SURVEY: Bangkok, sinking into the sea or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Bangkok, sinking into the sea or not?  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, zhounan said:

Do you have any link to these documentary?

this is the sort of doco, along the desired lines... goto from about 1m30 onwards...

sunken streets, walls, windows; raised streets etc etc

took me a while to re-find this one in my youtube viewing history; recalling having seen it months ago!

• Thanks 1

Conduct a survey? For what purpose? Science and truth have never progressed through public opinion. (And the public is ignorant about most science and truth.)

The average head is 90% empty and 10% filled with paid-for propaganda, and any survey will reflect that.

• Thanks 1

If anyone is interested in a literary vision of submerged Krungthep, there is a great book by Paolo Bacigalupi, "The Windup Girl":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Windup_Girl

Huge sea walls, pumps, biotech, gene hacking, elephants and the occassional android. A pretty good read if sci-fi is your cup of tea.

Didn't they pump a shedload of concrete into Bangkok's 'foundations' some ten-fifteen + years ago, or at least plan to?

I have a vague recollection of meeting a team of British engineers who were in Bangkok for a while working or consulting on this project? It sounded like lunacy at the time, but these dudes assured me that it would work

10 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

Didn't they pump a shedload of concrete into Bangkok's 'foundations' some ten-fifteen + years ago, or at least plan to?

I have a vague recollection of meeting a team of British engineers who were in Bangkok for a while working or consulting on this project? It sounded like lunacy at the time, but these dudes assured me that it would work

They build on concrete poles in Bangkok and always have - that is why buildings remain at same level but roads subside.  Even normal home here has poles (not just a floating foundation).  

8 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Someone missed a decimal point.  The average subsidence is about 1 - 3 cm per year, depending on which part of Bangkok you are looking at.  The researcher probably stated that Bangkok has sunk 20cm in the past 20 years, and the scientifically illiterate reporter probably took that as the yearly figure.

Sea Level Rise depends on two things: melting polar and glacial ice and thermal expansion.  Thermal expansion affects the tropical areas the most.  Global average sea level rise, based on satellite data, is about 3.3 millimeters per year, with some areas only going up 1mm per year and others going up at 5 or 6mm per year.  When you add this to the local land subsidence, it is easy to see that Bangkok will be flooded within 3 decades unless extensive sea walls are built.

Considerable subsidence is the result of the constant pumping of ground water from within the Bangkok area. 

• Like 1

Logic suggests that you can only pump anything out of the ground for so long before the ground sinks. My guess is it may be happening in Bangkok.

But given how flooding does what it does when it wants to (my grandfather lived about a quarter mile from Chao Phraya and had water chest high in one of the recent floods), the ground sinking is but a small issue compared to the 800 pound gorilla of flooding in the room.

But still, it's always good to have facts. If the ground is indeed sinking, that could cause a lot of problems. Underground trains come to mind. I know there are others.

If the skyscrapers are sinking, hopefully they sink equally. A vertical tilt could create a nasty mess.

I once read about a tall building in California that was sinking and more on one side than the other, thus, leaning in the process (no link available, don't ask).

4 hours ago, neeray said:

If the skyscrapers are sinking, hopefully they sink equally. A vertical tilt could create a nasty mess.

I once read about a tall building in California that was sinking and more on one side than the other, thus, leaning in the process (no link available, don't ask).

Just try to outdo Piza. 

17 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Sea walls won't protect BKK unless they also divert the Chao Praya River (but where to?).

Should build a causeway from Pattaya to Hua hin and drain the bay. Would drop the water level by 2.75 metres.

Make sure to move the subs first though.

Edited by owl sees all
Replaced "," with ".".

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Should build a causeway from Pattaya to Hua hin and drain the bay. Would drop the water level by 2.75 metres.

Make sure to move the subs first though.

One more Dyke around BKK can't hurt... 

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

When BKK is flooded TAT can reuse the old tourist slogan "Venice of the East", eventually updated to "Amazing Venice of the East"...????

"Visit Amazing Bang..." - Oops, where would it go...?? Okay. "Visit Amazing Uthai Thani"...

Edited by StayinThailand2much