American fugitive Bart Allen Helmus dies after shooting himself moments before arrest by Thai police

snoop1130

12 hours ago, BestB said:

Like him or not, but turns out he was the only one with balls.

May have been a hardcore criminal but may also have been a decent man to save her from life in jail.

What sort of twisted logic is this? A low life American drug trafficker is dead. The world can rejoice.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

During their escape Helmus stabbed a court guard while Nilthes, who was armed with a gun, forced other guards to hand over the keys to their ankle chains

I suspect Nilthes is going to go back to jail for a very long time after his escapades with a gun, just what he didn't want to do as he said he couldn't face jail another time... 

The wife is going to face some jail time too, nice start for the baby!

As for Helmus.. well what a waste of a life, he made his own decision where he was going to end up.

12 hours ago, BestB said:

He first shot her and then himself, her injuries are minor, she is also pregnant and baby unharmed.

So perhaps shooting her was a plan to get her off as i explained earlier

I love tinfoil hat land.

3 hours ago, Langkawee said:

Better to be Chinese than farang that's for sure. Has anyone ever studied and researched this phenomenon of how divisive the farang expat community in Thailand is to their detriment. Chinese and Japanese citizens are very well looked after because they show solidarity when their citizens are scammed, jailed, unjustly accused of crimes or murdered. They are well aware of the reality of such accusations. My only guess is Thais know farang are pathetic bufallo and any crime against them is easy. They know that's not possible with Chinese or Japanese tourists or expats. So farang must get used to being victims and long jail sentences for crimes never committed and their entire wealth disappearing. In such a corrupt country with open contempt for farang it is mind boggling how readily Thai Visa members accuse farang in Thailand of crimes they never did. Astounding really. Low IQ I can only assume of many expats in Thailand. or is it the pressing need to be delusional, to wear rose tinted glasses, to pretend everything is above board in Thailand and everything is squeaky clean 555? A most unusual phenomenon. 

Some very good points

11 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Did I see a cop come out of the office on the left, see what was going on and run back into the office? You know, then come back out after the criminals had left. 

Maybe a stash of donuts in the office, easy to get distracted.

13 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

I’m sure he could have paid the police off to get a lower sentence.

Not if he was dealing in their turf.

The reason I say that is because I know of a Thai guy who was dealing, small time in an area that is strictly a police area for dealing drugs in, i.e. they have their people dealing for them, suffice to say, he starting dealing in their area, thought he was smart, was set up with 1,200 yabba dabba doo pills and then shipped off, no money/bribe/offers, just straight off, now out of the way for at least a decade and it's back to business for the local cops.

Welcome to Thailand, anything's possible here.

1 hour ago, simtemple said:

What sort of twisted logic is this? A low life American drug trafficker is dead. The world can rejoice.

If it was close to 1kg he probably sold none, so he probably  was not a trafficker, a wanna be trafficker perhaps, or a heavy user. Possibly a set up. Sell and arrest. That's entrapment in some countries. At least he had a Thai Visa trial 555

28 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not if he was dealing in their turf.

The reason I say that is because I know of a Thai guy who was dealing, small time in an area that is strictly a police area for dealing drugs in, i.e. they have their people dealing for them, suffice to say, he starting dealing in their area, thought he was smart, was set up with 1,200 yabba dabba doo pills and then shipped off, no money/bribe/offers, just straight off, now out of the way for at least a decade and it's back to business for the local cops.

Welcome to Thailand, anything's possible here.

A farang will ALWAYS be dealing on a Thais turf, just a matter of time before arrested or executed. Silly boy. Unnecessary mistake. Let this be a lesson to another wanna be farang drug dealers. It's never ever ever going to end well unless a farang likes being on ice in the morgue. 

10 hours ago, Traveling Jack said:

How many 1000s of  foreigners have been falsy accused and sentenced to horrendous sentences the last 20 years in thailand.

I'm sure you can give as a list with this 1000s of falsy accused and sentenced foreigners!!! Or not???

13 minutes ago, snowgard said:

I'm sure you can give as a list with this 1000s of falsy accused and sentenced foreigners!!! Or not???

Let it be a warning to all parents to never allow their children to visit. Only Chinese and Japanese are cared for. And don't expect for any help from your fellow farang, when falsely accused, and who suffer from a peculiar kind of Stockholm syndrome because they are so sad that they were not born Thai so they could hate on farang even more and be brought up in a law abiding uncorrupt paradise 555 555 555 555

3 hours ago, nightfox said:

He was looking at the death penalty or life in prison according to a few news articles for the 1kg of drugs, so anyway you look at this he was dead one way or another. Cant blame him for the brazen escape and taking his own life instead rotting in a Thai prison.

Which proves that different psychologies may differ, for me as long as there is life there is hope!

3 hours ago, generealty said:

If the gunshot wound did not kill him the ride in the back of the pick up truck would have. Some years ago I was knocked over by a motorbike and people rushed into the road to pull me up even though I was clearly in pain and could have done even more damage with their good intentions. Then I was whisked away in the back of an emergency pick up truck and no kidding I could very easily have broken my back from that ride alone. A fully kitted out ambulance with paramedics are required most other places. So difficult to identify what injury is caused at accident site or that of the ride to hospital. 

Not much better riding in a Scottish ambulance over speed bumps, I can tell you that, lying down on a metal stretcher, and no pillow of any kind! I lost consiousness pretty fast!

14 hours ago, BestB said:

Like him or not, but turns out he was the only one with balls.

Also unsure if planned or not, but wifey with a good lawyer might just be able to walk free now.

Her defense could and should be , i was not involved, he was forcing me, he was a violent man, 

He is dead,so can not confirm/deny, he did shoot her, while she is pregnant, so evidence enough of being violent.

Might just get a few months or rehab and walk free.

May have been a hardcore criminal but may also have been a decent man to save her from life in jail.

So you honestly believe this piece of dog <deleted> was thinking about saving his wife from spending her life in jail when he shot himself in the head??!!!   Yeah he was probably a decent man.  He was so decent he had no hesitation stabbing a police officer to escape jail so he wouldn’t have to pay for his crimes.   Sounds like he was a real decent man.  He was going to spend his life in jail or be executed.  That’s what was going through his mind.  If he gave a rats ass about his wife he would have never dragged her into his sorry life of crime.

2 hours ago, varun said:

1.0000 kg = 1 kg - adding 0's after a decimal point doesn't really add anything.

In some countries the point is use or a space in Europe one thousand coul be  written 1.000 or 1 000 and it is notorious that this can create a misunderstanding with for example the sums written in the United States. 

The fact that he is an American citizen it is certain that Thailand would not have liked very much to declare our police killed him,
As a result, we will never know if it's true or not, maybe he committed suicide, maybe not! And I do not lean more for one sense than for the other

never believe the Thai police would be exaggerated always believe them on their word is exaggerated as much so  50/50.

As Langkawi has said, the courts in Thailand are highly suspect. Try this for size - and I am not making this up. About ten years ago I was enjoying a quiet beer on a Sunday night in a then famous Chiang Mai go-go bar. Quiet night, sat next to a bloke who turned out to be an expat from Oz. He explained that his Thai missus had convinced him to get involved with selling ya-ba, as her family had a connection. They made heaps he said, right up until they were dobbed in by a neighbour jealous of their lifestyle. He told me "the wife didn't have a lawyer, so she got 15 years, but I had all the money and got a very good lawyer and the judge gave me 12 months in jail". I asked him when he had got out of jail, to which he replied "I haven't yet - I've still got 4 months to go" ! When I sought further info, he told me his lawyer had made some sort of $deal with the boss of the CM prison, to let him out of prison at 1800 every Sunday night so he could get a feed of western food (and a bonk) on the strict proviso that he return, like Cinderella, before 2400 hours ! You couldn't make up stuff like this. Amazing Thailand. So liberated. 

Archived