Frenchman plunges to his death taking selfie at Koh Samui waterfall

webfact

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I would disagree there. I think there is a very strong argument for a link between the two, as do many.

People are becoming dumbed down in many instances because of excessive use of technology. Yes, you can of course use it to good effect by using it as tool to teach yourself and become better informed, as many people do including myself. But just as many people (in reality probably a lot more) all too often use technology to satisfy their own addictions to social media/gaming and other banal pursuits. The indulgence in such an array of mind-numbing vapidities - exhibit a - 'Candy Crush' is staggering today. There are hundreds if not thousands of examples, we can all think of many I'm sure. Before this tech existed a lot more people were forced to interact socially in person; rather than remotely, virtually or anonymously - much better for one's mental health and social ability/cognitive capacity too.  Fewer and fewer people read or devote time to intellectual pursuits these days, simultaenously the change in our now very dubious values and our radically reduced attention spans have in large part come about because of the advent of the social media age and the instant gratification culture that goes along with it.

Tech is near-solely responsible for this shift - well, our utter obsession with and dependence on it anyhow, but you can't have one without the other, can you?

Not to mention the exposure to EMR-RF (which wireless devices emit en-masse all day every day) has been shown to dull the senses in many animal test subjects as well as impair cognitive ability when subjects experienced overexposure to high frequency RW. There is a plethora of medical / scientific data out there from over 10,000 independent peer-reviewed studies which show evidence of the malign effects of overexposure to EMF-RF. We are insane to allow the rolling out 5g (totally untested) and for the IoT / smart-tech to take a hold of our lives even more than it already has.  

I agree with your post, but I do wish people would stop using abbreviations for some of these technological advances e.g. "EMR-RF" - <deleted>?

20 minutes ago, sambum said:

I agree with your post, but I do wish people would stop using abbreviations for some of these technological advances e.g. "EMR-RF" - <deleted>?

It's just a time-saving device mate. For lazy typers such as myself, especially if needing to be used repetitively.

For anyone who doesn't understand the meaning:

EMR - Electromagnentic radiation 

RF - Radio-wave frequency

Cheers.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The victim was taking a selfie when he slipped and fell, said Samitsak. 

A one of a kind selfie must make it all worthwhile, otherwise why risk it and when can we see it? 

Saw this 120KG + farang on the back of a honda motorcycle taxi driven by a 60 KG Thai guy, almost made the guy crash as he suddenly leaned out while videotaping himself with cell phone and his arm stretched out while driving through traffic on 2nd road. 

These people are idiots IMO. As OneMoreFarang says, "Darwin at work" 

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

It's maybe time to install here some fences also

Fences? Are you aware what you are talking about, do you know the place?

6 hours ago, OlegGrigorev said:

... 800 meters? Never in Samui ... 80 meters maybe?

Yes, it's 80 meters.

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

It's just a time-saving device mate. For lazy typers such as myself, especially if needing to be used repetitively.

For anyone who doesn't understand the meaning:

EMR - Electromagnentic radiation 

RF - Radio-wave frequency

Cheers.

OIC. TCTU. Tx.

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

It's maybe time to install here some fences also

I don't agree with that. People need to realise these are natural land features, not amusement parks with all the safety measures that come with them. I love Thailand's nature, and I'd like it to stay natural. 

Tragic story though, and condolences to the guy's family 

7 hours ago, Estrada said:

"Thai Rath noted that there are warning signs in the area". In French and Spanish? 

No, but I'm sure there are signs in Mandarin & Hindi. In the western countries, the signs are usually written in English with a picture indicating the hazard. Apart from completely closing the falls, there will always be fools that go that extra few feet and pay with their lives. After many studies, they have concluded you can't fix stupid.

Facebook and Instagram like competition can be deadly. This French guy wanted to win real bad. But I know many obsessed 24/7 with improving their count. Maybe even making it to influencer status.

Btw, please like this comment. It will help my self-worth. Thank you.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Every too often we hear about people losing their lives over a stupid acts of taking a selfies, as if life is not perilous enough as it is, now humanity has to deal with death as a results of new technologies...

Nah it is the same thing that has been killing them forever, stupidity and ignorance

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Might want to make them a bit bigger and more numerous. Not one, but two tragic deaths in the same spot, for the same reason.

RE - Might want to make them a bit bigger and more numerous

* Yes, and together with a fence to increase the threshold could make a difference ....

Archived