Flat growth in tourist arrivals to Chiang Mai

snoop1130

After Loi Krathong the hotel and especially the hostel bookings are low again. Chinese prefer good hotels and will never stay in dormitories like western backpackers. Also they like Airbnb. If the new ASTRA with more then 600 Condos and the ad, that they are "Airbnb friendly", the hotels will loose more guests.

4 weeks ago I was at the Eat@Rincome restaurant. They told me that the U Hotel (4*) is fully booked - by Koreans. 

• Like 1

How can 4,000 hotels add only 10,000 rooms ?

The BEST advertising for ANY City/Country is by

Word of Mouth. Scamming tourists will NOT help

Tourism as will a strong Thai currency.

Agree with the poster that said CM is over built

in the hospitality sector. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The main factors influencing a tourist’s buying decision usually include room price, competitiveness, and marketing strategies such as plane ticket prices, said Bungsrithong, adding that the cost of air travel to Chiang Mai would rise in line with increasing number of visitors to the province. 

And the common denominator is the high strength of the Baht.......QED 

10 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Went out last night to the ping river area and lanterns were banned about 200 people there from last years 5,000 another tourism catastrophe ????  

Lanterns is a hazard to planes flying to get into the Chiang Mai airport and also might cause fire on rooftops. 

The lanterns ban is lifted only for certain remote area that airplanes don't fly low and not many houses there.

• Sad 2

Definitely lanterns being let off from Ping River area but probably only a few locations. Much less in the way of noise and fireworks. Seemed pretty quiet compared to previous years, but then downtown in previous years has often resembled a warzone. Accommodation at the lower end has been booked out for the Loy Kratong days but after is anyones guess. Anyone in business for many years in CM might be thinking about the old tale of the hare and the tortoise. Hares are mostly toast.

9 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

After Loi Krathong the hotel and especially the hostel bookings are low again. Chinese prefer good hotels and will never stay in dormitories like western backpackers.

They should be happy then with all those Boutique Hotels they built. The ones that are unoccupied  :whistling:   

At Loy Khraotng last night, & walking streets on the weekend. Japanese and Koreans are the main asian tourists out there. If the Chinese don't arrive in numbers, going to be a long High Season.

2 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

At Loy Khraotng last night, & walking streets on the weekend. Japanese and Koreans are the main asian tourists out there. If the Chinese don't arrive in numbers, going to be a long High Season.

How did you differentiate between Chinese, Japanese and Korean tourists?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Just now, EricTh said:

How do you differentiate between Chinese, Japanese and Korean tourists?

Language :biggrin:, not that I speak it but I certainly can differentiate between K,J and Chinese.     I went to both walking streets this last weekend, and I was shocked by that fact. Chinese are here of course but ....  Wooops

BTW a small group of Chinese tourists mini bussed in -had sky lanterns at Wat Chaimongkhon last night when I was there. Besides them no one else was sending them up. They seemed to get a preferential treatment in that regard.

Edited by LomSak27

1 minute ago, LomSak27 said:

Language :biggrin:    I went to both walking streets this last weekend, and I was shocked by that fact. Chinese are here of course but ....  Ooops

And you studied all three languages or are guessing based on the sounds they made?

8 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I worked in both Korea and Japan and still have passable Korean. Hey Don't believe me, get your hiney out there to both walking streets next week and see if I'm wrong. Check out out Airport and Festival malls while you're at it. Don't just sit at the keyboard, cyber whinge-ing & reading footie scores. Get out there, do some first hand reconnaissance. Make us proud!!

I would agree with that , have heard a lot of Japanese and Korean being spoken. Also Chinese around, but not so noticeably skewed towards Chinese as in the last few years.

• Like 1

The interest in Chiang Mai is as intense as ever. True there is the strong baht. But there is also Airbnb and low-cost flights. And at home, full employment and wage inflation. And the Chinese love Chiang Mai because it is so cheap - an OP mentioned The Astra, so I looked it up on Airbnb : where else can you get a 5-star hotel condo with rooftop landscaped eternity pool and a 50 sq meter apartment for 1200 baht a night?

What is overlooked is the changing ways travellers and tourists realise their goal of exotic experiences and sites. They want more, not less.

So these days prospects suss out destinations on Instagram and Facebook and Tripadvisor and Travelfish.  They now know what they want to see and have seen the half of it already, before leaving the office. They know what they want to focus on more than before times.

And this also means length of stay has been halved. Now, a "guest" can stay three or four days in Chiang Mai instead of a week; and spend the rest visiting Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle. 

Which is why the number of visitors is misleading as it is number of nights and average daily spend that is important. 

Edited by MartinKal
Check The Astra

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Lanterns is a hazard to planes flying to get into the Chiang Mai airport and also might cause fire on rooftops. 

The lanterns ban is lifted only for certain remote area that airplanes don't fly low and not many houses there.

The airport was closed for flights same as other recent years????

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Most of the new hotels are small premises located in the Old City area and Nimmanhemin Road using online platforms such as Airbnb to promote short-term accommodation.

... and owned by Chinese companies.

• Like 1

According to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MOTS) (Source) there were only 36,000 rooms in 2018. In one year, according to the  President of the Northern Thai Hotel Association, La-Iad Bungsrithong, that number nearly doubled. 

Also, the number of guests in these hotels was 8,360,997 and was made up by the following figures for 2018.

Jan-March

Number of Guest Arrivals    2,379,304 
           Thai    1,540,671
           Foreigners    838,633

Apr-Jun

Number of Guest Arrivals    1,898,615 
           Thai    1,212,552
           Foreigners    686,063
Jul-Sep

Number of Guest Arrivals    1,787,871 
           Thai    1,070,168
           Foreigners    717,703
Oct-Dec

Number of Guest Arrivals    2,295,207 
           Thai    1,585,563
           Foreigners    709,644
Foreign tourists have never outnumbered Thai tourists in Chiang Mai. Someone is not telling the truth.

38 minutes ago, 0815 said:

... and owned by Chinese companies.

Would be nice to see some statistics of how many of the new places are built on 30 year leases held by Chinese are by proxy companies funded by Chinese. I think it is quite  a few.

For some reason I awoke with thoughts of the Great Leap Forward which of course was followed by the great famine/crash. Except this time we will probably all be going along for the ride!