Frenchman plunges to his death taking selfie at Koh Samui waterfall

webfact

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That you can try on somebody else. They are all same dumb in my book. It´s very strange that so many comes out and state that it was very dumb choices in their lifes, after they got free from thier addiction. Whatever that one might have been.

So you have never found yourself addicted to anything? You have never had an unhealthy relationship with any kind of vice ever in your life? It's too easy and dismissive to simply state - it's all simply 'being dumb', it's a lot more nuanced than that. The reasons behind the behaviour are what count even more than the behaviour itself in many cases.

I notice you don't even try to rebutt my above arguments re: tech, either. ????

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

So you have never found yourself addicted to anything? You have never had an unhealthy relationship with any kind of vice ever in your life? It's too easy and dismissive to simply state - it's all simply 'being dumb', it's a lot more nuanced than that. The reasons behind the behaviour are what count even more than the behaviour itself in many cases.

I notice you don't even try to rebutt my above arguments re: tech, either. ????

Ooh yes! I have an severe addiction today. I am addicted to Thai Visa, And I know for sure that I am dumb enough to sit read and post a lot of 5h1t there every single day. That´s todays strong poison. Hard to get free from too.. :crazy::cheesy:

7 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Ooh yes! I have an severe addiction today. I am addicted to Thai Visa, And I know for sure that I am dumb enough to sit read and post a lot of 5h1t there every single day. That´s todays strong poison. Hard to get free from too.. :crazy::cheesy:

Well there ya go then! Answered your own question. Or are you saying you're an idiot!? ????????

By the way I don't disagree that there A LOT of stupid people out there ????

9 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Well there ya go then! Answered your own question. Or are you saying you're an idiot!? ????????

By the way I don't disagree that there A LOT of stupid people out there ????

Of course, I am an idiot. That´s the easiest way to fit in and be as incognito as possible in todays wierd society. ????

If you try to prove yourself otherwise, then you stand out in the crowd.

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Of course, I am an idiot. That´s the easiest way to fit in and be as incognito as possible in todays wierd society. ????

Agreed!

'you stand out in the crowd.' - but for the right reasons surely?

I'd rather not be the same as everyone else in any meaningful sense anyway. <deleted> that.

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

no one suspected it might have been a deliberate selfie of the suicide ?

Perhaps even more surprising that nobody here suspects he was murdered on Koh Tao, and then brought to Samui and thrown from the waterfall to make it look like an accident....

17 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I think you'll find those that affected the greatest changes in our society for both good and bad throughout the ages, have been exactly the kind of people who did 'stand out in the crowd' and who didn't feel satisfied to simply 'fit in' and remain incognito. That's the point.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Darwin at work.

Does a person deserve to forfeit his life because of one stupid act? According to you, yes, right? Wonder what your death will look like? Darwin at work? Is that what your loved ones will say? OneLessA$$holeFarang is what others might. Think about it.  

2 hours ago, racket said:
4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Darwin at work.

Such a stupid comment.

Why? I know RIP and all that.

But obviously he was not fit enough to understand that if you take a risk you better be careful. Otherwise you are not part of the survival of the fittest group. And all because of a stupid selfie. 

21 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Does a person deserve to forfeit his life because of one stupid act? According to you, yes, right? Wonder what your death will look like? Darwin at work? Is that what your loved ones will say? OneLessA$$holeFarang is what others might. Think about it.  

I didn't force him to make that stupid picture of himself.

He could have made a picture from a different angle standing on firm ground.

But that's not what he did.

Did he deserve to die? Who deserves to die. But Darwin explained to us, at least to the people who listend, that the fittest will survive. Which makes a lot of sense for evolution. The guy with the selfie obviously didn't understand that concept.

Tourists and other world travelers losing their lives doing stupid things all the time....   selfies at the Grand Canyon in the U.S. fall to their death...

Selfies at the edge of tall buildings...slip and fall to their death... 

Young Japanese girl visiting Canada wants a photo of her standing on the other side of the safety railing next to the rushing water on its way to the falls...  at Niagara Falls, Canada... so she climbs over... slips and falls.. gets quickly carried by the rushing water the last few hundred feet to the brink.... and goes over the falls to her death while people all along the railing watched in horrror.. there simply being no time to do anything about it.

There are signs all over the place telling people about the danger and not to climb the railing.

Her heartbroken family in Japan fly to Canada to collect her remains. 

Backpacking travelers trying to get selfies slip and fall off cliff in the European Alps.... 

You can have all the warning signs you desire.... .  people are still going to ignore the warnings and do something supid and they end up dead. 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Might want to make them a bit bigger and more numerous. Not one, but two tragic deaths in the same spot, for the same reason.

So maybe a sign in that same spot saying that 2 people had died there and for what reason?

39 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Darwin explained to us, at least to the people who listend, that the fittest will survive. Which makes a lot of sense for evolution. The guy with the selfie obviously didn't understand that concept.

Well said.

If someone wants to express pity, be my guest but It's not about warning signs. It's about having enough common sense to survive and taking responsibility for your actions.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Every too often we hear about people losing their lives over a stupid acts of taking a selfies, as if life is not perilous enough as it is, now humanity has to deal with death as a results of new technologies...

Oh please, technology has doubtless made the world a far safer place. Too safe, in fact. Women used to have to worry about getting raped every time they stepped outside of their homes. Serial killers used to roam the Earth with little consequnece, leaving piles of death in their wake. The masses could be easily controlled via war and religion before technology. Protestors could be squashed immdietately before technology. Before technology, sociopaths ruled the planet and there was not much one could do if one happened to be born with the evolutionary disadvantage of being born with empathy. Now at least, people have a chance. Technology has given us that chance.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Might want to make them a bit bigger and more numerous. Not one, but two tragic deaths in the same spot, for the same reason.

There's on average two waterfall related deaths per year on Koh Samui the last twenty years, no signage is going to stop it. 

Always been western tourists although, Asians doesn't seem to have the same urge to climb waterfalls or maybe it's because they travel with their girlfriend or mother. 

In my youth I climbed that waterfall, almost died. 

Archived