & 390 share same frame, not sure.]

Go for it. These singles are fun and easy to maintain.

Second hand non-Honda bikes lose their value here fast.

Got a used Z250SL for just 50k and Thai mechanics are still telling me it should be priced lower because it's not a Honda. 

74348154_2814755695224012_4639226783248416768_o.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, properperson said:

Can get a cleanable / copy K & N filter,  meaning you won't be chasing around for KTM paper ones......

done ordered from Ebay:

&

ktm filters.png

brush guard.png

Edited by papa al

Finally I am able to post - the moderator gave me a break...

I bought a new 2017 model Duke 390 last year. I have it now since about 1.5 years and in general I like the bike. I use it 95% only in Bangkok, mostly Sukhumvit traffic. I would buy it again.

About KTM: As far as I know the current distributor BurnRubber does not import any new bikes anymore and I think their contract with KTM expires end of 2020. If nobody else will take over that means then there is no official KTM dealer and no KTM spart parts on stock in Thailand anymore.

Last week I saw construction work on the main KTM shop in Bangkok. I don't know if they closed it or renovated it or whatever. Likely I will check again next week. After I discovered that I sent an email to BurnRubber and they did not replay within a week. Not good.

There are good KTM spare part finders online to find out the part numbers and parts are available online. I have to admit I never tried to order any online. https://sparepartsfinder.ktm.com/

The bikes in your pictures are the "old" model Duke which was produced until 2016. The new model, starting from 2017, had a couple of changes. Some are: LED lights (great front light!), 320mm instead of 300mm front disk brake, throttle by wire, different exhaust, different motor electronic. The mapping of the old model can be changed by KTM. The new model has one fixed mapping, that's it.

Engine: This is a high rev one cylinder and not a thumper. Below 4000 RPM the engine does not run smooth, especially in 1st and 2nd gear. Riding behind slow traffic needs constant clutch use.  The red line is at 10,500 RPM and it produces a lot of power. But riding with 5000 RPM is also fine.

The engine runs very lean - emission requirements. In city traffic my bike uses about 4.5 - 5.0l per 100km. In general the engine mapping seems to be perfect. The bike works the same if it is cold or hot. The fan is able to cool the water to normal temperature even in hot weather and stop and go traffic. That is definitely very good. I had overheating problems with other bikes in Bangkok.

The frame is the same for the 125 - 390 Duke. It's narrow with very good handling. It's not as small as i.e. my Suzuki Raider 150 but it's small enough for most gaps between cars. And the turn radius is small to maneuver between stopped cars. The seat height is relative high. Anybody shorter than maybe 180cm should better check it.

Brakes and ABS are very good.

The bike is designed for fun and city and twisting roads and works perfect in those conditions. Riding over 100km/h it get's windy. I think I never had it over 130km/h. The bike can easily do that but I wouldn't want to use it on long trips with "high" speed.

There is an interner forum only for the Duke 390 with lots of information. There is also lots of info of differences between the old and new model.

https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/

There are lots of videos out there. I think this one is a nice summary.

And then there is RokBagorosStuntrider who shows you all the stunts which are possible with that bike - I won't try 10% of them...

Ok, that's enough for now. Let me know if you want more details.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Agusts said:

Now that might worth a test drive at that price, at higher prices also check out Kawa Z250S as someone mentioned, I think it also has ABS and service and parts better available at Kawa...

The Kawa will be like supermarket vanilla ice cream - The KTM (esp the new 390) would be like Ben and Jerry's choco mint chip ......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

So cheap how much are these things new........I would a bit wary of bikes like that,,possibly crash repaired.

KTM is leaving Thailand. Within the last year they sold new bikes with considerable discount. I guess that will influence also the price of 2nd hand bikes. And the bike in the ad is an old model. I guess it will be more and more difficult to sell them for a good price.