Pattaya: Locals sell their houses after being driven away by trash

webfact

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only say 2 things.

Do not know about the dark side, but in Pattaya City, have changed the contractors, new ones have brand new cars, collect every second day, always friendly guys(may be just the ones in my soi) and never leave a mess.

Do not think dark side uses the same contractors.

Another interesting part with OP, it states people are selling up and moving, so who is buying then?

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

Is not my rubbish. Why I take resposabilty for that? 

Because I am thai? I never been to Pattaya. Maybe the people there take resposabilty better. Or not? 

Yinn is the human punch bag for TVF member for everything bad in thailand.

i not the government, I not the police, I can not control the thai people. Last week in Pattaya, the farang not pay his worker, the farang kick his wife brake the leg, sell the drug, steal the money. 

You able to take resposabilty for that? Or not?

Nobody said you should take responsibility though did they.

You choose to come onto this thread and (wrongly) accuse foreigners of being responsible for the rubbish , dont start crying because your nonsensical claims have been thoroughly debunked.

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Dear King. 

Sorry I not clear. Is true. Poor English.

When I say foreigners and not locals. 

“Not locals” = the new thai that go live here. I not mean “only foreigner”

The “traditional” “original”  owner of that area complain about that. All the new people go live there. 

Most the people live in Pattaya now is NOT original/traditional people (maybe this word no correct also)

I am wrong, I am sorry. Not clear.

But I still say. Pattaya is famous for dirty. Is famous a lot of foreigner live there.

(And non local Thai)

Community must together, all will be like this. This one area, but everywhere Pattaya so dirty. The other thred talk about that. 

Thank you for your clarification , at least it makes sense to a point.

However this is not just a problem in Pattaya , I have travelled extensively within Thailand and most villages and towns have rubbish dumped everywhere.

This is a result of an ill educated population and embedded corruption , it needs to be addressed but as always nothing concrete is done.

There will be high profile campaigns but they are never backed up with meaningful enforcement. Foreigners will be fined thousands of baht for dropping a cigarette butt yet a local Thai will drop a lorry full of rubbish at the roadside and there will just be a shrug.

The environment concerns everybody , Thai trash floats across the oceans , its no good saying its ' not my problem because my home is tidy '.

On my first trip to Thailand, Surat Thani City where my companion of the time lived, she and her family took me to a restaurant in the countryside on the second afternoon/evening. I observed these huge piles of rubbish directly adjacent to decent country homes, small but decent.

So I ask my gf, "why is there a huge garbage pile beside most of these homes?". Her answer, "that's the way it is done in Thailand".

Coming from clean Canada, I was appalled. Many trips later and having travelled numerous areas of Thailand, I am still appalled.

Back home, a well-healed/well-travelled business associate commented that I had been away. He asked where I had travelled to. When I told him Thailand, he said, "yuck, that place is filthy". Turns out he had been once, never to return. I felt bad for Thailand.

Foot note: My companion owned a small "townhome" on the edge of the city. Her moo baan was very clean and was serviced by a garbage disposal arrangement.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Another interesting part with OP, it states people are selling up and moving, so who is buying then?

As these homes must be being sold below market value, to get away from the seemingly unsolvable garbage issue, I assume that the low income people who are selling and moving, they will be replaced by even "lower" income people.

Thus, the community will quite possibly fail to improve, may even further degrade.

18 hours ago, ezzra said:

This is what happens when 4,000 residents in 1,280 houses say 'This is not my problem' instead to get together and find a working solution they''d rather sell out and let someone else deal with it...

But its only the resident's on the estate thats dumped the trash their no doubt. A cctv would help to identify the culprits.

6 hours ago, wisperone said:

The difference of living in a 1st world country vs. a 3rd world country. Might as well be in Africa.

I think African people probably take care and have some pride

There are probably people in Thailand who take care also

ultimately proper infrastructure costs money and those that are tasked would rather enrich themselves (stuff money in their pockets) than improve the country, they have had 30 years of tourism and what have they done …………….. nothing, they fight amongst themselves for power and control - of what...………………...the money

you can't help stupid and while Thailand continues to be run by greedy stupid people nothing will change, I said years ago that Thailand needs a popular uprising - not red shirt or yellow or military, the good people wanting change - not going to happen

Thailand will stagnate and eventually lead to economic destruction while others in the region thrive 

Factories are closing and people are being sacked, employees are complaining about not being paid their wages - I have never seen that happen here before except in the 90's

Is history repeating ?

it probably is

3 hours ago, NoComment said:

The Chinese will buy them cheap for investment and guess what? The rubbish problem will no longer exist

According to some previous posts in this thread, the Chinese are even worse.

Furthermore, it's often reported that maintenance and repairs are non existent in absentee ownership because nobody is there to care.

The Chinese have invested in many condo units in the developed western country where I come from. The horror stories about these vacant or rented out units are abundant.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Some people have already sold up and moved out - and more are planning to do so at the start of next year. 

Well good luck with that plan.  The photo should ensure a steady stream of prospective Thai buyers.

In my village garbage is faithfully collected twice weekly.  Now if the populace only knew how to utilize the garbage bins - perhaps that could be a school project - assign one class each day to patrol the streets, pick up the garbage and place it in the bins where it should be.  Maybe by doing this the children would learn that it is easier to use the bins than it is to walk the streets picking up garbage.  Perhaps the kids could even educate their parents!

17 hours ago, Rimmer said:

All is not lost,  Lotus Pattaya today have disappeared all the plastic bags and replaced them with brown paper ones with their logo on them.

We had the same experience a few weeks ago;
it has lasted a day! :crazy:
The next day the plastic bags are returned to the crates and yesterday, doing some shopping at the Lotus Sawang Daen Din, still plastic bags ...:crying:

2 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

In my village garbage is faithfully collected twice weekly.  Now if the populace only knew how to utilize the garbage bins - perhaps that could be a school project - assign one class each day to patrol the streets, pick up the garbage and place it in the bins where it should be.  Maybe by doing this the children would learn that it is easier to use the bins than it is to walk the streets picking up garbage.  Perhaps the kids could even educate their parents!

In Sawang Daen Din domntown garbage is collecting everyday ;

the town is relatively clean ...

A quick visit to the place where the trash trucks go to empty  their contents ..

It is a few hundred meters from the national road 2280 which goes to Kham Ta Khla and just at the edge of a very large rice depot ...:crying:

You will notice that the municipality has bought two large boilers that have of course never been maintained and therefore have not worked for a long time ...

P1080355_red_roads_close_Sawang.thumb.JPG.046788507bae32e55686795240330864.JPG

P1080363_red_roads_close_Sawang.thumb.JPG.ef48c8e2c9db414bc4107d92a0bc66d2.JPG

P1080364_red_roads_close_Sawang.thumb.JPG.32840eeb24d48a897b9a618ad1de8e4e.JPG

P1080365_red_roads_close_Sawang.thumb.JPG.e7b7513048846883b3f44894c281bc70.JPG

a sea of s.hit :1zgarz5:

P1080367_red_roads_close_Sawang.thumb.JPG.c7181e32d25671625be31141529dac99.JPG

Archived