Samui: Russian on huge overstay arrested while having his lunch!

webfact

6 hours ago, Scot123 said:

What a nasty twisted person you are. Revelling in someone's ill fortune. Yes he overstayed, he has been caught and he will suffer and be treated worse than a dog for who knows how long before being deported and your cheering. Phew... 

just read every post of this poster, I won't say no more.

6 hours ago, Scot123 said:

This really disgusts me. The way people are paraded in front of the media like master criminals; degraded and humiliated paraded with xenophobic words that would cause such outcry if used to describe Asians (christ how upset they got over Clarkson's "it's got a slant on it" talking about a rickety wooden bridge that had a slant). Yep people on here cheer and chant "kill, kill, kill" it disgusts me. Immigration police should look for and deport Overstayers and deport them even banning for life (a bit harsh but OK if you must). Best of luck Mr Russian man hope your journey now is short and swift to get out of Thailand and you manage to sort out your affairs. 

Actually the word Clarkson used was "slope" which was an "insult" that hardly anybody had heard of until the mass hysteria set in.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let me get this straight: The guy had 8 years overstay but he carried his passport with him when he had lunch so that the police could check it.

Really?

I bet he had "Stamps" in his passport, but they were all fake.  They might pass a cursory visual check, but not a database check

•  
  • Members
  • 279 posts
16 hours ago, uesnyc said:

If only US Homeland security could get it done like this.

Likewise UK

Oh the US can do it.  But all they do is register as illegal aliens, then give them food vouchers, free medical, loan companies get their names and addresses and contact them to try and get them to take out home mortgages, etc.  I don't know how many countries find, then register illegal aliens yet then they can stay.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Okay, he was on overstay. But what had he done to be 'undesirable'? I assume he paid his way.

And it took only eight officers to arrest him. Well done lads. The usual Thai-style 8 on 1 :cheesy:

I would not assume he paid his way.  More often than not they are working illegally without a work permit (that's why they did not or could not get a proper B visa).  Or if not working, they have not and can not provide any proper long term visa with the right financial proofs.  So that quickly leads to illicit means of making money while in Thailand. 

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Irrelevant and off topic.

Yes, right! No problem then, why do something so stupid and crazy like visas exist? Then we can just live in any country we wish, spend our mney and all will be fine and above board. :crazy: Not a little bit nutty, right?

He has been doing that on overstay. That´s what´s wrong. If he now had all that money, you are talking about. Why did he then not take care of, or cared about his visa? Even if thatwould make him only can stay in Thailand 6 month maximum per year if living on tourist visas. Just because he might have had money to spend, does not mean he is allowed to break Immigration rules.

What’s nutty is bothering about what a stranger has done in a country that you weren’t born in? Why his arrest would give you pleasure is beyond me and many others on here ... there’s something abnormal about getting off on someone else’s downfall.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I’m disgusted by your spelling!

All he’s done is spend all his money in Thailand for almost 8 years, harming no one, least of all Thai people, who have been the main beneficiaries of his spending.

You do not know that he has been spending "his" money in Thailand.  He most likely was working illegally, otherwise he would have a B visa and work permit.  He most likely is not spending his money brought in from abroad, because if he did, then he would have gotten a proper long term visa, which in his case might be problematic since he does not look like he is over 50, so his only proper available visas would be an Elite Visa, or perhaps one of the business investment visas, none of which he had.  His so called money was most likely obtained illegally inside of Thailand, paid no taxes, etc.  And that is not even saying he maybe "earning" money in other ways such as drug dealing.   If he was one of the so called Tour guides, well, again, breaking the law most likely.    Let's assume he is a fairly legit person and does have money from overseas sources.  Well, then it is still grossly unfair to others the he was allowed to have been in country so long without going through the visa and immigration processes all the proper long stay people go through.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

What’s nutty is bothering about what a stranger has done in a country that you weren’t born in? Why his arrest would give you pleasure is beyond me and many others on here ... there’s something abnormal about getting off on someone else’s downfall.

It does not give me pleasure but as long time many time visited tourist who was planning on semi retiring to Thailand, when guys like him get away with this, it makes more trouble for the rest of law abiding expats, that do all the paperwork, pay all the fees, etc

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

And there is something abnormal about not understanding, like you appearently jave big problems with.

I does not give me pleasure, and I am definately not getting off on this. I suppose that is just a formation of word and expressions you use for not beeing able to make normal discussions. Like something a tough guy would use n the street to get his kick of respect.

I am getting a lot of pain fron this, though, and most probably we all get a lot of hardship from immigration, just because of the big amount of bad apples that comes to Thailand and think they can do as they wish.

The only abnormal, as already stated, is that you can not understand that.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So when push came to shove, would you use the Immigration Police snitch-line?

After you and your friends had unfriended him I mean?

What do you think is best? See to that a person gets away from his problem and help him home? Or is it just let him be and give him help year after year with different things he need and not dare to do without a visa, until everybody finally gets tired of him and he get caught? Maybe then in an even harder position in life.

That is not called unfriend somebody in my book. It´s called helping a friend. Thailand has a magic power to get the grip on people, and sometimes they can not understand whats the best choice out of that reason. Probably something you would not understand.

The first thing that would happen is that he gets help coming home and clearing his problems with fines if that is his problems. Not reporting at first.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So you don't agree that there's a bigger picture viz who can qualify for a long term stay in Thailand? It's all about those pesky, overstaying, illegally working bad apples?

Good to know you've read the Thailand 4.0 guide book though. Makes you truly special... on this forum anyway. Is that the official one as published in the Royal Gazette

or is it the Thailand 4.0 for Dummies you can find on lazada?

I guess my admittedly ill-judged attempt to appear to join your legion of professional Thai bashers was doomed to fail. You guys are good. I just need to work out what for.

What has Thailand 4.0 to do with this? They are not clear out of 1.0 yet.

Edited by Matzzon

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What do you think is best? See to that a person gets away from his problem and help him home? Or is it just let him be and give him help year after year with different things he need and not dare to do without a visa, until everybody finally gets tired of him and he get caught? Maybe then in an even harder position in life.

That is not called unfriend somebody in my book. It´s called helping a friend. Thailand has a magic power to get the grip on people, and sometimes they can not understand whats the best choice out of that reason. Probably something you would not understand.

The first thing that would happen is that he gets help coming home and clearing his problems with fines if that is his problems. Not reporting at first.

I agree wholeheartedly with assisting a fellow foreigner and especially a friend but I can't see where you can determine it's "Probably something you would not understand."  Anyway, regardless of your misconception, maybe you are unfamiliar with the concept of 'when push comes to shove' in my earlier post so I will try and explain.

After all the good work and honest intentions of you and your friends over time to help the hypothetical friend who has mismanaged and continues to abuse his Thai immigration status, the hypothetical friend spurns all good advice, chooses to 'go dark', fly under the immigration radar and overstay.

With your earlier stated conviction that such abusers of the system imperils your good standing here in Thailand, would you call the 1178 'snitch-line'?

A simple Yes or No answer will suffice, unembellished by incorrect assumptions or further obfuscation.

2 hours ago, justin case said:

how did he survive 8 years with no job ?

Is there anything in the OP article to suggest that he wasn't working here or getting paid here?

That's irrelevant anyway as it is his immigration status that got him arrested and no mention of the Labour Department being involved.

23 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I agree wholeheartedly with assisting a fellow foreigner and especially a friend but I can't see where you can determine it's "Probably something you would not understand."  Anyway, regardless of your misconception, maybe you are unfamiliar with the concept of 'when push comes to shove' in my earlier post so I will try and explain.

After all the good work and honest intentions of you and your friends over time to help the hypothetical friend who has mismanaged and continues to abuse his Thai immigration status, the hypothetical friend spurns all good advice, chooses to 'go dark', fly under the immigration radar and overstay.

With your earlier stated conviction that such abusers of the system imperils your good standing here in Thailand, would you call the 1178 'snitch-line'?

A simple Yes or No answer will suffice, unembellished by incorrect assumptions or further obfuscation.

Yes, I probably would. Was that clear enough for you? I thought I made my stance clear.

Edited by Matzzon

10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

It does not give me pleasure but as long time many time visited tourist who was planning on semi retiring to Thailand, when guys like him get away with this, it makes more trouble for the rest of law abiding expats, that do all the paperwork, pay all the fees, etc

It’s makes no difference to you or anyone else. Thailand doesn’t want you, something you haven’t woken up to ... something the Russian understood.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Of course he would, he call the snitch line and store the memory in the wank bank for later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1